Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had a first generation e-Niro just about a year now. Very happy.
This is the very first Winter cold spell and keen to know what miles people are getting in the morning when fully charged.
Over the last month the mileage estimator is around 240 so 40 plus less than normal. The car is outside on my drive when last year it was in an underground car park so away from the direct cold and the estimator was certainly higher.

Wondered what other people are getting if they have their e-Niros stating on on outside drive.

I did wonder f I should go back and raise with the dealer but want dto get a sense here on what people are experiencing.

Regards,
Chris.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,169 Posts
It’s perfectly normal to lose a lot of range in the colder weather. No need to go to dealer. It will return to your previous state as the weather gets warmer, guaranteed. Your numbers are very typical.
Peter

·
Registered
636 Posts
Even if you didn't put the heater on, and if you only went out on dry days, you would still get lower range due to more dense air as it's colder plus a colder battery is less efficient , and that's just physics. The e-niro is a fantastic car, but it doesn't do miracles!

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Extrapolating, that’s 228 miles. Sleeps on a driveway (garage is of course too full of worthless junk)

·
Registered
362 Posts
In my Ioniq a 7 mile journey with heater on was around 3m/kWh.
I tried the same journey without the heater on got 5m/kwh
Both journeys were around 3°c no pre heat seat or steering wheel heating with a/c but not the heat button.
The heating is not your friend for range on short journeys, on longer journeys the high initial power use of the heater is averaged out over the journey and you start to get a higher m/kWh reading.
In summary the power to run the heating in your car is taken from the fuel source the battery, whereas in an ICE car it is recycled waste heat from the combustion process.
Therefore using the heater is robbing 1-2 miles of range per kilowatt in my example above.
If you go to the EV settings screen it will show you the estimated distance to empty for both climate on and climate off climate off will be higher. Switching the climate on/ off will also alter the dte on the driver cluster.
There will also be some battery warming going on which you will have less control of.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
As I've just mentioned on another thread.... 11 degrees C seems to be the important temp. Drops below that and the car struggles to get better than 3Mi/kWh, at least on short runs. Today at an indicated 12 degrees 4.5Mi/kWh with no problem.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think the yearly average is a better guide. Got my Ioniq last March 23miles and an average of 4.5 it went up to 4.7 but due to an accident, it was off the road in the best weather August September. It has now gone done to 4.5m/kWh but even that is skewed because I have been working from home and not that much mileage. 10k miles short of my lease allowance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks Peter.
I assume if I garage it from the cold the drop will be less?
Regards,
C.
I suppose it might help a tiny bit if your garage is warmer but my detached garage is just as cold as the outside air is. Also the other winter energy losses (air drag, rolling resistance etc) will still apply just the same. I don’t use my garage as it has a motor bike and general junk stuff in it. Peter

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Where garaging helps is with heat loss speed. Wind going under the car will cool the battery pack, shouldn’t be windy inside your garage!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hehe, if you think we get cold efficiency issues, how about this guy in Finland.. brrrrrrr 🥶. Peter

1 - 20 of 34 Posts