Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen a possible couple of solutions.. evnotify which is an obd dongle and also “tronity” which is app based.. although with a subscription.. haven’t found much info on either yet tho.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently learned of the EV Watchdog app, which does keep stats on your "trips", by trip, day, week, etc. Uses OBD dongle, and it's limited to Hyundai/Kia vehicles.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can anybody make any recommendations for a battery booster? I'd like one for emergencies, but I'm getting confused by the various amp ratings and the descriptions that say "Suitable for x.x l engine".
I bought this one but haven't needed to use it for my eNiro. I have used it for our other car which is a 2.2L diesel Honda and worked great.

It's a Buture battery booster 2000a costs about £60. Sorry but link didn't work so removed. Just remember to charge it monthly as I didn't and had only 35% charge. Still worked but was close as charge dropped dramatically after one start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where is the towing eye and Tyre Inflation Kit?

In case anyone else hits the same problem... I had my new e-Niro 2 delivered about a week ago, and I could not for the life of me find the tyre repair kit or towing eye that the owner's manual suggests I should have. After exchanging some messages with the leasing company (Tusker), some kind lady at Kia revealed the secret...

The foam insert in the storage tray under the boot floor can be lifted out to reveal another hidden layer of storage - and that is where the tyre pump and towing eye eye are stored! There is no mention of this in the Owner's Manual as far as I can see, and it wasn't exactly obvious!

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
149 Posts
Hi all,
I am terribly sorry if it's the wrong group or if I am ruining an ongoing conversation. I need so me advice from anyone who has has a Kia E-neo 64Kwh model 3 that claims a range of 280miles. I have a work commute of 93 miles one way (186 both ways) all on mortorway. I am alone in the car and no other weight and intending on driving it between 70 miles per hour +/-10% on overtaking. At work, I am can use the EV charging point for 4 hours. I have the following questions.
  • on full charge, can I make the roud trip of 186 miles at 70mph on the motorway in the worst of conditions such as winter?
  • is 4 hours that I get to charge the car at work sufficient for full charge?
  • what is the average cost of full charge at home?

I am thinking of getting this car on a lease via a salary sacrifice. My current diesel car commute costs me £20 on fuel on a single round trip and I am looking to see if a Kia e nero can help save on costs.
Thank you very much for your help with this.
I collected my E Niro 4 a month ago and had a 186 mile return trip, all motorway and dual carriageway at 70mph give or take. I started with an indicated 268 miles of range and finished with 62 miles remaining at 33% so your commute should be easily achievable, unless in sub artic conditions I would guess it was around 8-10 degrees. I'm a fairly light footed driver, don't hammer up then brake at the last minute, ease of early, just a different driving technique. Cruising at 65mph will also extend the range for not a great deal longer in travel time. On my limited experience of using the 7Kw charger at the local Tesco I estimate an 8% charge per hour so 4 hours would give you and additional 32% assuming it's a 7Kw at your workplace. Then top up when you get home ready for the next day. Hope that helps

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is this panel at the front driver-side of the car (presumably a parking sensor) supposed to be...flappy and pokeable?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I can hear a faint grinding sounding noise with regular when driving at slow speeds. I only noticed it today since it was one of the very rare occasions when I had no music playing! I'm guessing this is brake related and will get my lease company to book it in for a check up. Has anyone else had something similar happen to their Niro? I wonder if it's related to the whole "EVs use brake discs so rarely that they rust up" problem or not.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Suggest look at your discs, do they look rusty?? The rears get used even less than the fronts.
I regularly descend a steep long hill in N to deliberately force the disc brakes to operate and thus clean them up. It goes against the grain somewhat as I’m throwing away energy that could normally be recovered into the battery. However, I am pretty sure failure to do this will result in premature corrosion and pitting of the disc surfaces, which then results in accelerated pad wear outs. I had these experiences with my two Prius cars over 20 years and yet they use their disc brakes significantly more than the Eniro does (due to less powerful regen capabilities of the Prius).

I don’t know why (particularly on EVs and Hybrids) makers can’t use a metal for the discs that doesn’t corrode. Motor cycles do this! Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
621 Posts
Peter, how do you force the discs to be used? I have some steep hills where I live but the ruddy thing just adds an extra notch to the regen when I hit the brake pedal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
Peter, how do you force the discs to be used? I have some steep hills where I live but the ruddy thing just adds an extra notch to the regen when I hit the brake pedal.
At top of hill (even whilst descending it?) just pop it into Neutral (errr the car must be powered on and in ready state naturally). at foot of hill just pop it back into D and resume normally.

This (in effect) completely electrically disconnects the traction motor, so no regen, no drive etc. Friction brakes work normally and totally. It’s a trick learned from Prius hybrids.
I wouldn't recommend doing it with the parking brake though! (Please don’t ask me why :ROFLMAO:)
Peter

AFTERTHOUGHT Disclaimer: This procedure has worked for me many times and should do for anyone. However, it’s clearly not a Kia recommended driving procedure it’s probably even illegal too. I believe it’s good and safe to do but please don’t blame me if anything goes wrong. If in any doubt, maybe practice on the flat at a sensible speed a bit first.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,552 Posts
There's a section on one of my regular country drives that has a stretch of level straight road that is always traffic-free. I use that to de-rust my discs. I apply the brakes hard with the left foot and also the accelerator with the right foot to power very hard and force the car to move forwards against the brakes. Speed controlled by balancing the brake pressure with the left foot. As the car is under full power there is no regen possible and the physical brakes get some serious exercise. 25 to 50 metres of that will keep the discs clean if done regularly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
There's a section on one of my regular country drives that has a stretch of level straight road that is always traffic-free. I use that to de-rust my discs. I apply the brakes hard with the left foot and also the accelerator with the right foot to power very hard and force the car to move forwards against the brakes. Speed controlled by balancing the brake pressure with the left foot. As the car is under full power there is no regen possible and the physical brakes get some serious exercise. 25 to 50 metres of that will keep the discs clean if done regularly.
That’s interesting. I didn’t think the car would be so daft as to allow you to do that :unsure: On Prius, pressing the brake whilst hitting the gas, temporarily disables the propulsion power. Must try it soon though :)
Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
621 Posts
You guys are doing things to your cars I wouldn't even have dreamt of when I was 16 years old. Well, not quite but you get what I mean 😀

241 - 260 of 302 Posts