Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

There seem to be loads of great lease deals on the Kia E-Niro at the moment.

Does anyone know if these prices are here to stay or if it's some kind of over supply issue at the KIA factory? How long does delivery usually take?

Reason I ask is that I was planning on getting an electric car spring time next year, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to grab one of these deals while they are around now.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Crystal ball time. Some sites have historical data and this says that the lease prices are as low as they have been. I have reported elsewhere (lease deals thread I think) that using standard industry equations, the prices are very keen at the moment.

My personal experience is that low prices on lease don't usually stay around forever as most manufacturers will have a target. Saying that, the e-Niro prices have been stable since the middle of October.

My view would be to go for one now if you are happy with the price and see if you can specify the delivery date.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
What are the delivery times like? Might be spring before you get it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
Probably a significant battery update in the works, so “old” model will start to get discounted before the “new” model appears with larger battery and no discounts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There are some top spec 2020 model year 4s in stock in UK due to lack of sales during the first lockdown. Some of those customer have since ordered the 2021 4+ which started arriving this week, but all are sold and there’s a wait of up to 6 months after that.

Lease prices on the 4, being in stock are attractive. Huge list of standard kit. We ordered one 2 weeks ago and it arrived a couple of days ago. Better value than an ID3 (and more pleasant to drive frankly), and no playing Russian roulette with delivery dates and COVID.

We did ours through Jet Leasing who offered the cheapest deal on leasing.com

For a 4, £306 a month, £2,700 initial, 10k miles and as the monthlies were similar over 2 or 3 years, went for the latter so as to defer the initial payment over a longer term, making it even cheaper.

Jet and the supplying Kia dealer both amazing throughout. Best car “buying” experience we’ve had in years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Leased my 4 two months ago because I was worried that prices may rise. So wrong. Today a 4+ on 9/24 at 10k miles is £305 Inc vat. That's a steal. I used jet financing. They were very good. No connection other than I used them.

I am leasing because I think electric cars will become like early mobiles for the next few years. Every year you get twice the capacity for half the price. But very happy with my 4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies. I decided to bite the bullet and I ordered one from here:

Works out at £7598 for 24 months 5k miles including maintenance so £316 a month total. Excess mileage is 18ppm but I probably won't need it. A 4+ was an extra £40 a month and I didn't think it was worth it.

I went for the no cost colour of Silky Silver and was told a delivery date of February. I asked if I can delay the delivery time until March to get a 21 plate and they said no problem so delivery will be March 1st.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Lease prices are driven largely by depreciation. There is now more certainty about residual values of the e-Niro, hence lower lease prices. The MY21 cars are being built to order - there is no stockpile being sold cheaply. Counter-intuitively, if there was huge discounting, the lease prices may rise, due to the impact on residuals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lease prices are driven largely by depreciation. There is now more certainty about residual values of the e-Niro, hence lower lease prices. The MY21 cars are being built to order - there is no stockpile being sold cheaply. Counter-intuitively, if there was huge discounting, the lease prices may rise, due to the impact on residuals.
Hyundai Kona is the same car, arguably more desirable but the lease prices are higher. Do they depreciate more?
Similarly Tesla M3 has virtually no depreciation yet the lease prices are also very high. The lease market makes no sense!
The current Kia E-Niro lease deals must be in some way sponsored or assisted by the Kia to assist with either used stock, factory capacity or fleet CO2 carbon credits.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I decided to bite the bullet and I ordered one from here:

Works out at £7598 for 24 months 5k miles including maintenance so £316 a month total. Excess mileage is 18ppm but I probably won't need it. A 4+ was an extra £40 a month and I didn't think it was worth it.

I went for the no cost colour of Silky Silver and was told a delivery date of February. I asked if I can delay the delivery time until March to get a 21 plate and they said no problem so delivery will be March 1st.
Well done, good deal.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The current Kia E-Niro lease deals must be in some way sponsored or assisted by the Kia to assist with either used stock, factory capacity or fleet CO2 carbon credits.
It seems like a valid assumption but it makes no sense. If Kia is desperate to sell these cars, why does it offer no discounts on cars sold through dealers? And why are MY2021 cars still on 3-4 month lead times? Leases are directly related to depreciation. The lease company is looking to cover the loss of value over the course of the contract, plus its profit margin.

12 months ago, the e-Niro was an expensive lease option, often more expensive than the model 3, despite the lower list price. That only made sense because the car was expected to rapidly drop in value (residuals on PCPs were also terrible at that time). 12 months on, the cars appear to be holding value, leases are cheaper, and residuals on pcps have hugely increased (by around 50%).

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I understand the prices are due to funders needing to meet yearly targets, the discounts are solely from them and not Kia.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm looking at taking a lease on for the first time eniro 3 with 8k milage (though may exceed this within 10k) - 24mths lease and 9 month deposit which suits the monthlys. As I have no experience with leasing (currently have a PCP for a 2020 (69) eGolf) are the excess milage costs fixed (e.g. Phoenixcats 18ppm is this a good/avg figure) and are you normally able to negotiate the excess ppm - thanks in advance - Kris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm looking at taking a lease on for the first time eniro 3 with 8k milage (though may exceed this within 10k) - 24mths lease and 9 month deposit which suits the monthlys. As I have no experience with leasing (currently have a PCP for a 2020 (69) eGolf) are the excess milage costs fixed (e.g. Phoenixcats 18ppm is this a good/avg figure) and are you normally able to negotiate the excess ppm - thanks in advance - Kris
PPM is usually not negotiable. Without maintenance it’s 15PPM.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
They should get the excess mileage down because at the moment a lot of people don't know what they need. Some insurance companies are doing that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts