Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So despite having an E-Niro on order that is (prior to the lockdown) due in June I'm deliberating changing it up for something else.
The Peugeot e-2008 has caught my eye and the VW ID.3 is also tempting...

Needs:
Use of the car is for commuting/shopping/days out generally but with a view of occasional (say a dozen a year?) long trips (200 - 300 miles) including to Pembrokshire where there doesn't seem to be much charging infrastructure yet)
Boot space and passenger space is a must as I frequently fill up my car with junk...
Ideally £35k or less (with a nice feature set rather than base model with a nice logo on the bonnet)

Key selling points/negatives as I see it (with WLTP ranges):
E-Niro '4' (282 miles):
  • Better range
  • Lots of space
  • Proven platform
  • Meh Infotainment and Instrument Cluster (no widescreen AA? Come on Kia...)
  • Most expensive with no PCP offers from Kia currently
e-2008 GT (or maybe GT Line with some extras) (206 miles):
  • Better lights (all LED)
  • Better cockpit layout (IMO) and Infotainment/Instrument Cluster (I like flashy graphics...)
  • Possibly a good PCP deal to be offered by Peugeot as the dealer I spoke to reckoned they could offer something
  • Faster DC charging (with the option for faster AC charging)
  • Range could cause frustration in the cold
  • Longer service intervals
ID.3 58KWh (261 miles)
  • Better Infotainment and Instrument Cluster
  • Unknown price/delivery/platform
  • Faster DC and AC charging
I had also considered a discounted or used Model 3 but I don't really think it's the car for me, particularly with the saloon boot so that's out of the list.
I'd also previously considered the Kona but the rear leg room is just meh.

Not sure if I'd go down the PCP or buy outright (with a suitable bank loan) route.
But then part of me is thinking a PCP with the option to swap later if something good comes up is a better choice?

Any thoughts? Comments?

Edit: Clarity of question and trimming points (thanks @mikegs)

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
You've listed the sales features for each but, aside from the salon boot, not really said what your actual needs and desires are.
For example: What is the main use of the car and what are the exceptional ones?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Given that elsewhere on this forum people testing the e-208 have struggled to get even 150 miles from it, I think the e-2008 will have very disappointing range and the 206 miles you quote is likely to be a pipe dream for this bigger car on the same platform. I recon the saloon design of the M3 can be worked around as it has a larger boot than it first appears, a roof load and tow bar option. Also a frunk, which the others lack.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've listed the sales features for each but, aside from the salon boot, not really said what your actual needs and desires are.
For example: What is the main use of the car and what are the exceptional ones?
Point well made Sir, I have attempted to clarify my wants/needs :)

Given that elsewhere on this forum people testing the e-208 have struggled to get even 150 miles from it, I think the e-2008 will have very disappointing range and the 206 miles you quote is likely to be a pipe dream for this bigger car on the same platform. I recon the saloon design of the M3 can be worked around as it has a larger boot than it first appears, a roof load and tow bar option. Also a frunk, which the others lack.
I had noticed the volume of the M3 boot is pretty significant but that saloon entry is just too small for my purposes, I frequently end up putting large items (bookcases, boxes etc.) in my boot and the previous saloon car (many years back) I owned just didn't work for me in that respect.
Plus adding the tow hitch and factoring in insurance cost of a M3 would push it seriously out of my price range!
You make a good point about e-208 range though.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,525 Posts
I had noticed the volume of the M3 boot is pretty significant but that saloon entry is just too small for my purposes, I frequently end up putting large items (bookcases, boxes etc.) in my boot and the previous saloon car (many years back) I owned just didn't work for me in that respect.
The Model 3 can tow. Much more useful for bulky items.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,525 Posts
True, except I don't own anything that can be towed so that's another cost I'd have to factor in.
Useful for a bike rack, if nothing else.

Frankly I don't know why you are considering spending the best part of £40k and then worrying about the odd £1k, when you can just hire a van for a day for £25 to carry your bookcases. ;)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Useful for a bike rack, if nothing else.

Frankly I don't know why you are considering spending the best part of £40k and then worrying about the odd £1k, when you can just hire a van for a day for £25 to carry your bookcases. ;)
Hah, good point.
I guess it's what does the individual consider an acceptable compromise to get the car they like best!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. e-Niro on order (due June, maybe!) and a reservation on an ID.3 1st (due summer(ish)).

Kia
Pros - proven tech, excellent range, decent boot size, front charging port
Cons - not the most interesting car to look at, no over-air software updates, max charge speed only 77kWh, have to reactivate auto hold each journey, no option for cloth seats

VW
Pros - decent looking car (IMHO), 100 kWh charging, over-air updates, cloth seats, better looking cabin (less cluttered)
Cons - unproven tech, smaller boot, rear/side charging port

I've also seen a suggestion that the VW might come with 2-zone climate control. That could be the clincher for me if it does! 😀

·
Registered
198 Posts
You stated that your budget is £35K maximum. That rules out the Tesla. ID3: nobody knows when the bugs will be sorted for its UK launch. The Pug isn't yet available, but soon will be. It's a toss-up: eminently practical longer range, possibly full spaciousness or cheaper style (over substance?).

