Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
New to this thread, from a quick skim it seems the Kona and the eNiro might have problems with the Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers? Thats a shame cos the EH ones are in the best spots (on the motorway).

Is that an accurate summary? Has there been any official recognition of this?
That is an accurate summary but ... official recognition - are you kidding!

However, cracks are beginning to appear in the EH monopoly. Ionity have already done a deal with Extra to put chargers in some motorway locations and seem to have got around the monopoly at Maidstone and, I think, Milton Keynes.

We can but hope (and use off-route alternatives for the time being).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has the problem of the e-Niro charging on Electric Highway chargers been resolved? I notice that the "Actual Charges" sheet hasn't been updated in a long time.

I'll be crossing from Pembroke Dock to London on the M4 next week and would like to plan my route. Do I plan to use the Electric Highway chargers or to avoid them, and find chargers off the main line?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Has the problem of the e-Niro charging on Electric Highway chargers been resolved? I notice that the "Actual Charges" sheet hasn't been updated in a long time.

I'll be crossing from Pembroke Dock to London on the M4 next week and would like to plan my route. Do I plan to use the Electric Highway chargers or to avoid them, and find chargers off the main line?

Thanks for any input.
I have never had any issues on EH
Although if you can find polars & have polar plus they are significantly cheaper

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never had any issues on EH
Although if you can find polars & have polar plus they are significantly cheaper

I visit the UK regularly (from Ireland), but not enough to justify Polar Plus membership, so I'm stuck on Polar Instant. This only became an option with a recent upgrade of the Polar Instant app. Before the upgrade, I couldn't download the app on a non UK phone. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet. :oops:

·
Registered
624 Posts

Thanks for any input.
I'd be interested to know how you get on as I'll need to do the reverse journey sometime fairly soon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I visit the UK regularly (from Ireland), but not enough to justify Polar Plus membership, so I'm stuck on Polar Instant. This only became an option with a recent upgrade of the Polar Instant app. Before the upgrade, I couldn't download the app on a non UK phone. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet. :oops:
Yeah I'm in Scotland,
I only ever need polar when I'm in England.

Get the free trial
Then when you need it get a one month subscription.

1 charge on polar and a months subscription is more or less the same as 1 EH charge.
So if you charge more than once it's paid for itself

·
Registered
220 Posts

Thanks for any input.
The problem is more about CCS reliability with Ecotricity than a specific e-Niro problem. EH CCS reliability has got a lot worse in the past 3 years. I used to travel the M4 a lot from London - Membury (East and West) were pretty unreliable, Chieveley and Reading were usually pretty good. Check Plugshare.com and Zap-Map for up to date info. Always have a backup plan with EH. Never get to one with such a low state of charge that you can't get to your 2nd choice.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It looks as though someone has been messing with the Actual Charges spreadsheet as it is now only showing Ecotrcity chargers - Dale Vince, I suspect you!

Seriously, though, it looks as though someone filtered out all bar EH chargers on 20th Sept. Last full version was 7th Sept. It is easy enough to revert to the earlier revision but there may have been a reason for the filtering so have left it.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
It looks as though someone has been messing with the Actual Charges spreadsheet as it is now only showing Ecotrcity chargers - Dale Vince, I suspect you!

Seriously, though, it looks as though someone filtered out all bar EH chargers on 20th Sept. Last full version was 7th Sept. It is easy enough to revert to the earlier revision but there may have been a reason for the filtering so have left it.
How did you get on with your first rapid charge? DId you chance the Electric Highway?

·
Registered
185 Posts

I just checked this link and it is showing many different suppliers with the last entry being 22nd September 2019

·
Registered
624 Posts
How did you get on with your first rapid charge? DId you chance the Electric Highway?
Seriously good, both going to and coming back from the Dales. Just the single stop each way (maybe not needed for the car but definitely needed for us) at the Instavolts at Bannatyne Worksop. Dead easy to initiate charging and then a relaxed coffee and snack in a far more congenial place than an MSA. Checked the Chargepoint app to see when charging had finished, moved the car and finished my coffee. The car itself was/is brilliant and pretty much drove itself on the motorway. Set SCC to 75mph at the start of the journey and 230 miles and just over 4 hours (driving) later was getting 4mi/kWh. Coming back was much the same but appalling weather and heavy traffic.

EH is dead as far as I'm concerned.

We're Bannatyne members so next time I'm going up north I'm taking my swimming trunks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
The car itself was/is brilliant and pretty much drove itself on the motorway. Set SCC to 75mph at the start of the journey and 230 miles and just over 4 hours (driving) later was getting 4mi/kWh. Coming back was much the same but appalling weather and heavy traffic.
That's impressive! Really looking forward to getting mine this next week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd be interested to know how you get on as I'll need to do the reverse journey sometime fairly soon.
The chargers were marked as faulty in Membury and Chievely services, so I charged successfully at Reading East.

I do this trip regularly and it was great to do it with 1 charge, while we were eating. The Ioniq took 3 charges to do the same run.

Heading back that way tonight for a severely delayed ferry crossing... thanks to Lorenzo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After some initial problems with public chargers I now seem to have got the hang of it and am now pretty comfortable locally and on long trips.

Locally I tend to combine my charging with a dog walk and shopping at the ultra reliable Instavolt units at Booths, Ilkley but they do cost 35p/kWh. I sometimes used to go out of my way to shop at the ultra unreliable PodPoint at Lidl, Bingley because it was free but from 1 October Lidl are charging 23p/kWh so I wont be going there again. However the new Engie charger at Shipley is free and very close to Aldi so I use that quite a bit now on my way home from work in Bradford. Bradford is currently rolling out free Engie fast chargers across the district.

On longer trips I almost always go to Scotland where there are loads of fast chargers on the Chargeplus network that are free. My parents small village in Arisaig also has a slower (22kW) DC charger an several 7kW chargers.

Zap-Map is what I use to check what's available.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts