Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VW id Neo is beginning to look like quite an attractive proposition - if only, if only!

Both myself and the OH love our Golf GTE but do wish that it had a bit more space, both Niro and Neo will/should have that. On the whole, I think that I prefer the car style driving position rather than the SUV style (higher) but guess I could easily get used to that. The spec of the Niro is fine for me and the price is good but I do like some of the features, eg HUD, being suggested for the Neo. However, the spec of the Neo is unknown at the moment as is delivery date (even year!) and, to some extent, price. The Niro will satisfy my needs, will be available in April (I'm no 2 on my dealer's list) and enable me to part ex my GTE whilst it still has reasonable second hand value (will that still be the case when the Neo comes out?). I may, possibly, be more comfortable driving the Neo.

Mmmm - bird in the hand or birds in the bush?

No need to make a decision just yet but I do hope that we hear more details on the Neo very soon.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Similar position. I realise that Kia won't negotiate on price for the e-Niro but I wonder if they'll give a decent trade in on my 17 plate BMW 330e? I realise it may not be quite as much as a private sale, but it may make things easier than trying to time the sale and purchase.

I did wonder about the ID but I think it will be a 200 mile car costing £27,500...which is still good but I suspect that the e-Niro will be a better proposition without paying the 'brand premium' for the VW badge.

Reactions: Cantonalegod

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m having a similar dilemma deciding what to get when my GTE’s lease runs out.

Though mine is between the I.D. and Hyundai Kona (I don’t need the space, just the range).

I’ll wait until I can test drive both (not a fan of pre-ordering) and make my mind up then.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
They're talking about £22,500 for the 200 mile range version, probably nearer £30k for the 300 mile higher-spec version, so a bit cheaper than the e-Niro or Kona. I'm keeping my order in for the Kona (to be delivered in August :rolleyes:) on the grounds that I can cancel it at any time if the VW ID looks like a better bet. I've now discounted the e-Niro as being bigger and less well spec'd than the Kona Premium SE I have on order.

Reactions: Cantonalegod

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
More choice and competition is good. Hopefully it'll cause Hyundai/Kia to keep prices keen, and stimulate Nissan to produce an updated leaf, and maybe even Toyota will join the BEV party!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think we're all in that position. In 2 years time we will have far more options available. It's a conundrum, that's for sure.
Have you noticed that it is always..... in 2 years time. That's what I said two years ago :rolleyes: Do you think these two years will ever come or is is a 'moving annual total', so we will always be two years away?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you noticed that it is always..... in 2 years time. That's what I said two years ago :rolleyes: Do you think these two years will ever come or is is a 'moving annual total', so we will always be two years away?
Actually I think that, this time, the prediction is pretty accurate. Forgetting Tesla, who are an object lesson in how to manage EV rollout, until now there have been 2 overriding problems with EV take up. The first is range anxiety, justified whilst the typical range of an EV was about 100 miles or so and thus less than 'bladder range' and the second was the chaotic state of the charging network. With the advent of the Kona EV and e-Niro range is suddenly no longer a real issue and whilst the charging network is still not good it is improving all the time, particularly with the likes of Instavolt and Ionity building up a presence. So I think that we have now reached a tipping point where it is feasible for people other than (very) early adopters to go electric without worrying too much about whether what they are buying is inadequate and something that will be remedied in 'another' 2 years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it is the same problem that we have with Brexit. Everyone wants something different from the new car. Personally I wanted the Kia once I'd seen the first version in Korea. Then the spec changed and there was going to be no app with the first version. I haven't seen confirmation yet but one game changer is electric seats but no memory function. Having had a car like that I said never again. Still not keen on the Hyundai as the rear leg room and boot space is too small. The VW is now looking good but again there is bound to be something I don't like. In the end it is a compromise but I am hopeful that when I am ready to buy (end of 2019) there will be a reasonable range to choose from.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I think it is the same problem that we have with Brexit. Everyone wants something different from the new car. Personally I wanted the Kia once I'd seen the first version in Korea. Then the spec changed and there was going to be no app with the first version. I haven't seen confirmation yet but one game changer is electric seats but no memory function. Having had a car like that I said never again. Still not keen on the Hyundai as the rear leg room and boot space is too small. The VW is now looking good but again there is bound to be something I don't like. In the end it is a compromise but I am hopeful that when I am ready to buy (end of 2019) there will be a reasonable range to choose from.
Of the same view. Madness having electric seats without memory. It’s a total pain to switch drivers, takes forever to reset back again. Much better with manual adjustment. So wanted the e-Niro, but lack of colour choice and spec levels are making me hold off getting our first EV, probably another year! Did not want to go VAG route ever again as dieselgate has left a sour taste with our EA189 diesel.

Reactions: Diagnostic

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Perhaps a workable and economical EV and viable fusion energy will come along together...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Of the same view. Madness having electric seats without memory. It’s a total pain to switch drivers, takes forever to reset back again. Much better with manual adjustment. So wanted the e-Niro, but lack of colour choice and spec levels are making me hold off getting our first EV, probably another year! Did not want to go VAG route ever again as dieselgate has left a sour taste with our EA189 diesel.
I think we should all be boycotting VAG. If they'd spent half the time, money and effort they had in trying to manipulate the system (and then sudsequently covering it up), instead of developing EV's, they'd have already had a car to market.

Their behaviour has been criminally cynical.

But...a rwd electric golf GTi...dang, that could be good.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hmm... actually they've all been doing it for decades. My 1999 Subaru Impreza had a special emissions mode whereby it halved the turbo boost if it thought you were in the test! All of the major manufacturers have been caught doing it, or quietly remapped all affected cars. It was far cheaper than developing an electric car (by about five 0s at the end I would imagine) and the battery tech wasn't ready so that's a bit like the "£352 million to NHS instead of EU" arguments.
While I agree that it's appalling, all I'm saying is they all did it; VW were just unlucky to get caught first. If you boycott all of them, you'll have to buy a Tesla because that's the only manufacturer left ;)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The VW id Neo is beginning to look like quite an attractive proposition - if only, if only!

Both myself and the OH love our Golf GTE but do wish that it had a bit more space, both Niro and Neo will/should have that. On the whole, I think that I prefer the car style driving position rather than the SUV style (higher) but guess I could easily get used to that. The spec of the Niro is fine for me and the price is good but I do like some of the features, eg HUD, being suggested for the Neo. However, the spec of the Neo is unknown at the moment as is delivery date (even year!) and, to some extent, price. The Niro will satisfy my needs, will be available in April (I'm no 2 on my dealer's list) and enable me to part ex my GTE whilst it still has reasonable second hand value (will that still be the case when the Neo comes out?). I may, possibly, be more comfortable driving the Neo.

Mmmm - bird in the hand or birds in the bush?

No need to make a decision just yet but I do hope that we hear more details on the Neo very soon.
Been wondering if getting the e-Niro without all the mod cons is still a good plan or just keep waiting for something better. VW ID does look an interesting product, but as stated spec, cost, availability is totally unknown. Have been trawling the other options too, including just getting a used e-Golf as that would replace our old Focus with pretty much like for like sizewize and less outlay, but limited range. Having to give this whole EV switch far more time and energy than any previous vehicle purchase for sure! Maybe just get an e-Niro (if I even can) then switch in a years time or so, but then I wasn't planning on outright purchase for an EV as way too much is changing far too quickly to buy and keep for 10 years at the moment. Maybe there will be a full spec e-Niro later in 2019 with more colour options, so upgrade to that, but can't see any being made available if they only plan on 1000 cars for a whole year. If VW really do start manufacturing in large numbers then it may be a contender.

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Having to give this whole EV switch far more time and energy than any previous vehicle purchase for sure!
Buying a new vehicle is half the problem (the newest I ever bought was a demonstrator, thus it was simply a take it or leave it decision), because suddenly you want to have the full range of options available. If I was buying a one year old eNiro, I'd not be half as fussy!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I was under the impression that this was the same elsewhere too... I can't believe VW were the only ones where the board knew what was going on.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Buying a new vehicle is half the problem (the newest I ever bought was a demonstrator, thus it was simply a take it or leave it decision), because suddenly you want to have the full range of options available. If I was buying a one year old eNiro, I'd not be half as fussy!
I thought buying an EV made it easier, there are so few options.
With decent range it's Kona, Niro or Tesla.
Reasonable space to carry things, model X or Niro.
Reasonable cost, Niro.

Simple.

The only choice left is the colour

The ID doesn't even come into the equation for me. It's still in testing, who knows when it will actually be available, will they start off with limited numbers, what will the range be...
Once the eGolf needs upgrading then maybe I'll be looking at the ID, along with all the other cars that are coming out in 2 years time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts