Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just had a phone call to say that my Graphite e-Niro has arrived at the dealership - one of two to arrive. Also expects a couple more to arrive. Won’t be picking mine up until beginning of September for the new plate. Also gives time to sort finance, insurance etc
Mine was ordered 10 Jan (can’t remember order number)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Interesting experience preparing for the e-Niro. Had my Pod-Point installed a few weeks ago and have just sold my existing car. Tried a number of places to get best price. The Kia dealer admitted they were not very competitive. We Buy Any Car was a terrible experience- tried to take off £1,000 off offer price because of minor scrapes on bumper. Motorway, who invite bids from dealers, also not the best prices. In the end it was Arnold Clark that offered the best price, several hundred pounds higher than the rest, even after taking account of the £70 they anticipated it would cost to sort the scratches on the bumper. The selling process was straightforward and professional. Now relying on my Mazda MX5 for the next week before picking up the e-Niro. Sun is out so I will enjoy.

I have also been trying to get up to speed about fast chargers and what I need to do on routes I use for long trips. I stopped off at one service station where a Leaf owner was parked at a charger. I was hoping to get some tips but didn’t quite work out. He had forgotten to charge his car at home so had come to a fast charger. However, he had also forgotten to charge his ‘phone and couldn’t access the app he needed. He also didn’t have a lead for charging his phone. So I helped out charging his phone in my car but when he tried to access his app, he couldn’t remember his password. This was early morning and I had to leave him waiting for the charging network call centre to open at 9am. I think I probably learned quite a lot for all the wrong reasons!
The final bit of preparation was sorting out mats for the car, paint protection and service plan. Oh yes and car insurance - Direct Line was a good price - £250 cheaper than my old car.

Have I missed anything I need to do?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, I just got a quote from Direct Line and it came in £30 cheaper than Pluginsure (and £65 cheaper than my renewal quote from my present insurer). I also got quotes from Money Supermarket (£60 more expensive) and Compare the Meerkat (£125 more expensive). Well worth shopping around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I'm going on a long trip and will need fast charging I'll do my research on where they are beforehand. I use ZapMap for this. People generally leave comments against each charger on ZapMap so you can see how reliable they are. I'll also investigate all those I might need to use and make sure I have all the apps installed and look at how all the chargers work with the apps. If I'm somewhere I haven't charged before I'll generally look for a charge if I have about 100 miles range left - this way if there's a problem I can easily get somewhere else. However, when I'm on the way home I'll use as much battery as I need because obviously I can charge when I've finished the trip.

In my experience Instavolt and Podpoint have been the most reliable. Instavolt are the best because you just need to use contactless payment - no apps or anything.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Interesting experience preparing for the e-Niro. Had my Pod-Point installed a few weeks ago and have just sold my existing car. Tried a number of places to get best price. The Kia dealer admitted they were not very competitive. We Buy Any Car was a terrible experience- tried to take off £1,000 off offer price because of minor scrapes on bumper. Motorway, who invite bids from dealers, also not the best prices. In the end it was Arnold Clark that offered the best price, several hundred pounds higher than the rest, even after taking account of the £70 they anticipated it would cost to sort the scratches on the bumper. The selling process was straightforward and professional. Now relying on my Mazda MX5 for the next week before picking up the e-Niro. Sun is out so I will enjoy.

I have also been trying to get up to speed about fast chargers and what I need to do on routes I use for long trips. I stopped off at one service station where a Leaf owner was parked at a charger. I was hoping to get some tips but didn’t quite work out. He had forgotten to charge his car at home so had come to a fast charger. However, he had also forgotten to charge his ‘phone and couldn’t access the app he needed. He also didn’t have a lead for charging his phone. So I helped out charging his phone in my car but when he tried to access his app, he couldn’t remember his password. This was early morning and I had to leave him waiting for the charging network call centre to open at 9am. I think I probably learned quite a lot for all the wrong reasons!
The final bit of preparation was sorting out mats for the car, paint protection and service plan. Oh yes and car insurance - Direct Line was a good price - £250 cheaper than my old car.

Have I missed anything I need to do?
Did you go for the 3 or 5 year maintenance and can I ask how much that is now?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you go for the 3 or 5 year maintenance and can I ask how much that is now?
I haven’t finally decided but probably the three year. I think it is £259 for 3 services (car serviced every 10,000 miles). I think the five year one is £449 but that includes MOTs. I think this does give some saving over paying for each service separately and also avoids inflation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven’t finally decided but probably the three year. I think it is £259 for 3 services (car serviced every 10,000 miles). I think the five year one is £449 but that includes MOTs. I think this does give some saving over paying for each service separately and also avoids inflation.
The five year plan you mention is without MOTs. You can add them at £35 a time, so in theory your full plan would cost £554. All the options can be found using the plan selector at https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/service-maintenance/service-plans/plan-selector/#insert-info.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in Group 5 too. I was told delivery 2nd half of September, and 48 hours to do the PDI. So I am hoping for late September.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes from previous info looks like 85 cars coming in batch 5 for delivery at end of September.

It is interesting that Kia originally suggested that 900 cars would be delivered in a year. I must admit that I thought that would be 900 of the First Edition in 2019. However, when batch 5 are delivered there will only have been 251 delivered based on the letter posted elsewhere. If they carry on at this rate of delivery, by January when the last ones are delivered it seems unlikely that they will reach 900.
So perhaps they meant 900 each 12 month period? Which means a fair number will be MY20? Looks like the MG ZS EV and the Tesla M3 will be a far more common sight on the road than a First Edition e-Niro.
I wonder if I should leave it to my grandson as a future classic?!

·
Registered
150 Posts
However, when batch 5 are delivered there will only have been 251 delivered based on the letter posted elsewhere. If they carry on at this rate of delivery, by January when the last ones are delivered it seems unlikely that they will reach 900.
I think you've misunderstood. You mean this letter?

It is going to be about 900 for 2019, but I think that includes the dealer demo cars. It works like this:

• 2019 First Wave: About 600 cars which arrived in April - dealer demo cars and the first customer order on the list at each dealership
  • 2019 Second Wave: About 300 cars delivered in batches throughout the rest of the year, starting in late May. Thats what the letter is about.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think you've misunderstood. You mean this letter?

It is going to be about 900 for 2019, but I think that includes the dealer demo cars. It works like this:

• 2019 First Wave: About 600 cars which arrived in April - dealer demo cars and the first customer order on the list at each dealership
  • 2019 Second Wave: About 300 cars delivered in batches throughout the rest of the year, starting in late May. Thats what the letter is about.
There are only circa 192 dealers which would make about 400 first wave cars. My original understanding was that there would be 500 second wave ones but that seems to have been cut back to 300 this year (probably due to austerity lol!).

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are only circa 192 dealers which would make about 400 first wave cars. My original understanding was that there would be 500 second wave ones but that seems to have been cut back to 300 this year (probably due to austerity lol!).
Thanks for the info 👍

·
Registered
404 Posts

On the e-niro spec page, I found this;
e-Niro First Edition now sold out. New e-Niro specification and features will be confirmed in early 2020.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts