Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Newbie here - just picked up my e-Niro yesterday (deposit paid 12 December).

I went for a trial charge at the Scotch Corner rapid (EH). The connection failed several times after just a couple of minutes. At first I thought it was my ignorance that was responsible, but after reading this thread it looks as though there’s a systematic issue. Has anyone managed to establish whether it’s Kia or Ecotricity who is at fault?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #142

I went for a trial charge at the Scotch Corner rapid (EH). The connection failed several times after just a couple of minutes. At first I thought it was my ignorance that was responsible, but after reading this thread it looks as though there’s a systematic issue. Has anyone managed to establish whether it’s Kia or Ecotricity who is at fault?
Welcome to the fold and please add your experience to the spreadsheet: Actual Charges

·
Registered
89 Posts

What was you order number BTW, for those of us still waiting it'll give us an idea of where they are in the list? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
What was you order number BTW, for those of us still waiting it'll give us an idea of where they are in the list? Thanks

Sorry, I don't know, unless it's 169204 (which is the number on the Kia 'Vehicle Sales Order' form.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd be interested in more detail on this, is there somewhere that explains how to set it up with an EV? Or would you care to elaborate?

Details of the autopi device can be found here AutoPi - IoT platform for your car, built on the Raspberry Pi, and the link I already shared Receive charging alerts on your phone ( and smart watch ) contains the custom work.

The custom script itself for autopi is in github here plord12/autopi-tools

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

Hi, and congrats on the new car. We're you a first place order or are the second place orders starting to come through?
The issue with EH is their old chargers not being able to cope with the Hyundai/Kia charging. There has been plenty of discussion about it on the forum but I haven't read anything that puts the blame in either camp.
I think I've read that hyundai have worked with EH, as have bmw for the i3, but many of them still don't work for either cars. Most of us avoid them, although I do stop at an occasional one just to see if it will work and the two closest to me do.
With the larger battery is very easy to avoid certain chargers. If you have Polar chargers near you and are going to need a charge more than once a month then signing up to Polar Plus is worth the monthly fee, unless you live in Scotland and most chargers are free anyway from what I've read on here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, and congrats on the new car. We're you a first place order or are the second place orders starting to come through?
When I ordered, in December, I was told that mine was the first order - but come March I was advised that I was actually the second. I ranted and stamped my feet, and I think that may have ensured that I got the car only a month behind the original due date. Anyway, short answer: second.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I don't have off-road charging at home, so the Scotch Corner rapids were due to be my default chargers. Bah! I hope Ecotricity and Kia can resolve this between them.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I hope Ecotricity and Kia can resolve this between them.
I wouldn't hold your breath, EH are completely useless and very unlikely to sort anything. I would start looking for other options.
You're a brave man getting a BEV without home charging. I hope you find other options. Polar Plus would definitely be worth looking at if they have chargers near you if all of your charging is on public chargers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have off-road charging at home, so the Scotch Corner rapids were due to be my default chargers.
I didn't have home charging either initially - I was going to see how it went. It's certainly achievable with the range of the car. Can I ask do you live in a flat or a terraced house?

I live in a terraced house and have installed a 7kw charger at the back of the house - we have an alley with room for cars to get through easily. So we park up once or twice a week and put 60 miles in or so (2 hours) outside of any inconvenient times for the neighbours wanting to get their cars through. It works really well and to be honest there isn't really any traffic through the back alley anyway. Wouldn't selfishly leave the car there for hours on end to charge though. We didn't get any discount from the government for the charger though - paid full price.

Balance this topping up with chargers when you are out and about and it's a breeze!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a charger at home but seldom use it. With free vend still a thing I’d rather take advantage of that and destination charge or top up on CCS for free when I need to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We live in a bit of a black spot for public chargers of any kind, never mind free ones! Local supermarket installed some instavolt rapid chargers back in March - still not activated them. Local council promised they were putting some in early this year - still nothing. So we didn't think there would be a problem when we were due to pick the car up in April.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I did, although not until after I shared the link, sorry

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)
It was interesting to see how many people are complaining and that the tweet is just before fully charged live. Maybe there will be some tough questions for him to answer then.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It was interesting to see how many people are complaining and that the tweet is just before fully charged live. Maybe there will be some tough questions for him to answer then.
Hopefully we’ll be allowed to ask the difficult questions and not get shut down by the team due to Ecotricity being the main sponsor of the event!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Hopefully we’ll be allowed to ask the difficult questions and not get shut down by the team due to Ecotricity being the main sponsor of the event!
I expect it will be the same as last year, unless there's enough people making a fuss about. I think it's rather strange that they sponsor the show, they obviously don't care about the charging network very much.

141 - 160 of 197 Posts