Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread has been started for posts about low-speed (type 2) charging which we started to get on the thread about rapid charging. I was the guilty party so I hope will make amends.
The first was this one: e-Niro rapid charging.
Then: e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
e-Niro rapid charging.
In my case the problem could have been caused by the car or it could be the circuit breaker. I am inclined to suspect the car just now, mainly because the the other car never had a problem. But we need more information to be sure. Swap-testing is the way to go but swapping out the circuit breaker or the car (at least, one with a 7.2 kW charger) are both impossible for me without help.
In your case @Woodulike it was unknown charging infrastructure so you have even less data but the fact that it charged when started manually but not on the car's timer could be telling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One thing I’m curious about is around the “prioritise off peak tariff” versus “off peak tariff only”.

I’m on Octopus Go so have the 4 hours a night at £0.05 per kWh.

Currently I set it to off peak tariff only, start the charge at 00:30 and let it end when it hits 80% charge (set off peak tariff to 09:00 or something, AC limit to 80%) to ensure I get the 4 hours and then whatever else the car needs.

Am I being too direct about this? If I set the departure time to 06:00, off peak tariff to 00:30 - 04:30, is the car clever enough to ensure it uses the 4 cheapest hours and whatever else to get to the required 80%?

Not had time or inclination to play with it yet so any thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As I understand it:
1) Prioritise off-peak - will only start to charge when off-peak rate starts but will continue to charge to whatever level you have set if it hasn't reached it by the end of off-peak period i.e. will continue to charge after 04:30 until it reaches 80% (if that is what you have set)
2) Off peak only - will only charge during off peak hours and will stop charging when it gets to 04:30 regardless of what state of charge it has reached.
I don't know about setting a departure time that is after the period the car will be charging - if it works at all, I suspect it will use the battery to heat/cool the car without adding any further charge - particularly under scenario 2). Maybe somebody else has tried this?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I’m curious about is around the “prioritise off peak tariff” versus “off peak tariff only”.

I’m on Octopus Go so have the 4 hours a night at £0.05 per kWh.

Currently I set it to off peak tariff only, start the charge at 00:30 and let it end when it hits 80% charge (set off peak tariff to 09:00 or something, AC limit to 80%) to ensure I get the 4 hours and then whatever else the car needs.

Am I being too direct about this? If I set the departure time to 06:00, off peak tariff to 00:30 - 04:30, is the car clever enough to ensure it uses the 4 cheapest hours and whatever else to get to the required 80%?

Not had time or inclination to play with it yet so any thoughts welcome.
Yes, it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, it is.
I’ll give it go. Without information from our in home device, the lack of bills from Octopus (haven’t had one for 2 months) and the pod point app showing nothing in terms of home charging I’m a bit in the dark as to what’s going on.

All 3 things are being chased. All this stuff is supposed to be smart and connected so I at least want to see the data so I can evaluate our usage patterns etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’ll give it go. Without information from our in home device, the lack of bills from Octopus (haven’t had one for 2 months) and the pod point app showing nothing in terms of home charging I’m a bit in the dark as to what’s going on.

All 3 things are being chased. All this stuff is supposed to be smart and connected so I at least want to see the data so I can evaluate our usage patterns etc.
By the side of my computer monitor is a small LCD display, about the size of a large smartphone, which shows the house electrical energy consumption, both live and as a cumulative total since midnight. It get its data from a device in the meter cupboard which consists of a sensor which clamps onto the main feed and a wireless transmitter. The display receives the data wirelessly and, displays it. The device came from one of my past energy suppliers, free of charge, and I find myself using it many times a day. Perhaps you could get one like it. I am sure you'd find it useful.

This one isn't the same as mine and I don't know whether they are any good but you'll get the idea: Wireless Smart Energy Kit Wireless Energy Monitor by Onzo | eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts

I also have a Pod Point Home Charger and I get monthly charging data from PodPoint showing my pod Point home charger usage, see example, would this help?

BTW I threw my home usage display away as it would not default to displaying kWh only ££s.
I get my electricity from OVO Energy and via their website I have daily consumption data going back years. It also attempts to analysis how the electricity is used but I don't pay much attention to that.
2019-05-08 10_53_57-Window.png

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also have a Pod Point Home Charger and I get monthly charging data from PodPoint showing my pod Point home charger usage, see example, would this help?

BTW I threw my home usage display away as it would not default to displaying kWh only ££s.
I get my electricity from OVO Energy and via their website I have daily consumption data going back years. It also attempts to analysis how the electricity is used but I don't pay much attention to that.
View attachment 116820
This is what I would expect to see but the app shows nothing at all. I’ve emailed their support.

John - I have an in home device that shows usage, it just doesn’t seem to include any power drawn by the Pod-Point charger. All a bit weird...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Are you sure it's not wired into the neighbour's mains? :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have scheduled charging setup, then I would recommend having location charging also configured.
If this works as intended then at your set location (e.g. home) the charging is done as per schedule. In all other locations the car starts AC charging as soon as if is connected to an EVSE.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
If you have scheduled charging setup, then I would recommend having location charging also configured.
If this works as intended then at your set location (e.g. home) the charging is done as per schedule. In all other locations the car starts AC charging as soon as if is connected to an EVSE.
There have been issues reported with the Kona and location charging. I think it's the car not recognising the location correctly and doing the wrong thing at times

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is what I would expect to see but the app shows nothing at all. I’ve emailed their support.

John - I have an in home device that shows usage, it just doesn’t seem to include any power drawn by the Pod-Point charger. All a bit weird...
My pod point is installed before my consumer unit, directly off the meter output. Maybe your current usage device is on the house feed side? There's a house current detector on mine which the pod point uses to limit total consumption to ~60A I think.

Edit - on a different note, I don't trust the timed charging after the first time I used it resulted in a red light on the pod point and no charge delivered. I've had success since then but I have no idea when the charging happened.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My pod point is installed before my consumer unit, directly off the meter output. Maybe your current usage device is on the house feed side? There's a house current detector on mine which the pod point uses to limit total consumption to ~60A I think.

Edit - on a different note, I don't trust the timed charging after the first time I used it resulted in a red light on the pod point and no charge delivered. I've had success since then but I have no idea when the charging happened.
I’m no electrician but what you describe sounds similar to what the installer described. Some kind of device that will throttle the the Pod-Point if the house amp draw is too high.

I’m not bothered about the IHD and it showing the usage. My issue at the moment is that I have no idea what the car is drawing and when!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you checked if the sensor that clamps on to the feed cable is placed immediately after your electricity meter and before any other take offs - in that position it will sense all current drawn through the meter. I have an ancient OWL device that does that and with USB connection to PC you can examine consumption day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute! I can see exactly how much the car draws and when it starts and stops.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Could it be that your sensor is on the wrong cable?

·
Registered
29 Posts

View attachment 116820
Mike, how do you get the report back from PodPoint like shown. The csv file I receive is lacking time of charge data?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike, how do you get the report back from PodPoint like shown. The csv file I receive is lacking time of charge data?
Hi David, I don't actually get a csv file. The example is a screen capture of the email body text. Podpoint have been sending me emails like this for the last 2 years. I have to convert the text into an excel file for my use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi David, I don't actually get a csv file. The example is a screen capture of the email body text. Podpoint have been sending me emails like this for the last 2 years. I have to convert the text into an excel file for my use.
Ah, thanks Mike. The csv file is good enough but I have to strip out the KWhr when I dump it into the spreadsheet but the time of day when charging occurred would have been useful.
Probably like you, it's shown me just how low cost an EV is to run compared to petrol ha ha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Note it is showing the time the car was connected / disconnected rather than the actual time of charging. My car will have charged from the connection time till it was fully charged not the time it was disconnected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts