Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering the E Niro 4+ but I like my toys and would like one with a Power Tailgate and HUD. The 4+ seems to have everything else so come on Kia please add these two little extras and make this car perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm seriously considering the E Niro 4+ but I like my toys and would like one with a Power Tailgate and HUD. The 4+ seems to have everything else so come on Kia please add these two little extras and make this car perfect.
It seems from discussion over on the Soul forum that the HUD is being deleted from new factory build examples of the Soul; perhaps as a result of the electronics crisis.

Therefore I'd think it unlikely to be introduced on any examples of the current Hyundai/Kia EV generation at this time.

I know the Ioniq 5, EV6 etc all project directly onto the windscreen; having seen the size of the projector to do this on our Mazda CX-5, I doubt that could be retrofitted to an existing design.

The lack of power tailgates on high end Kia models is baffling though. Feels like a step backward after having them on other cars for most of the last decade.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
442 Posts
I would imagine a powered tailgate is quite a heavy drain on the 12v system and given the small batteries in EV's perhaps the reason this is not implemented

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would imagine a powered tailgate is quite a heavy drain on the 12v system and given the small batteries in EV's perhaps the reason this is not implemented
Hadn't thought of that - excellent point.

Suppose the upside to having a manual tailgate is no longer being one of these people...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
805 Posts
I would just appreciate a tail gate on my Niro that I don’t have to slam.
Don't slam it. Press it shut. If that doesn't work get the dealer to adjust the lock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a retired Chartered Electrical Engineer I would confidently advise that the power required to operate the tailgate would be insignificant. Certainly not the reason it doesn't have one.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
Don't slam it. Press it shut. If that doesn't work get the dealer to adjust the lock.
Hhhmmm:unsure:

I have to really [insert expletive here] mine down to close. Just thought it was Kia-ism. I assumed it was because you can’t ever get any momentum behind it because the tailgate is so light..

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
805 Posts
Well, when I slam it (or my wife slams it, rather) it doesn't always close. I just lower it and then press the last 20 cm. Always works. Yours may be adjusted a little too tight.

·
Super Moderator
7,570 Posts
Hhhmmm:unsure:

I have to really [insert expletive here] mine down to close. Just thought it was Kia-ism. I assumed it was because you can’t ever get any momentum behind it because the tailgate is so light..
Use the grab handle inside and flick down, it’ll close.

Reactions: Billy the Kid

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
Use the grab handle inside and flick down, it’ll close.
Sadly, it doesn't.

It half-engages the catch, but not fully. The force I then need to apply to completely engage the catch feels like I'm going to warp the boot. So I go for the pull-it-down-with-more-than-enough-force method (with the handle inside) so it fully engages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly, it doesn't.

It half-engages the catch, but not fully. The force I then need to apply to completely engage the catch feels like I'm going to warp the boot. So I go for the pull-it-down-with-more-than-enough-force method (with the handle inside) so it fully engages.
Oh the joys of just pressing a button or doing a half-kick under the number plate when your hands are full. What you don't have you never miss but once spoiled you don't want to do without.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
A friend has the Sportage, with the electric tailgate. He was in virtual shock and dismay when he saw that my Eniro didn’t have it :ROFLMAO: . We did a little test, I can open and close my tailgate TWICE in the time his takes to crawl fully open ONCE.

I think it’s a pointless gimmick and just yet another thing to potentially go wrong sooner or later. Then again I also quite dislike Electric parking brakes, Auto dip headlights, LKA, Keyless entry and start, Auto hold etc etc ad infinitum. So maybe it’s just me.

I do have to give my tailgate a hearty pull down on the inside handle slot but it always works for me with a nice reassuring thud (not sure I would describe it as a slam though). If it’s late at night and I’m trying to be super quiet, then I use the rear wiper boss as a sort of handle to push it closed slightly more gently. TIP don’t push on the paintwork it scratches VERY easily. Peter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed from a Discovery Sport to an E Nero 4+ earlier this week and am generally pleased but the non powered tailgate is a disappointment and it does take a good push to close it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a power operated Tailgate kit available from Aliexpress - I collect my e-niro 4+ tomorrow, 18th Sep 21 and having exchanged my VolvoXC70 was also disappointed that the tailgate is manual. I have already received a pair of telescopic stays for the bonnets and before someone says that you don't have to check the oil I frequently check the washer fluid!! lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would like the HUD, my hands regularly block the speedo. Not so bothered about the tailgate, although that would be handy.

·
Registered
e-Niro 4+ 2021
23 Posts
Oh the joys of the old Kia badge on the tailgate - just perfect for pushing to close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts