Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a while with the car I am beginning to notice somethings which are missing compared to other vehicles and which you might expect or might miss in the e-Niro:

Frunk
OK, so I knew about this before taking delivery. I do miss it (I have only had one on an ICE car). Really very useful for charging cables in particular because - the charging connector is at the front and when the boot is full, you don't want to have to unload it in the rain to get at the cables.

Headlamp Washers
I hadn't even thought about this before purchasing the car but this is the first vehicle I have owned in years that hasn't got them.

Steering Headlights
This is an odd one as I have never had them before anyway. The LED headlights though are really good in that they send the light exactly where they need to. However, that means that when turning corners, I notice that lack of illumination in the direction I am turning. Old-style lights with their uncontrolled spill were better in this way because they were worse - if you see what I mean.

Glove Box Light
Just noticed that there is no glove compartment light. Seems like a small but unfortunate omission.

Mood Lighting in the Doors
My last car has this. While the mood lighting is a nice feature, having it in the doors is what transforms the car's interior. If you have never had it, I can only say that it gives the car a feeling of space when you are driving at night. This is one of those cases where Kia get points for effort but in the end score so much lower than they should have.

Memory Seats
It is mildly annoying having to re-adjust the seats manually. I would say that it is especially annoying having taken the car to Kia for a check, service or whatever.

Charge Points in the Rear
So, everyone knows about this, that there are no charging points back there. Doesn't bother me but its will be an issue for many I think.

Space in the Boot
I could do with another 100mm length to the boot.

A Flat Load Area
The rear seats fold down but the space they leave isn't flat - there is an incline rising toward the front of the vehicle.

Door Pockets
The front door pockets are small. The rear ones are almost non-existent. Both my previous cars had huge door pockets and I miss them.

Dual Zone Temperature Control
Overall, I am impressed with the heating and cooling of the e-Niro. It heats up very quickly for example and the temperature is very stable in auto mode. It feels a bit cheap for a car of this price to not have dual zones though. Having said that, I love the 'Driver Only' control and when applied it heats the driver's zone incredibly fast!

Temperature Control for Rear Passengers
My last car had this so I notice that this one doesn't. When I carried passengers (which wasn't so often) this was a well-used and well-liked feature.

Power Outlet in the Boot
Just a bit of a surprise this one. Given that the car is generally well equipped.

What omissions have you noticed since becoming an owner?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
After a while with the car I am beginning to notice somethings which are missing compared to other vehicles and which you might expect or might miss in the e-Niro:

Frunk
OK, so I knew about this before taking delivery. I do miss it (I have only had one on an ICE car). Really very useful for charging cables in particular because - the charging connector is at the front and when the boot is full, you don't want to have to unload it in the rain to get at the cables.

Headlamp Washers
I hadn't even thought about this before purchasing the car but this is the first vehicle I have owned in years that hasn't got them.

Steering Headlights
This is an odd one as I have never had them before anyway. The LED headlights though are really good in that they send the light exactly where they need to. However, that means that when turning corners, I notice that lack of illumination in the direction I am turning. Old-style lights with their uncontrolled spill were better in this way because they were worse - if you see what I mean.

Glove Box Light
Just noticed that there is no glove compartment light. Seems like a small but unfortunate omission.

Mood Lighting in the Doors
My last car has this. While the mood lighting is a nice feature, having it in the doors is what transforms the car's interior. If you have never had it, I can only say that it gives the car a feeling of space when you are driving at night. This is one of those cases where Kia get points for effort but in the end score so much lower than they should have.

Memory Seats
It is mildly annoying having to re-adjust the seats manually. I would say that it is especially annoying having taken the car to Kia for a check, service or whatever.

Charge Points in the Rear
So, everyone knows about this, that there are no charging points back there. Doesn't bother me but its will be an issue for many I think.

Space in the Boot
I could do with another 100mm length to the boot.

A Flat Load Area
The rear seats fold down but the space they leave isn't flat - there is an incline rising toward the front of the vehicle.

Door Pockets
The front door pockets are small. The rear ones are almost non-existent. Both my previous cars had huge door pockets and I miss them.

Dual Zone Temperature Control
Overall, I am impressed with the heating and cooling of the e-Niro. It heats up very quickly for example and the temperature is very stable in auto mode. It feels a bit cheap for a car of this price to not have dual zones though. Having said that, I love the 'Driver Only' control and when applied it heats the driver's zone incredibly fast!

Temperature Control for Rear Passengers
My last car had this so I notice that this one doesn't. When I carried passengers (which wasn't so often) this was a well-used and well-liked feature.

Power Outlet in the Boot
Just a bit of a surprise this one. Given that the car is generally well equipped.

What omissions have you noticed since becoming an owner?
The 4+ fills in a few of those gaps, at least here in the UK.
Memory seat (singular) for the driver - I don't think it covers passenger side.
There might be be USB sockets at the rear in this model too.
You can retro add a frunk via Kia Niro
Cobbling your your own from a storage box
(Kona but same difference).

Some of the others just need a bigger car :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 4+ fills in a few of those gaps, at least here in the UK.
Memory seat (singular) for the driver - I don't think it covers passenger side.
There might be be USB sockets at the rear in this model too.
You can retro add a frunk via Kia Niro
Cobbling your your own from a storage box
(Kona but same difference).

Some of the others just need a bigger car :)
Yes, it would ideally have been just a bit longer. But heh, it's a great car.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
889 Posts
Grab handle above drivers door opening. Why give the passenger side a handle but not the driver side?
Previous car had them on both sides.
Peter

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've seen this in a number of cars.

here is the most common answer:
Manufacturers believe that drivers are less likely to use them anyway, especially because they have a steering wheel to grab onto. The steering wheel, by the way, also kind of gets in a way of lifting yourself into position using that grab handle

I think it's just cost saving, the other explanations do not hold water to me.

Greg

·
Registered
889 Posts
Another omission. It’s missing one reversing light (plus the single incandescent bulb is less bright than a church candle!)
Oh yes and no door puddle lights also!
Peter

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Another omission. It’s missing one reversing light (plus the single incandescent bulb is less bright than a church candle!)
Oh yes and no door puddle lights also!
Peter
@Andre Laurence seems have a video for many of these updates!
Here's him showing how to upgrade the reversing light:

Reactions: Andre Laurence

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes but his has 2 reversing lights to start with (FE 2019 model?) 2020 ‘4’ only has flipping 1, and it’s virtually useless.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
279 Posts
An earlier car of mine, a Volvo S70 only had one reversing light. However when I looked all the electrics were there for a second light, just no bulb and a blanking "plate" that needed knocking out

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes but his has 2 reversing lights to start with (FE 2019 model?) 2020 ‘4’ only has flipping 1, and it’s virtually useless.
Peter
oh sorry didn't realise that had changed from FE!

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Why not just put your music on your android device?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
648 Posts
The most annoying omission is a second USB data port so I could have a USB drive for music and Android Auto connected at the same time. My previous car had two USB ports, both usable for data.
You can buy a USB splitter cable for this. The port has plenty of power to handle two devices.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You are not understanding the problem, there is no such thing as a "splitter" for USB data, only hubs.

The car detects that there is no USB device DIRECTLY connected to the port and nothing works that is plugged into the in the hub.

Power output was not the issue.

I agree, stupid to only have one USB data port and/or refuse connections through a USB hub.

Greg

·
Registered
889 Posts
Do you not have a rear fog light instead? May not be in UK spec but would be in EU.
Yes, one of each reversing and red fog. 2019 had two of each AFAIK (as did every other car I owned for very many years)
Peter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts