Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you charged your e-Niro on a CCS rapid charger, 50kW or 100kW?
If so, please let us all know how it went, with much detail. :)

Ideally, record your charges here: Actual Charges

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the Demo car on a 50kW polar for 5 mins and was very straight forward. It was charging a 47kW. That's about all the detail I remember.
The rapids near me are mostly Ecotricity so I plan to test those first to see whether the e-Niro has the same problems with them as the Kona EV does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
John
1. Did you Use the polar rfid card?
2. What was state of charge when tested?
3. Did you notice if the Niro satvav was loaded with the latest charge locations and phone numbers?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John
1. Did you Use the polar rfid card?
2. What was state of charge when tested?
3. Did you notice if the Niro satvav was loaded with the latest charge locations and phone numbers?
I haven't been to a rapid yet because I collected the car yesterday afternoon with 80% charge and only managed to 'spend' 13% of it in 40.8 miles (4.8 miles per kWh). I will check on the Sat Nav and let you know.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The rapids near me are mostly Ecotricity so I plan to test those first to see whether the e-Niro has the same problems with them as the Kona EV does.
Try to arrive with 20-30% if your going to see if EH works. Over 70ish % they will maybe be fine. Frankly I can't see how it will work any different to the Kona on CCS EH Rapids to be honest. Long given up on EH now which is a shame given their convenient MSA locations but plenty of alternatives popping up.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Try to arrive with 20-30% if your going to see if EH works. Over 70ish % they will maybe be fine. Frankly I can't see how it will work any different to the Kona on CCS EH Rapids to be honest. Long given up on EH now which is a shame given their convenient MSA locations but plenty of alternatives popping up.
Less than 60% is where the issue is isn't it?
There is an EH charger not too far from me that I'm going to try over the weekend if I can.
Now I have polar plus I head straight for those, haven't had any issues yet and they are the cheapest option now I've got the subscription. If I hardly use it now I have a battery twice the size I might cancel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They do. At the end of my test drive I took it to a local Lidl's where they have a PodPoint Rapid. Started off at around 45/47 (same as @Woodulike ) then as it neared 75kW charge, it dropped to around 24/25kW from what I can remember.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I haven't been to a rapid yet because I collected the car yesterday afternoon with 80% charge and only managed to 'spend' 13% of it in 40.8 miles (4.8 miles per kWh). I will check on the Sat Nav and let you know.
Nice to see they charged to 80%. Apparently mine was put on the charger as soon as it came off the transporter on Tuesday afternoon so its probably been sitting at 100% charge since then. I wasn't impressed as I intent to only charge to 80% most of the time and fully charge for longer trips.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to see they charged to 80%. Apparently mine was put on the charger as soon as it came off the transporter on Tuesday afternoon so its probably been sitting at 100% charge since then. I wasn't impressed as I intent to only charge to 80% most of the time and fully charge for longer trips.
Yes,that is annoying. When my dealer told me that it was expected I sent them instructions on how to set the maximum charge.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Yes,that is annoying. When my dealer told me that it was expected I sent them instructions on how to set the maximum charge.
I should have done the same. I mentioned I didn't want it charged but didn't give explicit inductions, and never expected them to plug it in as soon as it arrived and expected an email as soon as it arrived.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sitting at an EH charger on free vend at the moment charging at 42kW. I started at 54% and its charging happily.
So unlike the Kona, the e-Niro might actually respect the CCS standards :eek:(y)

Obviously more testing required, but promising. I mean, EH are fecking useless most of the time, but I do feel like they have shouldered an unfair proportion of the blame with the CCS issues, compared to the vehicle manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
So unlike the Kona, the e-Niro might actually respect the CCS standards :eek:(y)
I wouldn't say that yet, there are some that work with the Kona so it may just happen to be the one nearest to me is one that works. I drove round a bit more and went back to it at 39% and it still started and charged for 20 mins without a problem. It started at 41kW this time and creeped to to 43 until about 78% when it dropped to 34 for a few minutes and then down to 24kW by the time it got to 80%.
Then I unplugged.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't say that yet, there are some that work with the Kona so it may just happen to be the one nearest to me is one that works. I drove round a bit more and went back to it at 39% and it still started and charged for 20 mins without a problem. It started at 41kW this time and creeped to to 43 until about 78% when it dropped to 34 for a few minutes and then down to 24kW by the time it got to 80%.
Then I unplugged.
That is useful research. Thank you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday I set out to test e-Niro rapid charging, hoping to get a good sample of networks and charger types. It didn't work out that way. Here are my brief notes on the results:
  1. Alfa Power, Bristol Street, Leeds. High speed rapid capable of 110 kW at present but will be gradually ramped up to 175 kW. When I arrived, two engineers from Alfa Power were working on the charger with a Jaguar i-Pace in attendance for testing purposes. They had swapped several boards in the charger without success. They then asked me to connect the e-Niro for testing and it worked immediately. The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 55% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 56 kW after two minutes.
  2. Alfa Power, Victoria Filling Station LS27 0LF: The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 62% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 39 kW.
  3. Alfa Power HQ, Quarry Court, Morley, Leeds LS27 0BY: The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 63% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 56 kW.
  4. Alfa Power, Crown Service Station, Wakefield Rd, Brighouse HD6 1QH: The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 63% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 43 kW.
  5. Alfa Power, Lockwood Road, HD1 3TG: Charger would not start and the helpline could not start it remotely.
  6. Woodall Service Area, M1 southbound Ecotricity Electric Highway charger: The temperature was 19 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 50% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 40 kW but the charge stopped after two minutes with an error.
  7. Instavolt charger at Bannatyne Health Club and Spa, Briar Ln, Mansfield NG18 3HS: The number two charger would not start (error 63). The number one charger worked. The temperature was 19 degrees Celsius, the battery state of charge was 43% at the start and the power delivered peaked at 43 kW.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My ABL 7.4 kW home charger failed last night so today, starting with 37% state of charge and a 125 mile round trip to do I called at two Polar rapids near home. I could not start either because the Polar Instant app (Android) would not let me log in. I called the help desk from the second rapid and they started the charge remotely for me. They also asked me to try logging in to the Polar Instant website at POLAR instant but that was down too. It looks like it is back up now.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Great research!
So the EH charger doesn't work, just like with the Kona.

What frustrates me is that Kia have had review models in the UK for roughly six months, did they not think to carry out extensive testing with the various charging networks??!! Or did they, and the charger companies have slow in fixing compatibility? Or Kia didn't fix issues? These issues are fundamental to people's satisfaction with charging their car at public chargers!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Ah, you know that range anxiety is a thing of the past when you are complaining that you can’t get rid of electricity fast enough ;)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
My ABL 7.4 kW home charger failed last night so today, starting with 37% state of charge and a 125 mile round trip to do I called at two Polar rapids near home. I could not start either because the Polar Instant app (Android) would not let me log in. I called the help desk from the second rapid and they started the charge remotely for me. They also asked me to try logging in to the Polar Instant website at POLAR instant but that was down too. It looks like it is back up now.
WHat happened to your home charger? Very frustrating when that fails when you need it.
We don't have anything faster than 50kW near us so no chance of getting above 47/8kW on a test. I don't have any long trips planned so I don't see the need for a rapid charge for a while.
Polar is nearly useless unless you subscribe to Polar Plus. I have a subscription at the moment but unless I start doing longer trips soon I don't think I will be keeping it as I don't think I will need it with the Niro.
It is a mostly reliable network but needs using at least twice a month to be worth while paying the subscription.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts