Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am the idiot who lost his ignition / entry fob six weeks into ownership of an e-niro. Does anyone have any advice on where best to look for a replacement and prices? How at risk is the vehicle if someone finds it and has wicked intentions?!

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
155 Posts
Yes, I am the idiot who lost his ignition / entry fob six weeks into ownership of an e-niro. Does anyone have any advice on where best to look for a replacement and prices? How at risk is the vehicle if someone finds it and has wicked intentions?!
Surely the best place to look for it is near where you lost it.
Failing that a KIA dealer should be able to source a replacement.
What other choices are there?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,606 Posts
Some car insurances come with key protection? Check if you can't claim? Again, if you only want to have a claim against your insurance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I
Surely the best place to look for it is near where you lost it.
Failing that a KIA dealer should be able to source a replacement.
What other choices are there?
Where I lost it is 95 miles away and I am now in quarantine after a trip to France. The petrol station I used can't find it so I guess it is "lost".

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Silly question but how did you get home? Did you have both keys with you?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yikes! That's about £300 more than I was expecting :-(
That’s why any decent dealership these days asks you if you have both keys before they give you a part ex price 🙈 Still a rip off if you ask me. I mean, which bit of the plastic is worth £500?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silly question but how did you get home? Did you have both keys with you?
No, I started the car, checked the charge level and got out to disconnect. Then lost the key before driving home - so yes you can drive away without the fob.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
So the car went nuts with its warning whistle when you got out with the key? Sorry, just checking the obvious, it’s def not still in the car or your clothing or anything you bought in the garage? 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What hoops did you have to go through to get a new one, or could anyone who took a fancy to your car get a key for £449
I don't have a new one as yet. The process is you have to go in with your log book, pay the money and when the new fob arrives you return with your spare key / the car (?) to match the signal.
I will check to see if third party versions are available at a better price but I expect I will just have to cut out the vintage champagne for a year and order one from Kia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the car went nuts with its warning whistle when you got out with the key? Sorry, just checking the obvious, it’s def not still in the car or your clothing or anything you bought in the garage? 😁
No, the only time we realised we had a problem was when we couldn't open the parking bay gates as the fob for that was attached to the Kia one. Otherwise it drove perfectly well without the fob being in the car. But I will check again before parting with £449!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some car insurances come with key protection? Check if you can't claim? Again, if you only want to have a claim against your insurance!
Yes, but they trigger the excess costs. The sensible thing is to pay the £25-£30 for an additional special cover for keys. That way you don't incur the excess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
No, the only time we realised we had a problem was when we couldn't open the parking bay gates as the fob for that was attached to the Kia one. Otherwise it drove perfectly well without the fob being in the car. But I will check again before parting with £449!
If you get out with the key in your hand and the car started, you should get an audible warning that you’ve removed the key. If there was no warning that suggests to me the key was still present in the car at that stage. The only way to kill the warning is to have the car off and then it would not restart without the key.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,606 Posts
That doesn't make sense. I will test this, but as soon as I remove the key from the inside, I get an alarm and message on the display! Or you have another problem.

Edit: just went to the car, and started it with key inside. Took the key out of the car. It did not actually signal anything until I closed the door. At that point an audible alarm sounded, which I could hear while being outside of the car. There is no way anyone can miss the alarm.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Assume you were on a rapid? I can’t replicate that behaviour on an AC even with the power supply knocked off. The car still warns of being plugged in and the key proximity warning still goes off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gif!!! Your point made me go and check on what the car does if the engine is running but the fob is not in the car. BIG RED warning - FOB not in car. So, I went through all my pockets, my rucksack, carrier bags under seats Again. Nothing. Then I checked my wife's jacket. The person who has given me a hard time to ut it mildly since we arrived homes, apparently without the fob. But no, there it was in her pocket. Thank you Gif for pushing me to check one more time. To everyone else, thanks for your help and sorry, very sorry, it was a wild goose chase. 🤭

1 - 20 of 29 Posts