Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Result. I have a spare Mennekes cable. Kia UK confirmed in a tweet today that the U.K. model e Niro is 3 ph capable with the correct cable.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
errr.... but it only has a 7.2kWh charger on board, so charging will be no faster. :unsure:
err the 2020 model has the ability to 3 phase charge with a Mode 3 cable which you can buy from Kia at an outrageous cost of £280.

the UK 2019 model cant the Irish 2019 model can..

Horses mouth 👀👇

Reactions: Gary J

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,080 Posts
896927C9-D158-455A-98F2-0AC716EAACD1.png

According to the brochure for the Republic of Ireland, the e-Niro has a 11kW OBC.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 130852

According to the brochure for the Republic of Ireland, the e-Niro has a 11kW OBC.
yep that’s correct. With the 3 ph cable you can charge at 11kw instead of 7KW.
There’s a good thread on FB posted by an Irish guy in the Kia E Niro UK interest group.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yep that’s correct. With the 3 ph cable you can charge at 11kw instead of 7KW.
There’s a good thread on FB posted by an Irish guy in the Kia E Niro UK interest group.
Woo! 😮 Thanks for pointing that out. Kia haven't widely advertised this. Makes me wonder what else is different in the 2020 model that's not advertised. :unsure:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just check your charging port on the front of the car. If the lower two holes of the Type-2 connector have prongs in them, then it's a 3 phase onboard charger.

I certainly do not believe that the 2019 Irish car had this. And I reckon that 2020 UK owners would have spotted this already.

However, there's a real chance the the next batch of cars sitting in Immingham have them.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
However, there's a real chance the the next batch of cars sitting in Immingham have them.
Didn't the first batch of MY20 Kona's fail to have the advertised 11KW OBC?

Maybe they're just upgrading the OBC across the board? Wait and see I guess?

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's strange that Kia Customer Service would quote so specifically in an email. It could point to standardizing some components

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
It's strange that Kia Customer Service would quote so specifically in an email. It could point to standardizing some components
Maybe there’s an EU spec and a UK spec?

There would be quite a saving in fitting a single phase vs three phase OBC.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I feel like the only way to know exactly what the car's spec is, is to look yourself. Kia reps often disagree with what's in the published spec sheets, so I never know what to believe.

·
Registered
Kia eNiro MY20
11 Posts
My UK MY20 e-Niro, ordered 1st Feb last year and delivered end of March this year, does not have the extra pins for 3 phase charging and it's OBC is rated at 7.2kW. If there's been any change in spec then this sounds new...
20200602_185126.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can confirm that MY20 is getting 11 kW OBC, but it is a factory option (7,2 kW OBC is standard), so it depends on the particular market ordering specs.
In Germany it's a 500 EUR option, but in the Baltic region we get it as standard.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Does anyone make a 3-phase cable with 1*32A line for single-phase 7kw charging and 2* 16A lines for three-phase 11kw charging .. ?

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the Mennekes Mode 3 cable I have from my Tesla days does that job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I see it the 3 phase charging option would only be of use at a suitable public/workplace charge point as domestic properties in the UK only normally have a single phase incoming supply. To have a 3 phase supply fitted would be expensive as well as needing a 3 phase charge point, that is again more expensive than a standard unit.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
It is, but a lot of shopping/destination chargers do have three phase, so getting 50% more juice for free while you shop is worth carrying 50% more cable weight while you don't.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts