Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am offered a 4 for immediate delivery or wait for 4+ to include a sunroof, battery heater and heat pump plus other bits and pieces of upgraded tech! I appreciate its subjective with the sunroof but still for this money shouldn't I just have it all? Theres a slight discount involved but only slight. Your thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hi all I am offered a 4 for immediate delivery or wait for 4+ to include a sunroof, battery heater and heat pump plus other bits and pieces of upgraded tech! I appreciate its subjective with the sunroof but still for this money shouldn't I just have it all? Theres a slight discount involved but only slight. Your thoughts appreciated.
If the 4 is missing the heat pump, I'd wait.
Battery heater won't make much difference in the UK.
Sunroof is less headroom (I believe) so that'd be a negative for me.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
974 Posts
Huh? The UK 2020 '4' deffo has the heat pump and the battery heater :unsure:
Admittedly no sunroof but who needs it when you have great AC anyway? I’ve had sunroofs before and basically never used them.

IMO the thing that is missing from the '4' is the driver seat memory. It has electric driver seat adjustment but weirdly no position memory.
I would do some more research but for speed and cost saving I’d go for the '4' (in fact I did just that). There again I don’t do waiting very well.

Peter

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Admittedly no sunroof but who needs it when you have great AC anyway? I’ve had sunroofs before and basically never used them.

IMO the thing that is missing from the '4' is the driver seat memory. It has electric driver seat adjustment but weirdly no position memory.
I would do some more research but for speed and cost saving I’d go for the '4' (in fact I did just that). There again I don’t do waiting very well.

Peter
If the cost is very similar, the 4+ will be slightly easier to resell and therefore probably hold its value slightly better.

As an ownership experience, the additional feature we appreciate most is the blind spot/rear cross traffic alert. I also suspect there are some under-the-covers tweaks which improve the overall package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Peter
No thats interesting, I looked at the kia spec sheets and heat pump battery heater was not on the spec sheet for the four was on the four plus! How do i check it?

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
83 Posts
I'd need a significant price differential for me to move down to a 4.

Saying that, I've bought mine outright as I keep my cars many years. If I were only intending to run it for 2yrs,and didnt do much mileage id not be bothered

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I don't thiink the sunroof impinges much, if at all, I was concerned about this and sat in both the 4 and 4+
Agree. There is so much headroom that unless one is 7 ft tall, the sunroof is a non-issue (I'm 6'4 and there is plenty of space above my head.)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,329 Posts
The 4 has a heat pump. What it doesn't have is:
  • heated rear seats
  • ventilated front seats
  • seat position memory
  • sunroof
  • blind spot alert
  • rear cross traffic alert
  • 11kw three phase charger
I think that's it. I had the choice of an additional £1800 or so plus a six month wait. Went with the 4, partly because the price was already a big stretch for us. On balance I'd go for the 4+ if you can be patient. The extras add up to be worthwhile. Interestingly it's the three phase charger that I wish I had the most - mainly because we have lots of trips planned around areas with no rapids but plenty of 22kw charge points.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Does the 4 have the 10.25in touchscreen? We have it in the IOINIQ and it’s pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Missed one.... Intelligent speed limit warning. 4 doesn’t have this. It has a stupid speed limit warning which uses the satnav to display current speed limit. No warning if you exceed this. Pretty pointless. 4+ has a camera based system but I don’t know if the warnings actually warn you or not.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Missed one.... Intelligent speed limit warning. 4 doesn’t have this. It has a stupid speed limit warning which uses the satnav to display current speed limit. No warning if you exceed this. Pretty pointless. 4+ has a camera based system but I don’t know if the warnings actually warn you or not.
My 4 reads the speed limits with a camera and displays the limit both on the centre screen and the sat nav screen. It definitely picks up the speed limit from the signs - but does not warn if you exceed the limits. Probably just as well as my speedo is 3mph fast anyway.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My 4 reads the speed limits with a camera and displays the limit both on the centre screen and the sat nav screen. It definitely picks up the speed limit from the signs - but does not warn if you exceed the limits. Probably just as well as my speedo is 3mph fast anyway.
I’m certain it doesn’t read the signs. That data is from the satnav, and updated with live traffic info for roadworks.

here’s why: I recently had that sort of partial head unit crash which seemed to be based around the nav. When the unit eventually displayed something other than a spinning wait symbol, the nav didn’t work. Throughout the speed limit notification on the dash was blank.

it’s also never been wrong. The Camera based system on my Toyota does get it wrong and misses the odd sign sometimes.

The Toyota also reads 5mph car park signs, which is annoying because there’s never a 30, or whatever, when you leave the car park so it then thinks the limit is 5 for ages. Niro doesn’t do this. I bet the 4+ does. Anyone got one to confirm?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m certain it doesn’t read the signs. That data is from the satnav, and updated with live traffic info for roadworks.

here’s why: I recently had that sort of partial head unit crash which seemed to be based around the nav. When the unit eventually displayed something other than a spinning wait symbol, the nav didn’t work. Throughout the speed limit notification on the dash was blank.
There was quite a lot of debate about this over summer. My experience (with a 4) leads me to think that there is some reading of signs going on (Link to my post on the thread)
tl;dr - I live on the outskirts of a village that over summer changed from a 30mph to a 20mph - the repeaters were put up before the zone (and sign to enter the zone) was changed and it was picking up on them.

Before the debate got resolved (and like I'm doing to this one) it veered onto a new topic. Though there seemed to be some variability on what was available in settings between different cars that might well mean that the correct response to "does it use GPS and/or cameras?" is "yes."

To OP (IMHO) Resale with 4+ will probably be higher and has more toys but you may have to wait for it. 4 is quicker & cheaper. What's your priority?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
974 Posts
I'm not convinced my 4 actually reads the signs, but I’m not going to argue as I’m not certain. It does seem to always display the correct speed limit everywhere I go. I think it’s just nav based if I’m honest.

Anyway, what I would like to know is does the '4+' really give an over speed warning of some kind?
The present so called 'warning' is virtually useless as you can exceed the displayed limit as much as you like and the car does absolutely nothing to give you any kind of actual 'warning'.

Peter

1 - 20 of 47 Posts