Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help. I’m currently connected to a 150kw charger in Hammersmith operated by BP Pulse, however I’m only getting a 53kW output? Is this correct?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,792 Posts
A Niro won't do more than about 75-80kW at the very most, even on a 150kW or even 350kW Charger. That's the top charge speed of your car. That will only happen when you have a low battery and when the battery is also very warm. If it's cold like it is at the moment and you haven't been on a long motorway jourmey then it won't be warm enough to charge at full speed.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
An example I gave recently on another thread, illustrating that rapid charge rate is almost always determined by the capability of the vehicle and the specific battery state of charge (SoC), and more importantly battery temperature, at the time. A couple of weeks ago I plugged my Tesla Model 3 LR (which had a theoretical maximum charge rate of 250 kW) to a rapid charger that had a maximum charge rate of 350 kW. The maximum charge rate I got was a bit over 50 kW.

Nothing wrong with the car or the charger, it was just that I'd not set the car to precondition for a rapid charge, so the battery was cold, and the battery SoC was relatively high (around 50%). In order to have got close to 250 kW I would have needed the battery SoC to be down around 10% and the battery temperature to be up around 30°C to 40° (it was probably barely 10°C). I could have probably got the charge rate up to maybe 80 kW or more had I had time to preheat the battery pack for longer (takes 20 minutes or so on a Tesla).

For any EV that doesn't have a battery preconditioning system that can heat the battery up, ready for a rapid charge, then it's down to the weather and how the car's been driven immediately before charging that will have the greatest impact on pack temperature, and hence rapid charge rate. The rapid charge rate may increase as the charging process heats the battery up closer to the optimum (usually between 30° and 40°C), but that depends very much on the outside temperature and when the charge taper (based on SoC) starts to kick in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your battery pack was between 15°C and 25°C
Coldgate gets more severe as temperature of battery pack drops:
over 25°C you get full speed 75 kW
below 25°C reduced to 56 kW
below 15°C reduced to 42 kW
below 5°C reduced to only 21kW
(temperature of the coldest battery module is taken into account here)

Get a elm327 adapter so you can access battery module temperatures with e.g. Car Scanner ElmObd2 app for Android/iOS. Once you see the temperatures you know what to expect at the next CCS charger, and even can heat up the battery pack with some spirited jo-jo driving.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Coldgate.... isn’t that toothpaste?
Uncannily similar... Both have to be squeezed hard to get the most out of it! 🤣

Great informative explanations posted here. 👍

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,115 Posts
Just to reignite this thread. My wife is on a long journey and I picked out the ultra fast chargers for her and she sent me an image at BP Pulse Harlow 150kw charger. She was getting only 33kw from it maximum. This is on an evening where the temperature is 22degrees outside, she left with 100% charge, just finished at home and then drove 170 miles on dual carriageway/motorway for the whole journey. I would have thought that this is peak charging conditions.

Does anyone have any thoughts or is it just a poor charger? If all of her charges are like this, it will add hours to her journey.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
714 Posts
Last week I made a 870 km trip and at two chargers only got 36 kW instead of the expected 48 (both were 50 kW chargers). I suspected the car but the same day got 71 kW at Ionity. I think sometimes chargers can misbehave, although I do not discard a software issue in the car. I am still on the original firmware (pre-purple).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just to reignite this thread. My wife is on a long journey and I picked out the ultra fast chargers for her and she sent me an image at BP Pulse Harlow 150kw charger. She was getting only 33kw from it maximum. This is on an evening where the temperature is 22degrees outside, she left with 100% charge, just finished at home and then drove 170 miles on dual carriageway/motorway for the whole journey. I would have thought that this is peak charging conditions.

Does anyone have any thoughts or is it just a poor charger? If all of her charges are like this, it will add hours to her journey.
Your profile states Zoe...Is it an eNiro she was driving or a Zoe?

What was the state of charge when she arrived at the charger?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Last week I made a 870 km trip and at two chargers only got 36 kW instead of the expected 48 (both were 50 kW chargers). I suspected the car but the same day got 71 kW at Ionity. I think sometimes chargers can misbehave, although I do not discard a software issue in the car. I am still on the original firmware (pre-purple).
Ours is a 2021 model 64kWh. Do you think it is software? Not sure how to check this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Your profile states Zoe...Is it an eNiro she was driving or a Zoe?

What was the state of charge when she arrived at the charger?
Thanks, not sure how to change this, my signature has the timeline of cars with Zoe crossed out and I have added my cars to the image. We have an eNiro 64 and Inoiq 38. She was driving the eNiro. It had just over 20% charge when she arrived. It is a 2021 model.

I am concerned as she is heading through France and I have chosen Ultra Fast Rapids (175kw+) for the whole journey to speed her through. If 33kw is all she is going to get, then this is not great.

Reactions: Timbob_Wilts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
974 Posts
The amount of power a rapid D.C. charger gives is mostly controlled by what the car will accept at that time. That power level is mostly decided by the cars built in BMS. You will only get the cars maximum ~70 kW under very specific and limited charging conditions. IMO there is little benefit in going for only the super fast chargers as mostly you won’t be going above 50kW anyway. Probably better to go for more plentiful 50kW chargers (that may also be cheaper too).

The factors that govern the max charge rate are many. Battery temperature too high or too low, SOC too high or too low, ambient temperature, battery cells unbalanced, battery general health. Also if the OBC or the charge point itself are simply running too hot that will curtail the present charging power achieved. The cars max rate will only be achieved when all the conditions are optimal together. Peter.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The amount of power a rapid D.C. charger gives is mostly controlled by what the car will accept at that time. That power level is mostly decided by the cars built in BMS. You will only get the cars maximum ~70 kW under very specific and limited charging conditions. IMO there is little benefit in going for only the super fast chargers as mostly you won’t be going above 50kW anyway. Probably better to go for more plentiful 50kW chargers (that may also be cheaper too).

The factors that govern the max charge rate are many. Battery temperature too high or too low, SOC too high or too low, ambient temperature, battery cells unbalanced, battery general health. Also if the OBC or the charge point itself are simply running too hot that will curtail the present charging power achieved. The cars max rate will only be achieved when all the conditions are optimal together. Peter.
Thanks for this. I have seen 77kWh being delivered at a ultra-fast charger tapering to 57kw at about 60%. I planned her trip using the chart below which across my wife's journey, I estimate that it will save her about 1.5 hours as she will need to charge 6 times.

I will see how she gets on at some other chargers.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Our only local rapid in Kelso is a BP Pulse 50kW unit and often only runs at 36kW with my e-Niro, even at low SoC. I wonder if it’s a charger heat issue - it can be a busy rapid, and maybe is rate limiting due to high operating temperature, or it could just be a poorly maintained unit!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Our only local rapid in Kelso is a BP Pulse 50kW unit and often only runs at 36kW with my e-Niro, even at low SoC. I wonder if it’s a charger heat issue - it can be a busy rapid, and maybe is rate limiting due to high operating temperature, or it could just be a poorly maintained unit!
Thanks, I think you are right. I have just had an update from France. The 150kw Total charger hit 77kw max speed and she is now plugged in at a 50kw charger getting 48kw. So it looks like a fault with BP Pulse (in fact 2 of them) in the UK.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,329 Posts
Worth noting the software running on the head unit (radio screen thing) is independent of the battery management or any other of the car’s systems. When there's a reference to "purple" firmware this is the headunit/infotainment firmware only.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here is an image from the Freshmile App for the 64kw eNiro. There is obviously a problem with the BP Pulse 175kw chargers in the UK.

You can see that in 37 mins it delivered 40 kWh, a lot of this at 70kw. Not bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts