Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a starter for 10. What do you think is the best and worst feature (or features of your e-Niro? Best is a tricky one but worst is easier, I think.
For me:

Best: The easily cleaned wheels (and they don't look bad either)

Worst: The position of the reversing camera. Which clown thought it was a good idea to put it where it gets covered in shite in a matter of minutes? It needs hiding behind the Kia badge and only peeping out when required -- à la Mercedes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
As you say, best is difficult as could be lots of things - but would probably say Auto-regen.

Agree on the camera for worst and would add the digital dash which looks dated and is really quite rubbish when compared with my current 'Active Info Display' in the Golf.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
283 Posts
For me the best feature has to be Smart Cruise Control
The worst - halogen headlights on an EV (at least you can clean the muck off the reversing camera - you can't legally swap out the halogens for LEDs)

·
Registered
997 Posts
The worst - halogen headlights on an EV (at least you can clean the muck off the reversing camera - you can't legally swap out the halogens for LEDs)
Completely agree! Thankfully have a '4' on order so won't be an issue.

Reactions: Devon Dumpling

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Best: Range
Worst: The beeping on start up and shutdown. So annoying.

[for the camera I have an old habit from the leaf of wiping as a I got past the car to get in]

Reactions: GTEJesper

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me the best feature has to be Smart Cruise Control
Not legally, but it can be done! Just keep the halogens for the MOT, just in case. I've put NOVSIGHT 9005S 1:1 design in the headlamps and the slightly cheaper NOVSIGHT 9006 with a large heat sink in the fog lamps (loads of space). (N.B. the manual quotes the wrong bu;lb for the fogs.) The fog lamps were also a pig to do -- easy enough access through a flap under the wheel arch but ended up gripping the back of the bulb with an 8" adjustable spanner with a tommy bar through the hole in the handle to twist them out. The LEDs needed the leading edge of the lugs chamfered in order to fit them, too. Is it worth it? Well, it's not night and day but there is a good strong beam of white light, the dip cutoff is crisp, no adjustment of alignment required and, combined with the fog lamps there's excellent illumination of the road directly ahead over a wide arc. The lights do not appear to dazzle at all -- no flashes from oncoming traffic.

I like the SCC, too. Haven't tried it too much in slow stop-go traffic yet though but it does work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not legally, but it can be done! Just keep the halogens for the MOT, just in case. I've put NOVSIGHT 9005S 1:1 design in the headlamps and the slightly cheaper NOVSIGHT 9006 with a large heat sink in the fog lamps (loads of space). (N.B. the manual quotes the wrong bu;lb for the fogs.) ............

I like the SCC, too. Haven't tried it too much in slow stop-go traffic yet though but it does work.
Yes, however one of the downsides is that if you were ever to be involved in an accident, your insurance claim woud be invalidated as you will have modified the car in an unacceptable manner. If you notified your insurance company of the modification, they would reject your policy due to the fact it was an illegal modification.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best: Range
Worst: The beeping on start up and shutdown. So annoying.

[for the camera I have an old habit from the leaf of wiping as a I got past the car to get in]
Yes, I wish you could stifle the beep, or perhaps a sound of one's own choosing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, however one of the downsides is that if you were ever to be involved in an accident, your insurance claim woud be invalidated as you will have modified the car in an unacceptable manner. If you notified your insurance company of the modification, they would reject your policy due to the fact it was an illegal modification.
True but a nonsense. I'd rather see where i'm going! It's not as if you're modifying anything that could potentially impair safety, rather the reverse.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best is easy, it's the Range,

Worst, where do I start? Probably the seat not suiting my back at all but I could start a list.
Oh dear, that;s a shame/. My wife and I both find the seats excellent (and that's saying summat!). Should have had memory function on the driver's seat though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
True but a nonsense. I'd rather see where i'm going! It's not as if you're modifying anything that could potentially impair safety, rather the reverse.
The law was enacted to prevent people installing inappropriate LED bulbs which would blind oncoming drivers. If they allowed an approved installer who knows the right LED bulbs for each car to do the installation and issue a receipt that it had been done by a professional installer, then the law could be amended so that insurance companies would accept the modification. This would be an acceptable way round it.
I acknowledge your point of safer driving, but I am not prepared, personally, to drive without adequate insurance cover.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As you say, best is difficult as could be lots of things - but would probably say Auto-regen.

Agree on the camera for worst and would add the digital dash which looks dated and is really quite rubbish when compared with my current 'Active Info Display' in the Golf.
I also like auto regen (coupled with 0 level) and I'm glad it stays on by default. Annoying that you can't set regen level 0 by default, though. I'm happy with the display, too. Must be easily impressed!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You know... I can't believe that anyone would be prepared to make any modification to their car that makes it illegal and makes it a realistic possibility that their insurance might be invalid in the event of an accident. I am sorry but it is madness to think that driving without valid insurance is OK. You can say that you will take the risk but what about the person in the other car in the accident that loses their legs and you don't have the financial ability to pay out for their life-time of medical costs and compensation for a life ruined? It isn't just about what is more safe... it is about what is more sensible and what is more considerate of others.

This is to everyone... Please don't make any changes to your car that might compromise your insurance. You may live to regret it for the rest of your life.

If you make any change to your car... even small,seemingly insignificant things, like adding a tow-bar (even if towing is permitted) or swapping out the standard headlights for something better... you must tell your insurance company otherwise you risk your insurance being deemed invalid should you need to claim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best: range
Worst: On the infotainment system the EV button is wedged in to the row that has the AC controls as an afterthought, while above it space is taken up by pointless 'star' button

1 - 20 of 26 Posts