Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I’m seriously considering taking the plunge and ordering or acquiring an E Niro (my first EV) one thing that preys on my mind a little is the general security of having £35k plus parked outside on my driveway. I am the original 'Mr what if' unfortunately.

So I suppose my first question is just how much of a theft target such an EV car would be. I mean is an EV more or less of a target than a similar value fossil fuel car?

Would the online connected nature of the car and the UVO app system make the car inherently traceable and so would this prevent thieves from stealing it, Or at least make catching them afterwards relatively easy? Can the tracking be disabled by the crooks?

Then there is the Relay theft possibilities due to the smart keyless entry/start system. Can the fob be turned off, or can the Keyless entry be disabled in the setup options? I know you can get faraday shielded wallets, containers etc to keep the fob in to hopefully prevent it happening.

I suppose I should also ask has anyone had one stolen (or even attempted) yet?

My present car is a 14y old Prius. It’s been great but obviously it’s value/ risk is now is relatively small. There is the ever present risk of some low life stealing the cat converter (which is now at epidemic proportions sadly). I always said I’d never buy another brand new car as initial depreciation etc is so great. However, I feel a new EV is the way to go and benefit from the full warranty and a new unused, full performance battery.
I'm interested to hear others opinions and tips on this general subject please.

thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
So I suppose my first question is just how much of a theft target such an EV car would be. I mean is an EV more or less of a target than a similar value fossil fuel car?
Like any specific car, it depends on the demand for cars / parts. I wouldn't have thought your average tea leaf is going to look twice at a Kia badge on the driveway. I haven't done it yet but going to rebadge the rear so there's one less sign saying "electric".
Would the online connected nature of the car and the UVO app system make the car inherently traceable
Yes in theory but if it's stolen to order, they are going to know how to overcome this anyway.
Then there is the Relay theft possibilities due to the smart keyless entry/start system.
Key in tin!
I think you're worrying too much unless you live in a street with regular and repeated thefts and can't secure the car in garage (y)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
One of the reasons I'll cancelled my Model 3 order is because it's far more anonymous than a Tesla.
Also hatchback and cheaper.
You have to be very aware to know the difference between the hybrid/PHEV and the full electric.
At the last Fully Charged I tried to get the wrong car in the car park. It was a Niro PHEV :ROFLMAO:
I've live on a council estate and pretty much no one bats an eye lid (had it 12 months now).
No badge kudos to attract the idiots/thieves. It's a Kia!
When I hired a Tesla for day....lots of interest.

Reactions: Gif

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I'll cancelled my Model 3 order is because it's far more anonymous than a Tesla.
Also hatchback and cheaper.
You have to be very aware to know the difference between the hybrid/PHEV and the full electric.
At the last Fully Charged I tried to get the wrong car in the car park. It was a Niro PHEV :ROFLMAO:
I've live on a council estate and pretty much no one bats an eye lid (had it 12 months now).
No badge kudos to attract the idiots/thieves. It's a Kia!
When I hired a Tesla for day....lots of interest.
I agree. There’s 3 main reasons why I wouldn’t want a Tesla.
1. It’s just way too 'flash'. I want to just blend into the background. I expect the aggravated thefts rate will be relatively high.
2. I couldn’t live with almost everything controlled by a numb looking iPad screen.
3. They are just too expensive for me.

Also, conventional hatchback style is a must. I was quite planning to go for a E Soul, but after seeing a couple of Soul fossil cars parked up nearby, I’ve ruled it out completely. I just couldn’t live with the postman pat style body shape.

Peter

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would particularly like to know if the smart keyless entry system can be disabled in the car settings screens.

For me, the risk of relay theft outweighs the small benefit in my car automatically opening its doors. I would rather just use the remote buttons on the fob to unlock the car.

Placing the fob in a faraday wallet/pouch/tin is too much hassle. I’d rather just turn off the feature entirely.

Does the E-Niro allow this?

Peter

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would particularly like to know if the smart keyless entry system can be disabled in the car settings screens.

For me, the risk of relay theft outweighs the small benefit in my car automatically opening its doors. I would rather just use the remote buttons on the fob to unlock the car.

Placing the fob in a faraday wallet/pouch/tin is too much hassle. I’d rather just turn off the feature entirely.

Does the E-Niro allow this?

Peter
No.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There are essentially two settings

The default unmodifiable state where you can press the door button to unlock the car once the fob is within about 1m of the door (or boot)

There is the option in the settings to Unlock the car automatically when you approach the car with the fob in hand / pocket (I have this turned off)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Faraday pouch and a good steering lock. If you want to avoid those then fit a ghost alarm system, but that will setup back at least £300-400

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just picking up on this theme as it struck me and I know my wife is terrible at leaving keys near the door. I assume that the E Niro is at risk of a relay type theft into the keyless go. I don't mind sticking my key in a tin overnight, but need to find something that would work for the wife. Do the pouch blockers work?

Almost need a setting that turns off keyless go overnight! That would be ideal for us.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Also keep in mind that the e-Niro does not have a very good alarm system. There is no perimeter/proximity alarm thing - so if someone was to break any windows on the e-Niro the alarm will not ring. I have found this out first hand.
You can also sit in the car, press all the buttons, jump up and down and nothing will happen until you force unlock the door and open it. In the PHEV you can turn it on as well with the car locked. Have not tried in the e-Niro.

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
34 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about theft for a second.

Its a Kia at the end of the day. Its not an RS Audi or Bmw M car. No one will look twice at it.

In the extreme event that someone does want your car then if they are determined enough they will have it, regardless of what you do. Ultimately they'll kick your door in and take your keys from you.

Life is to short to be paranoid and looking for the worst case scenario all the time. Enjoy it and live it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about theft for a second.

Its a Kia at the end of the day. Its not an RS Audi or Bmw M car. No one will look twice at it.

In the extreme event that someone does want your car then if they are determined enough they will have it, regardless of what you do. Ultimately they'll kick your door in and take your keys from you.

Life is to short to be paranoid and looking for the worst case scenario all the time. Enjoy it and live it.
I see where your are coming from, but It doesn't need to be about being paranoid. Firstly cars can be a significant sum of money and so it is reasonable for people to want to protect the expenditure and seek to avoid the anxiety and hassle of a theft. Secondly, by making your car a less easy target than others in the neighborhood, that can be enough to deter a thief.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just picking up on this theme as it struck me and I know my wife is terrible at leaving keys near the door. I assume that the E Niro is at risk of a relay type theft into the keyless go. I don't mind sticking my key in a tin overnight, but need to find something that would work for the wife. Do the pouch blockers work?

Almost need a setting that turns off keyless go overnight! That would be ideal for us.
I got a couple of these. They work surprisingly well and I find easy to use as part of my normal coming home routine. I keep the unused spare fob hidden away inside one pouch, and my daily used key bundle in the other pouch. It appears to completely block all the key fob functions even if sat inside the car.

They do smaller ones too.....

I got both types as they are so cheap, but I prefer the larger one. The smaller one would take the fob alone but no real room for anything else. Just be careful when putting fob inside that it goes properly inside the inner golden shielded compartment and fold over the Velcro flap. It is easy to accidentally slip the fob/keys between the inner compartment and the outer case. Then it would not work at all. I glued with print stick the front of the inner sleeve to the outside of the case to prevent this possibility happening. A very easy and effective mod to do.

Peter

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got a couple of these. They work surprisingly well and I find easy to use as part of my normal coming home routine. I keep the unused spare fob hidden away inside one pouch, and my daily used key bundle in the other pouch. It appears to completely block all the key fob functions even if sat inside the car.

They do smaller ones too.....

I got both types as they are so cheap, but I prefer the larger one. The smaller one would take the fob alone but no real room for anything else. Just be careful when putting fob inside that it goes properly inside the inner golden shielded compartment and fold over the Velcro flap. It is easy to accidentally slip the fob/keys between the inner compartment and the outer case. Then it would not work at all. I glued with print stick the front of the inner sleeve to the outside of the case to prevent this possibility happening. A very easy and effective mod to do.

Peter
I’ve had these cheap pouches from ebay. They work when new but after a few weeks of daily use you’ll find they stop working.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I’ve had these cheap pouches from ebay. They work when new but after a few weeks of daily use you’ll find they stop working.
Really? These ones look well made to me I’ve been using them for 3 months since I got the car. Were yours the exact same ones? Was there some visible degradation?
I’ll test them again now you’ve said that, but they look fine to me. I’ll report back.

Peter

·
Registered
e-Niro 4+ 64kWh
1 Posts
Hi Guys. First post here, I noticed that in one of the previous posts that someone mentioned fitting a Ghost Immobilizer is there anybody who has had this done and can tell me what they think about it on an EV. I had one on my previous car a Ford Focus ST and found it very good, but not sure how it would work on an EV.

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
34 Posts
Itll work just the same, set of button presses in order to allow it to start.

Can't see the point though, who's stealing Kias?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts