Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For those owners out there what is the typical economy you have achieved out of your cars during different scenario's, i.e. summer vs winter driving, motorway vs town etc?

On our test drive we achieved 4.0m/kW with a mixture of motorway and town driving with heating on etc, could we expect more or worse than this? What is your best single tank range vs worst etc?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My best in the summer was 349 miles from a full charge. My worst to date is 3.2miles/kWh - but this is down to winter weather and also my regen paddles are not working properly and you can feel the regen on even whilst driving normally (it is a bit like driving with the handbrake on). Kia have ordered some replacement parts to fix it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Best 5.1 miles per kWh and worst 2.9.
As posted elsewhere I have just fitted all season tyres and in the current wet and colder season have been getting 3.6 driving 150 miles at 70mph on the motorway.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
About 4 is pretty typical for mixed use.
I've managed my best and worst on my short 6 mile work commute. Work is higher so on the way there so it's colder and uphill.
I've managed to get as low as 2.1. :eek:
The best is the return journey when warm where I've managed 7 😂
It all evens out.
349 miles from @Devon Dumpling is rather impressive but I've had 280 on the motorway in the summer (albeit with a fair few 50mph zones).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the e-Niro on test for a week and just drove it like I do my own car. I averaged between 3.2 and 3.8. I'm not a particularly efficient driver either so I was pretty pleased with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get and average of 3.2 mi/kWh, for mixed driving, but I very rarely get above 4 for a return journey (A/C usually on)
Also my eNiro's 100% SOC indicated range (dash) seems to have dropped from ~270mi (20C) to ~240mi (5C) in the recent cold weather.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What’s the feeling regarding the auto regen versus level 3? I’ve averaged 4mpkWh with auto regen on. Am I likely to see more with level 3?

·
Registered
649 Posts
What’s the feeling regarding the auto regen versus level 3? I’ve averaged 4mpkWh with auto regen on. Am I likely to see more with level 3?
I'm somewhat sceptical about having any fixed level of regen on. It seems to me that if I'm driving with any level other than zero, if I thenb switch down to zero it feels as though the car is less inhibited. So my feeling is that having regen on and doing anything other than slowing down is making the car work harder for the speed than it needs to. However, I've done no testing to see if that is true. Auto regen (with a default of 0) is another matter, though, and I have that on all the time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Can I clarify that Doug? I thought auto was auto. Can you set different levels of auto then?
@Gif - Sorry, my bad grammar. As you say, auto is auto and you have no control over that (other than switching it off). Whether auto regen is on or off, you can still set a fixed level of regen which can get overridden by auto as (it deems) necessary. It was that fixed level of regen that I was referring to. I tend to keep that at 0 except when I want the car to slow down at, for instance, a crossroads. But the auto regen I leave on all the time so that the car will slow down (sometimes quite violently!) as it thinks necessary when it detects an obstacle in its path.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Gif - Sorry, my bad grammar. As you say, auto is auto and you have no control over that (other than switching it off). Whether auto regen is on or off, you can still set a fixed level of regen which can get overridden by auto as (it deems) necessary. It was that fixed level of regen that I was referring to. I tend to keep that at 0 except when I want the car to slow down at, for instance, a crossroads. But the auto regen I leave on all the time so that the car will slow down (sometimes quite violently!) as it thinks necessary when it detects an obstacle in its path.
The 0 setting isn't truly zero though. It still regenerates some power at 0 setting. This can be seen when you set the drive mode to eco. The little counter pops up showing how much distance has been regenerated. My last car, an Ioniq, had true zero regen and would freewheel for very long distances. The Niro doesn't do this.

It's a pity you can't set the regen to zero in the drive mode settings. I sometimes forget to turn regen off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I thought that the car only detected obstacles when in Cruise Control? If I knock CC off, the car careers towards the car in front!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well, I thought that the car only detected obstacles when in Cruise Control? If I knock CC off, the car careers towards the car in front!
It will, regeneration doesn't have eyes to look forward, it just slows down like any car under engine braking will if you take your foot off the loud pedal. It's the degree of braking which is controlled by the paddles. If there is a stationary object, it might brake in time or the emergency brake assist may help, otherwise you're face planting I'm afraid.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm somewhat sceptical about having any fixed level of regen on. It seems to me that if I'm driving with any level other than zero, if I thenb switch down to zero it feels as though the car is less inhibited. So my feeling is that having regen on and doing anything other than slowing down is making the car work harder for the speed than it needs to. However, I've done no testing to see if that is true. Auto regen (with a default of 0) is another matter, though, and I have that on all the time.
I have a feeling the Auto regen also introduces some kind of resistance even when not 'officially' applying regen. It's just that a few times I have accidentally turned off Auto regen without noticing and I have thought wow the car is running very smoothly today. After a number of times discovering this I left Auto Regen off. Seems much easier and smoother now. I manually add regen when coming to junctions and such.

I do miss the auto braking when approaching other vehicles though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a feeling the Auto regen also introduces some kind of resistance even when not 'officially' applying regen.
It does :( I did a test yesterday and switched the central console to display regen. You can clearly see that it is regening ev en with regen set to 0.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts