Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
(who probably doesn't even know they have bought it and sold it again)
I'm not sure they would have been able to do that. Kia are making sure the car is registered to the same person who ordered the car, any changes have to be approved by Kia. If the car wasn't registered in the first owners name at the same address there would have been issues. I expect the first owner had a cut of the price increase, it would be strange if they didn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
£2.5k more isn't good if you were expecting it to be £1.5k less than the original price. I'm not surprised it is more as they are going for more money on the second hand market, but maybe you are!
Well, it was more like I thought it rather than expected, I ordered a while ago and didn't remember the exact price 🙄

But annoying that the dealers are resorting to these tactics... Anyhow I think I'll take it anyway, was looking forward getting it and have some trips planned that just by the saving in train tickets almost cover it...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm not sure they would have been able to do that. Kia are making sure the car is registered to the same person who ordered the car, any changes have to be approved by Kia. If the car wasn't registered in the first owners name at the same address there would have been issues. I expect the first owner had a cut of the price increase, it would be strange if they didn't.
Kia are making sure of that? Really? From all the stories I’ve seen about the order in which cars are being delivered, I’m hoping you will forgive me for believing that Kia are not capable of making sure of anything.

Sounds to me like they’ve done a deal somewhere and trousered the government grant in the process as well.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Kia are making sure of that? Really? From all the stories I’ve seen about the order in which cars are being delivered, I’m hoping you will forgive me for believing that Kia are not capable of making sure of anything.

Sounds to me like they’ve done a deal somewhere and trousered the government grant in the process as well.
On this one it looks like the dealer has done a deal with the original customer, probably paid them something to register it in their name and immediately sell it to the dealer. They have then sold it on to someone on the waiting list for atdditional profit. It's all good business for them and one customer on the waiting list is happy.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It's all good business for them and one customer on the waiting list is happy.
But Kia are supposed to be managing a single national waiting list. This is one happy customer on the Enfield dealer's waiting list, exactly what Kia said they had set out to avoid so a complete failure on their part.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I don't see how Kia UK can stop individual dealerships buying and selling nearly new cars. They can control the new cars, but once they are sold to a customer they aren't in control of that car. This situation looks like one of those cases.
Even with the new cars it doesn't seem like they are being entirely fair about it but we don't know what's actually going on so how can we judge that?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Fair point but I think the clear intention of Kia was to ensure that dealerships weren't promoting their own customers ahead of other dealer's customers who had been waiting for a much longer time. If a dealer chooses to sell the car to a genuine customer for less than 24 hours in order to then pass it on to someone else, maybe there is little they can do to stop them.

The question it poses for me is, was the original customer genuine or just a figment of somebody's imagination for the purposes of getting around the controls. Let's face it, we could all sit in the dealership on 10th January adding names and orders, Fred Bloggs, Mickey Mouse etc.

I would hope that no self respecting dealership would do that but it's kind of irrelevant as the intention was that if a car was no longer wanted, it was supposed to go back into the system for sale to the next UK wide order, not hived off to satisfy local demand in what appears to be a rather 'profiteering' manner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fair point but I think the clear intention of Kia was to ensure that dealerships weren't promoting their own customers ahead of other dealer's customers who had been waiting for a much longer time. If a dealer chooses to sell the car to a genuine customer for less than 24 hours in order to then pass it on to someone else, maybe there is little they can do to stop them.

The question it poses for me is, was the original customer genuine or just a figment of somebody's imagination for the purposes of getting around the controls. Let's face it, we could all sit in the dealership on 10th January adding names and orders, Fred Bloggs, Mickey Mouse etc.

I would hope that no self respecting dealership would do that but it's kind of irrelevant as the intention was that if a car was no longer wanted, it was supposed to go back into the system for sale to the next UK wide order, not hived off to satisfy local demand in what appears to be a rather 'profiteering' manner.
They car has to be registered to that name. Not even the son or daughter of the order holder but that name. If it's changed then the dealership loses like 2000 or more. Therefore they can't make up fake names

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
It doesn't need fake names. They could 'sell' it to a family member who instantly 'sells' it back to the dealership.
That would get around the restriction Kia placed on the sale.
I'm not sure many dealers would have done this as normally a pre-registered car isn't worth a much as a brand new one but maybe they could have seen the prices of the nearly new Kona and taken a punt.

Who knows what is happening but I'm sure there are plenty of people dropping out because of the wait that could be persuaded to come to the same arrangement if they were making money from it as well. I know I would be interested.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
They car has to be registered to that name. Not even the son or daughter of the order holder but that name. If it's changed then the dealership loses like 2000 or more. Therefore they can't make up fake names
I know that, I wasn’t literally suggesting Mickey Mouse but it’s easy to find people to put on documents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I placed my order on 25th January and was hoping for a late September delivery. My dealer now thinks that it is going to be some time in October instead. Here's hoping that the supply doesn't dry up before mine finally arrives!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just saw two new e-Niros listed on Autotrader in Norfolk, so having too much time on my hands I called them. Basically they are trying to get people to put down a £500 deposit to join their reservation queue. They told me so far only 200 cars have been delivered, and there's a 12 to 18 month wait between order and delivery.
Meanwhile Kia still advertise the e-Niro on facebook.

sigh.

Oh, and the demonstrators that dealers have are loan cars, owned by Kia on loan to them for 9 months. So at some point dealers will return them. I wonder what Kia will do, presumably sell them a few months before 2nd edition cars can be delivered?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts