Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst awaiting my new e-niro I am utilising my spare time looking for accessories.

I have a cam wipe already on order and now focussing on the following items, any advice or recommendations are welcomed.

Mud flaps - ( I believe they are called splash guards these days馃ゴ). I don't want to pay the dealers high price for what amounts to 4 pieces of plastic. I have seen many on ebay/amazon however many say they are for the e-niro but then in the description state "universal". I want ones that fit as snug as the oem ones. Has anyone bought ones that are a snug fit and could you share the source please.

Floor mats - I want blue carpets to complement the yacht blue car colour. When I say blue I mean the full carpet area in blue, not just the edging. I can't seem to find any. Again, has anyone bought blue mats and willing to share where they purchased from.

Boot liner- I have a dog so need a boot liner- that covers the complete boot floor with the seats folded. Recommendations or suggestions welcomed.

Boot stowage- the boot is devoid of any storage for the dogs gubbins (water bottle, dish, lead etc), so looking to fit some sort of mesh/net on the side panels (as I have in my current car). Has anyone fitted something similar that would be suitable?

Bonnet strut- I'm not a fan of the old-school bonnet prop. I fancy changing to gas struts, as I want to fit a front trunk to store the cables so I can fit a spare wheel in the boot, has anyone any comments or recommendations on the struts. I can only seen to be able to source from china. Comments on the frunk would be welcomed, had anyone made their own?

Are there other accessories that owners would recommend?

Registered
Mud flaps - ( I believe they are called splash guards these days馃ゴ). I don't want to pay the dealers high price for what amounts to 4 pieces of plastic. I have seen many on ebay/amazon however many say they are for the e-niro but then in the description state "universal". I want ones that fit as snug as the oem ones. Has anyone bought ones that are a snug fit and could you share the source please.
Hi. I have fitted these particular mudflats:
They fit snugly, are not universal and cost me 拢16.30. The difference to Kia's own is that they do not have a completely flat face - but you don't see the difference in use. Just like genuine ones, they won't protect to the degree that old-style flaps would but are more aerodynamic.

Some fitting notes though... Fitting is a combination of re-using screws which are there and adding ones where the car already has holes but no fixings. The real units come with replacement longer screws I think - you remove the existing ones and swap. These flaps came with identical length screws, they work but it was odd - what's the point? Be aware that you also need some plastic push rivets to complete the fitting; and these were not supplied. Luckily I have a box of these in different sizes just in case. From memory I needed 7 or 9mm diameter ones, something like that. And you do need them, so it is an unfortunate omission. I had to encourage the flaps to adopt the shape of the car's profile a little but the resulting fit is tight.

Boot liner- I have a dog so need a boot liner- that covers the complete boot floor with the seats folded. Recommendations or suggestions welcomed.
I have the standard Kia boot (trunk) liner. It is probably not the cheapest option but it is very good. The fit is exceptional and it lies very flat. On the downside, while it is great having the underfloor storage. I have a soft, dog-friendly boot protector as well, and the combination makes getting into the lower trunk painful. In fact, with the luggage cover stowed under the boot floor, getting to the basement lower trunk is annoying and time-consuming! One thing I have learned is that frunks are really valuable in an EV for one specific reason; because you can use them for quick access to charging cables.

Registered
Whilst awaiting my new e-niro I am utilising my spare time looking for accessories.

I have a cam wipe already on order and now focussing on the following items, any advice or recommendations are welcomed.

Floor mats - I want blue carpets to complement the yacht blue car colour. When I say blue I mean the full carpet area in blue, not just the edging. I can't seem to find any. Again, has anyone bought blue mats and willing to share where they purchased from.

Boot stowage- the boot is devoid of any storage for the dogs gubbins (water bottle, dish, lead etc), so looking to fit some sort of mesh/net on the side panels (as I have in my current car). Has anyone fitted something similar that would be suitable?

Bonnet strut- I'm not a fan of the old-school bonnet prop. I fancy changing to gas struts, as I want to fit a front trunk to store the cables so I can fit a spare wheel in the boot, has anyone any comments or recommendations on the struts. I can only seen to be able to source from china. Comments on the frunk would be welcomed, had anyone made their own?

Are there other accessories that owners would recommend?
This video covers bonnet struts:
(by @Andre Laurence)
Must say I'm tempted especially if I homebrew a frunk.

Reactions: Andre Laurence

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I have fitted these particular mudflats:
They fit snugly, are not universal and cost me 拢16.30. The difference to Kia's own is that they do not have a completely flat face - but you don't see the difference in use. Just like genuine ones, they won't protect to the degree that old-style flaps would but are more aerodynamic.

Some fitting notes though... Fitting is a combination of re-using screws which are there and adding ones where the car already has holes but no fixings. The real units come with replacement longer screws I think - you remove the existing ones and swap. These flaps came with identical length screws, they work but it was odd - what's the point? Be aware that you also need some plastic push rivets to complete the fitting; and these were not supplied. Luckily I have a box of these in different sizes just in case. From memory I needed 7 or 9mm diameter ones, something like that. And you do need them, so it is an unfortunate omission. I had to encourage the flaps to adopt the shape of the car's profile a little but the resulting fit is tight.

I have the standard Kia boot (trunk) liner. It is probably not the cheapest option but it is very good. The fit is exceptional and it lies very flat. On the downside, while it is great having the underfloor storage. I have a soft, dog-friendly boot protector as well, and the combination makes getting into the lower trunk painful. In fact, with the luggage cover stowed under the boot floor, getting to the basement lower trunk is annoying and time-consuming! One thing I have learned is that frunks are really valuable in an EV for one specific reason; because you can use them for quick access to charging cables.
Thanks for taking time to post your suggestions, I'll take a look at these items.

Reactions: Phevourite

Registered
I think before anyone fits these struts they should confirm that they can actually close the bonnet by pushing on it. On my new 4+ the bonnet will only close if I drop it from about 60 cm. even pushing down to below flush the second latch will not catch. Could be it鈥檚 need adjusting or it will get better with use.

Registered
I think before anyone fits these struts they should confirm that they can actually close the bonnet by pushing on it. On my new 4+ the bonnet will only close if I drop it from about 60 cm. even pushing down to below flush the second latch will not catch. Could be it鈥檚 need adjusting or it will get better with use.
I have the exact same problem, have to drop it from height, as the bonnet is aluminium, dealer has said do not push on it, they have had owners cause damage (dents) by doing so, I have greased the mechanism to see if it helps, may have but only a little.
I have raised my bonnet as an issue for them to check when it goes in for software update.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
I have the exact same problem, have to drop it from height, as the bonnet is aluminium, dealer has said do not push on it, they have had owners cause damage (dents) by doing so, I have greased the mechanism to see if it helps, may have but only a little.
I have raised my bonnet as an issue for them to check when it goes in for software update.
Iirc there are some hand adjustable rubber bumpers along the front edge of the bonnet hood. Maybe just screw them in further by turning a little to allow more downwards travel and thus easier closing. Mine closes easily by pushing down without any need to slam it.. If I鈥檓 right, this is a super easy fix to try.

Is it aluminium? I didn鈥檛 know that. Must check it with a magnet.
Peter

Reactions: Lasvegas666

Registered
Iirc there are some hand adjustable rubber bumpers along the front edge of the bonnet hood. Maybe just screw them in further by turning a little to allow more downwards travel and thus easier closing. Mine closes easily by pushing down without any need to slam it.. If I鈥檓 right, this is a super easy fix to try.

Is it aluminium? I didn鈥檛 know that. Must check it with a magnet.
Peter
The boot is aluminium as well Peter.

Registered
The boot is aluminium as well Peter.
Thanks. I鈥檓 surprised. I didn鈥檛 think weight saving would be so important on such a heavy car. My previous Prius had hood and tailgate in ally.
Peter

Registered
The boot is definitely very light. So light that if I'm holding a heavy bag I can't generate enough force to close it with the inside handle and have to push down on the outside (potentially scratching the paint)!

Super Moderator
I've always closed the bonnet by dropping it, how else would you do it...?

Reactions: stecon29

Registered
I've always closed the bonnet by dropping it, how else would you do it...?
That isn鈥檛 going to work if you install the gas spring lifter struts though.
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased one of these from Amazon, have to say I am very impressed, very well made and finished, and fits my 4+ perfectly. View attachment 139555
It looks very useful, I'll order one of these. Are the pads in the base rubber type material? Are are they removable for washing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes it has a rubber mat that fit perfectly within it, it is such a simple idea, don't know why Kia don't fit them as standard.
Thanks for your reply.

Great! I'll get one ordered.

Do you have a link by any chance?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts