Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Does your e-Niro suffer from the clicking noise?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had my Niro motor replaced with the 711 part number. Upon delivery clicking was gone. Zero noise associated with accel/regen. After a few hundred miles I am now noticing similar buzzing noises on accel/regen, but so far only noticeable at higher speeds (> 20 mph). Before the motor change the clicking noise was apparent at < 15 mph but I cannot reproduce that characteristic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can turn off VESS? How?
thanks
If your car didn't ship with the VESS button from factory, you will have to install your own or just unplug the speaker located under the hood. As this is illegal now in some parts of the world, I prefer not to go into additional detail. For temporary disabling in order to make audio recordings, you can just pull the fuse (Module 4 on American cars).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in the UK (Yorkshire) and have had my e-niro for 10 months.
I first noticed a clicking noise coming from my car around June time (not sure what my mileage was but probably around 3000-4000 miles).
It seems to occur when I drive longer distances, say anything over 50 miles (I cover around 20,000-25,000 miles a year).
It doesn't dissipate when I turn off the VESS nor when the regen braking is turned off.
I asked KIA about the noise when it went in for its first service. They couldn't find anything and hadn't heard of any issues of this kind.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Approaching 7k miles since August and no clicking on our eNiro 4. The car is mostly driven by me and I nearly always drive with the regen on level zero, which may mean the components concerned are getting an easier life than average, or maybe not as I do use adaptive cruise a lot.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
946 Posts
Having done 3000 km in 3 months, no clicking from mine (I live in Spain BTW). I drive on regen 3 most of the time (except motorways) and have done some mountainous trips during which I of course heavily rely on regen braking to slow down for curves and in descents. Maybe it'll start developing after I have had the car longer. We'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in the UK (Yorkshire) and have had my e-niro for 10 months.
I first noticed a clicking noise coming from my car around June time (not sure what my mileage was but probably around 3000-4000 miles).
It seems to occur when I drive longer distances, say anything over 50 miles (I cover around 20,000-25,000 miles a year).
It doesn't dissipate when I turn off the VESS nor when the regen braking is turned off.
I asked KIA about the noise when it went in for its first service. They couldn't find anything and hadn't heard of any issues of this kind.
This is a well known and world-wide documented problem that Kia is aware and affects Kias made up to late 2019 and early 2020 and Kia will replace the motor under warranty. The motor has a new part number 701 I think vs 700.
The Kia dealer is giving you the gears. It is a $8,000 USD fix so best get it done under warranty.
I had mine replaced under warranty at 5K miles and noise disappeared and has not returned with the new 711 motor.

The problem can also occur with the Kona

·
Registered
12 Posts
Approaching 7k miles since August and no clicking on our eNiro 4. The car is mostly driven by me and I nearly always drive with the regen on level zero, which may mean the components concerned are getting an easier life than average, or maybe not as I do use adaptive cruise a lot.
The noise is not related to regen or gear case or the bearings or half shafts. It is motor related and the fix is a new motor. If you have a Kia with the new motor part number (#701 early 2020) you are probably OK

·
Registered
485 Posts
the motor is used for regen, so of course using less regen could put less wear on the motor. Personally my understanding is that it is a motor defect, but you cannot make the blanket statement about use of regen unaffecting it, since no one has revealed the actual failure mode.

Greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
My June 2020 e-Niro started with the clicking noise at about 2,000 miles and at double the mileage currently it's quite a lot worse. My dealer is waiting for a technical bulletin from Kia before proceeding with the warranty work which should be in early January 2021.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the noise from day one I just though it was normal to be honest till I saw this. Ive done 64k miles in 1 1/2 years now and it didnt get worse. It only happens when im moving forward very slowly. Thats when it is noticeable however no noise when reversing. Will raise the issue with Kia and see what they say.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
Impressive mileage! You must be Cabbie007 of YouTube fame? There can’t be many (or any?) other Eniros with mileage like that. BTW, it was watching your first year YT Eniro glowing reports with big mileage that played a substantial part in my final decision making to get my Eniro a year ago! So thanks for that. sorry to hear you have the clicking motor noise (if indeed it is that), though it’s also encouraging to read it never got any worse. Peter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My June 2020 e-Niro started with the clicking noise at about 2,000 miles and at double the mileage currently it's quite a lot worse. My dealer is waiting for a technical bulletin from Kia before proceeding with the warranty work which should be in early January 2021.
After a long saga, replacing the motor mounts, reduction gearbox, 13 weeks in the dealership (I can't fault them, they've been great throughout) I got my car back and it was fine for 1,500 miles then the noise returned. Finally the motor was replaced and having done another 1,500 miles it's still running silently. Fingers crossed, because there's nothing else of note to be replaced! I now have a 712 motor which I believe is what's currently being fitted to new vehicles.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Bumper

21 - 38 of 38 Posts