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,715 Posts
That is 3 very different cars. All look capable of job you require so comes down to personal opinion.
My opinion if buying a brand new EV is I want the platform design built as an EV but saying that an SUV style car has enough room to fit single battery unit underneath so your shortlist is good. So best range for price then kicks in if you can narrow it down to two. Also unless you put deposit on VW unlikely to be available until next year. Looks like eniro or nothing for now.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in a similar situation. e-Niro on order (due June, maybe!) and a reservation on an ID.3 1st (due summer(ish)).

Kia
Cons - not the most interesting car to look at, no over-air software updates, max charge speed only 77kWh, have to reactivate auto hold each journey, no option for cloth seats

VW
Pros - decent looking car (IMHO), 100 kWh charging, over-air updates, cloth seats, better looking cabin (less cluttered)

I've also seen a suggestion that the VW might come with 2-zone climate control. That could be the clincher for me if it does! 😀
Have you been given a price for the 1st Edition? My big concern with the ID.3 at the moment is once you've added on the options for some nice extra features it could become pretty expensive if the base price is high anyway?
But yes it is a much nicer car to look at for sure!

Personally I would stick with the e-Niro. Great car for the money.
It does appear to strike a good balance in terms of practicality and cost, I just wish there was a little more style (sigh)

You stated that your budget is £35K maximum. That rules out the Tesla. ID3: nobody knows when the bugs will be sorted for its UK launch. The Pug isn't yet available, but soon will be. It's a toss-up: eminently practical longer range, possibly full spaciousness or cheaper style (over substance?).
Indeed, as I'd be a regular order for the ID.3, not a 1st edition I'm not likely to get the car for a long time. Maybe they'll have fixed the bugs by then?
It does seem to come down to range vs. style between the E-Niro and the E-2008 a little doesn't it!

That is 3 very different cars. All look capable of job you require so comes down to personal opinion.
My opinion if buying a brand new EV is I want the platform design built as an EV but saying that an SUV style car has enough room to fit single battery unit underneath so your shortlist is good. So best range for price then kicks in if you can narrow it down to two. Also unless you put deposit on VW unlikely to be available until next year. Looks like eniro or nothing for now.
Think you've probably hit the nail on the head, the E-2008 with sufficient toys to bring it up to E-Niro spec is very close price wise. And the E-Niro has a dramatically better range for that price tag that's been tested in varying conditions!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not in danger of an imminent purchase, but your comment about the boot on the Tesla M3 is pertinent. I looked at one in the showroom and although the boot is fairly cavernous, the small entry might make it impossible to fit a bike in the back with the seats down. That's certainly been a limitation for me in the past when I had the only saloon I've ever owned, a Peugeot 406. I know a tow-bar and cycle carrier to fit it might be a suitable workaround for this, but has anyone tried and succeeded (or failed) in putting a bike in the boot of an M3 without removing the wheels first? What sort of bike?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
A Model Y might fit the bill. And the way things are going it might be available before the ID3!

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
330 Posts
How about the MG5, it's an estate due out at the end of this year should have around 200 miles WLTP and a big boot. I'm guessing the interior specs will be similar to the ZS so the infotainment might be a little laggy but otherwise I thought the ZS interior was pretty good.

If your more keen on a SUV shape then the ZS is getting a bigger battery next year if you can wait that long.

·
Registered
993 Posts
So despite having an E-Niro on order that is (prior to the lockdown) due in June I'm deliberating changing it up for something else.
The Peugeot e-2008 has caught my eye and the VW ID.3 is also tempting...

Needs:
Use of the car is for commuting/shopping/days out generally but with a view of occasional (say a dozen a year?) long trips (200 - 300 miles) including to Pembrokshire where there doesn't seem to be much charging infrastructure yet)
Boot space and passenger space is a must as I frequently fill up my car with junk...
Ideally £35k or less (with a nice feature set rather than base model with a nice logo on the bonnet)

Key selling points/negatives as I see it (with WLTP ranges):
E-Niro '4' (282 miles):
  • Better range
  • Lots of space
  • Proven platform
  • Meh Infotainment and Instrument Cluster (no widescreen AA? Come on Kia...)
  • Most expensive with no PCP offers from Kia currently
e-2008 GT (or maybe GT Line with some extras) (206 miles):
  • Better cockpit layout (IMO) and Infotainment/Instrument Cluster (I like flashy graphics...)
  • Possibly a good PCP deal to be offered by Peugeot as the dealer I spoke to reckoned they could offer something
  • Faster DC charging (with the option for faster AC charging)
  • Range could cause frustration in the cold
  • Longer service intervals
ID.3 58KWh (261 miles)
  • Better Infotainment and Instrument Cluster
  • Unknown price/delivery/platform
  • Faster DC and AC charging
I had also considered a discounted or used Model 3 but I don't really think it's the car for me, particularly with the saloon boot so that's out of the list.
I'd also previously considered the Kona but the rear leg room is just meh.

Not sure if I'd go down the PCP or buy outright (with a suitable bank loan) route.
But then part of me is thinking a PCP with the option to swap later if something good comes up is a better choice?

Any thoughts? Comments?

Edit: Clarity of question and trimming points (thanks @mikegs)
E niro. Only had to read the title lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
993 Posts
Think I got 134 miles out of 208 in the car weekend test drive. No one believed me, took pictures etc every one made exkuses for the 208

·
Registered
993 Posts

Kia

VW

I've also seen a suggestion that the VW might come with 2-zone climate control. That could be the clincher for me if it does!
Could you please tell me how much the iD3 will cost ?

I have looked every where.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts