Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my title says, we're getting our first EV, an e-niro 4+ in just shy of a month! We're swapping a reliable and huge Passat for the (feels tiny) Kia.

Apart from rationalising what goes in the boot for family days out, and not taking the kids bikes anywhere any more - what words of warning, wish you'd have knowns, or top tips would have got you through your first week?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
Get a charger installed at home.

That's it. Enjoy.

Reactions: Whitling2k

·
Registered
177 Posts
. . .what words of warning, wish you'd have knowns, or top tips would have got you through your first week?
1. There is a lot to learn. There are masses of options and a lot of them are context driven i.e. sometimes an option is displayed and sometimes not. Utility Mode is a particular example.
2. This is invaluable for finding your way around the infotainment system.
3. Ensure you have the correct charging cable. A lot of cars have been arriving with single phase cables when it should be three phase cable (it just speeds charging up a bit if you find an 11Kw charger). The correct cable number is 66632ADE013A (printed on the black plastic connector); the incorrect cable number is 66631ADE013A
4. Join My Kia. Without joining, you won't get a year's roadside cover. after joining about a week later, you'll get a plastic card (credit card size) which is your proof of cover.
5. When you join My Kia, you'll be entitled to a couple of free gifts - an Amazon Fire HD 10 inch table and an Echo Show 5. If you go to the Refer a Friend link, you can provide a forum member's MyKia number, and get them the gifts as well. My number is at the bottom of this posting (hint).
6. EU regs mean that KIA has had to conform in order to get the car homologated. This means
i) Lane Assist is always switched ON when you start the car. There are lots of postings and comments about this feature on this forum.
ii) AutoHold is always switched OFF when you start the car.
iii) Parking sensors come on automatically when you reverse. They go OFF when you exceed 15mph and do not come back on again. Thus, when parking in your garage, there will be no sound.
You need to get into a routine of setting these options (if the default is not what you want) EVERY time you start the car.
7. If you want to be alerted to Speed Cameras, you need to go to Navigation | Maps (on the infotainment system) and set Speed Camera warnings. By default, warnings are OFF (because they are illegal in some European countries)
8. Heated seats. I only have it on setting 1 otherwise the delicate bits get cooked. Cold hands? Turn on heated steering wheel. Pure luxury,
9. Use this forum extensively; it's a fantastic resource.
10. Enjoy the car. It's a wonderful beast.
Silverback

·
Registered
177 Posts
PS : When you set up UVO, it may well show that the 12V battery has a warning. The thinking here in the forum is that it gets depleted on the voyage over. Set aside an hour; put the car into Utility Mode and then sit in the car and play with all its bits and options. At the end of this time, the battery warning should have gone away. (You will have been charging the 12V battery from the high voltage battery). The warning happened on my car but has not returned.
Silverback

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
918 Posts
I’ve never signed up with My Kia. I can’t see any point, and I’ve no intention of so doing. I still got my RAC roadside cover card in the post Just the same.
Charging the 12V battery with utility mode is certainly a good thing to do as and when desired, but if you want to get a proper full SOC charge, it will take rather longer than an hour. Lead acid just batteries cannot be fully charged quickly by any means. UVO app showing battery normal means very little about the actual SOC.

Another point to remember is to never power up the car without foot on the brake! This is the dreaded accessory mode. If you use this ever it hammers the 12V battery and you’ll end up with a UVO low battery warning in no time.
Only power up to ready when sat tinkering with stuff or listening to audio etc (or use tge Utility mode)
Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,060 Posts
if you haven’t done so already, take a look at zapmap and a better route planner apps. When planning a journey, instavolt/osprey are probably currently the most reliable charging option.

If you’re charging on a three pin socket at first, take care to ensure it’s in good condition and check things are not getting too hot after 30-40 minutes or so.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Because I don't have a charger at home, I use it to see when my car is nearly charged so I walk off to go and pick it up. It also allows you to pre-condition the car for chilly or warm mornings if you don't have the scheduled departure set.

Always precondition if you are attached to the charger - it massively adds to the range. Over condition too - so on a cold day I set it to 25/26 degrees. When I then get into the car, I turn the Climate Control OFF. I do this because if you just turn it down to what you want it to be, the car will use energy to then cool the car it's just heated! I drive with climate control OFF until the car becomes comfy, then just turn it on, set the temp you like and all good. If you pre-heat (or precool in the summer) like this, all the plastics in the car are leeching temperature into the car (so hot in winter, cold in summer). If you only pre-heat to say 20 degrees then the plastics won't "heat" the car at all, so you'll have to put the heater (or AC on in summer) much sooner.

ECO+ mode. Hold down the "Drive mode" button for 3 or 4 seconds and you get a "hidden" mode that does impact range a lot. Turns off EVERYTHING the car doesn't need - so heater / cooler, imposes a speed limiter (that you can turn off / adjust) and so on - I find I only use about 0.7 - 0.8m of "range" for every mile driven in this mode. Heated seats and wheel use less juice than cabin heater

Main EV rule - Always Be Charged (Charging) - so grab a charge whenever and wherever you can - I plug in at Tesco's, car parks, anywhere free to be honest - it takes that range anxiety (not that you have that on the Niro) away as you always have a nice charged battery.

Download ZapMap and take a look around where you live, familiarise yourself with possible charge points if you do ever find yourself unexpectedly low. Do report a good charge or a fault on the app as it helps others.

Download Pod-Point App - it works well and many many sites are free

Download BP Pulse, it doesn't work well and it's a rubbish app, but there are a lot of charger points!

Download the right app for any chargers on any routes you use a lot. You will be glad you have them if you ever need a charge one evening - way better to do it unstressed at home on the wifi than trying to do it in the car in the rain when you want a charge..

Use Max Regen settings all the time if you like it (I use 2 or 3 all the time, rarely 1) and use the paddles to play around with it - especially on hills.

Pull the left paddle to bring the car to a stop almost entirely on regen. There is an additional level of regen you can't set on the car that is only accessed by pulling this paddle - becomes second nature.

Don't drive right up to the car in front and stop quickly. Try and keep a distance, and keep rolling, slowing slowly. Although regen is wonderful - it's still better to conserve momentum than lose it and build it back up.

Love the car - you have bought one of the best! Did you get your £3000 grant ok?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, what great replies! I know it's going to be a learning curve, but some of this stuff will help massively. It's my wife's company car, one we ordered back before COVID, but then got delayed, and since then, big cuts have come in, meaning we might only have it for 6 months! Fortunately, 6 months, with my calculations, is the break even for a charger for pure utility miles. Anything above that will bring that down.

We've opted for a pod point charger at home, but the wiring run we need puts the price into the ouch category!

I'm aware the car has some quirks, and thanks to you guys, this thread now has a good deal of them listed in one place :-D It's almost like a e-niro cheat sheet!

We'll get used to them over time, I'm not looking forwards to the bings and bongs some drivers have reported or some of the default settings.

We start work early, so our neighbours might be throwing their slippers at us as we waft silently away, apart from a plethora of start-up tunes.

I think my biggest concern is the boot space - if we knew we were keeping the car for longer, I would get a frunk kit, and put some effort into deepening the boot, and buying a roof box! Not sure it's worth it for 6 months ownership... Trouble is that we just don't know! Might have it for 5 years.

We're still waiting to hear about the grant, I expect the leasing company will try to tack it on the bill regardless....

Thanks again everyone (y)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
656 Posts
to avoid the most annoying bongs: put on your safety belt before powering up the car. And don't let passengers take theirs off when you're going faster than 15 km / 10 miles an hour

·
Registered
889 Posts
And others, I have a routine....

Press start and hold for half a second WITH foot on brake - sometimes a tiny push doesn’t always register.

Reach around and put my belt on, most of the start up has finished by then.

Click into drive, then it’s Lane keep off, Auto Hold on and drive away x the boing sure really are not bad, and it’s way quieter than ICE car for the neighbours.

Reverse into your drive, then when you drive out forwards you won’t get the beep beep beep reversing noise at silly am....

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Wow, what great replies! I know it's going to be a learning curve, but some of this stuff will help massively. It's my wife's company car, one we ordered back before COVID, but then got delayed, and since then, big cuts have come in, meaning we might only have it for 6 months! Fortunately, 6 months, with my calculations, is the break even for a charger for pure utility miles. Anything above that will bring that down.

We've opted for a pod point charger at home, but the wiring run we need puts the price into the ouch category!

I'm aware the car has some quirks, and thanks to you guys, this thread now has a good deal of them listed in one place :-D It's almost like a e-niro cheat sheet!

We'll get used to them over time, I'm not looking forwards to the bings and bongs some drivers have reported or some of the default settings.

We start work early, so our neighbours might be throwing their slippers at us as we waft silently away, apart from a plethora of start-up tunes.

I think my biggest concern is the boot space - if we knew we were keeping the car for longer, I would get a frunk kit, and put some effort into deepening the boot, and buying a roof box! Not sure it's worth it for 6 months ownership... Trouble is that we just don't know! Might have it for 5 years.

We're still waiting to hear about the grant, I expect the leasing company will try to tack it on the bill regardless....

Thanks again everyone (y)
Taking all the polystyrene out and plastic trays out only takes a few minutes with a screwdriver, is totally reversible, and gives you an awful lot more space.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little bit of diy and you can increase the boot space by about 100 litres
yeah, possibly a summer job! I've got the materials, tools and skills, but not really the time. Perhaps something to do over a bank holiday when everyone else is going crazy on the roads!

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
yeah, possibly a summer job! I've got the materials, tools and skills, but not really the time. Perhaps something to do over a bank holiday when everyone else is going crazy on the roads!
My method used three bits of wood cut to length, and an interference only fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts