Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a thread for just random single quick fire questions and answers could be very useful generally. Not a place for long meandering debates just quickie questions that others will likely know the answer to easily.
Before anyone says why not just RTFM? We all know the manual is pretty poor and hard going. It often doesn’t give the required answer detail anyway. This forum is the best manual as far as I’m concerned. I suggest start each question with a sub heading in the message window. Don’t modify the main heading please.
I have one question to kick off with. So I’ll add it below.
Peter

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FOB boot/trunk button?

Ok. What Is that button for? It appears to unlock the trunk and flash the lights. But I can open the boot by just walking up to it and opening it (with fob in my pocket. So why would I need a button on the fob?

Peter

·
Registered
194 Posts
FOB boot/trunk button?

Ok. What Is that button for? It appears to unlock the trunk and flash the lights. But I can open the boot by just walking up to it and opening it (with fob in my pocket. So why would I need a button on the fob?

Peter
If it’s like my Ceed it only unlocks the boot/trunk only, be careful don’t put the keys in the boot /trunk and shut it down, because if it’s like the Ceed it locks them in and you out.......

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
FOB boot/trunk button?

Ok. What Is that button for?
Somebody else to get in is my only answer. Never use it as you say as 99.9% of the time either the car is already unlocked or I have the key with me!

·
Registered
327 Posts
FOB boot/trunk button?

Peter
It's a bit illogical, but here's how I used it while I was isolating:-

Mr Sainsbury arrives with a pile of groceries for me and rings the door bell.
I shout through the door PUT THEM IN THE CAR BOOT PLEASE and press the unlock button on the fob
Mr Sainsbury delivers the groceries into the boot
Mr Sainsbury goes on his merry way
Sometime later when no ones about I creep out (masked and gloved) to recover said groceries

And we all lived happily ever after. :)

John.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can you protect the rear heated seats button with a child lock?

And what is the difference between P and the electronic parking brake?

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea about rear heated seats, my 4 doesn’t have them :cry:
Maybe try the rear door child window lock?? It might just be linked?

P just selects the transmission selector to park mode. This locks the transmission gearbox so the front wheels can’t roll. Sort of equivalent to parking a manual car 'in gear'.
The parking brake On the rear wheels is set by pulling the knob for it upwards. It is released automatically when you want to drive. You can hear the motors whirr when it is actuated either way.
I would have expected the parking brake to set itself automatically when you turn off the car but strangely it doesn’t. I’ve no idea why not.

Peter

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would have expected the parking brake to set itself automatically when you turn off the car but strangely it doesn’t. I’ve no idea why not.
Peter
You might want to turn the car off without setting the parking brake. For example, in icy conditions it may be better to leave the parking brake off overnight and chock the wheels instead to avoid the brakes being stuck on. But thank you for your post because I was wondering how I could leave the parking brake off when it turns icy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Turns out it is linked!

Next question: how do I stop charging from the car? I can cancel it in the app but couldn't see how to do it from the car! Do I have to turn it on first?
All you need do is to unplug the car. The signal wire will stop the current flowing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The cable wouldn't come out though as it was locked for charging, only when I stopped the charge could I remove it.
That is interesting. My car has always finished charging before I have disconnected. Did you try locking and unlocking the car to see if that would release the cable? If that does not work I suppose it would be necessary to turn off the charger.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts