Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm due to take my first medium length (60ish miles and then roundabout that area) journey to a holiday park next week. I have Thule wingbars, appropriate clamps for the rails and a Ranger 90 collapsable roof bag I'm planning to take. I'll report back on the hit to efficiency next week.

I also have a rear-hanging bike rack I've used on previous cars, but I've never been happy with the potential of it to warp the hatch as the bikes hang off it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good rack to take two adult bikes? I could get the roof mounted ones, but would then need to invest in a thinner, longer roof box to fit to the side of it. I'm not sure if that's really worth it and would likely affect range even more - although that's not really an issue any more.

cheers!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry, I have no solution , but do have your frustration. I always read with interest every post about "tow bars" on EVs , these cars can not be considered mainstream until manufacturers do something about it . Most of us don't need to tow a 10 metre caravan to John o' Groats ,but we do want to carry our bikes in safety or pop to the tip with our little box trailer. I'm in the crazy situation, I need to drive a diesel so I can go mountain biking.
Rant over ,sorry ....
Back to the Niro , I was surprised how light weight the rear hatch felt , is it plastic ? Personally I wouldn't want to carry anything hanging off it .

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would not carry a rear mounted bike rack, looking at the size of the boot roof spolier a rear mounted rack would put pressure on that spolier I would presume and being a spolier is mist likely not to sturdy.

I have a simlier dilemma in that i want to carry my mountain bike, but looks like i will have to carry in the back with seats down, as dont fancy roof mounting it and tow bar is a no no due to the are you covered or not fiasco.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Robert, try mounting the roof bag fully to one side - that is, two of the bag's clamps being outside of the rack feet or mounting the bag to the bars with T-track adapters instead of clams. You may just be able to squeeze two bikes then (one facing forward, the other backward, possibly remove some pedals/saddles).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert, try mounting the roof bag fully to one side - that is, two of the bag's clamps being outside of the rack feet or mounting the bag to the bars with T-track adapters instead of clams. You may just be able to squeeze two bikes then (one facing forward, the other backward, possibly remove some pedals/saddles).
Good suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone know best value for money roof bars for the e-niro (assume same as any other niro?) so I can mount my Thule bike carrier?

·
Registered
133 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I intend to use our Saris Bones 3 with the "Hatch Hugger" straps, same as on our old Leaf.
I'll get around to having a play to see how it fits at some point and report back..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used the Saris Bones over the weekend for >200 miles. It fits fine. The Hatch Huggers werent required as the leading edge of the boot is metal, not a plastic trim like on the Leaf.
Just for those journeys I put a couple of patches of helicopter tape where the bike racks feet would contact the paintwork. Its all still a bit precious :) No doubt I'll come up with a more permanent solution before it next gets loaded up with bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got some Cruz aluminium aero bars with the basic steel Cruz bike racks from roofbox.co.uk for about £150 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and rock solid nature of the setup.

I was less pleased with the 3.1mi/kWh I subsequently achieved at a steady 65 with two bikes on top and 4 people+ luggage inside.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got some Cruz aluminium aero bars with the basic steel Cruz bike racks from roofbox.co.uk for about £150 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and rock solid nature of the setup.

I was less pleased with the 3.1mi/kWh I subsequently achieved at a steady 65 with two bikes on top and 4 people+ luggage inside.
That's the exact setup I am currently looking at. Is it the flush mounting version as not sure which one is correct model.

3.1 doesnt sound to bad to me, with what you were carrying. I have had a couple of trips with just me at 70 on motorway at 3.4.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's the exact setup I am currently looking at. Is it the flush mounting version as not sure which one is correct model.

3.1 doesnt sound to bad to me, with what you were carrying. I have had a couple of trips with just me at 70 on motorway at 3.4.
I got the ones “for flush mounted roof rails” which fit perfectly. The alternative ones are for cars with no rails at all I think. I’ve been impressed, they are quiet and robust. However, it did take about 2 hours to put all the bits together and fit them the first time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like front axle holding racks, but for those that don't, Thule has the UpRide, which doesn't touch the frame and doesn't need removing the front wheel.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad to me either. Give an idea of what we'll get in the winter I expect.
Is that 65 on the dash or actual?
I'm getting 3.4-3.5 at an actual 70mph max on a longer trip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad to me either. Give an idea of what we'll get in the winter I expect.
Is that 65 on the dash or actual?
I'm getting 3.4-3.5 at an actual 70mph max on a longer trip.
On the dash, 63 in reality. I’ve got a long trip without bikes in a few weeks, so will see what I can get then, but was hoping to break 4mi/kWh so that I can do London to Yorkshire (240miles) in a single push. Feels like I might need 10mins on a rapid to avoid running out of juice halfway up a hill towards the end.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
On the dash, 63 in reality. I’ve got a long trip without bikes in a few weeks, so will see what I can get then, but was hoping to break 4mi/kWh so that I can do London to Yorkshire (240miles) in a single push. Feels like I might need 10mins on a rapid to avoid running out of juice halfway up a hill towards the end.
Last weekend I drove 107 miles with 54% left, driving at an actual 70 where possible, but there was a big stretch of roadworks at 40mph.

I haven't tried a 60mph run as I didn't think I would need to do that but to get 250+ miles I think we will. There's a big difference in the Golf and Leaf at 60, 65 indicated is only about 61 in my Niro so I'll be trying that next time I do the uni run at the end of the month so I can comfortably get 220 miles from one charge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts