Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did some more local charger tests and added to Actual Charges

So far :

Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 17.25.03.png

Only a small sample, but to me its looking like the weak link is the old DBT chargers - many are simply not working but some seem to be still need the fix from last year. So nothing new really !

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't have home charging either initially - I was going to see how it went. It's certainly achievable with the range of the car. Can I ask do you live in a flat or a terraced house?
Terraced, and the back is a steep escarpment, so no alley access, unfortunately.

I deliberately put off buying an EV until the range was good enough that a return trip to a public rapid charger would only knock a small %age off the range. With the Niro, and with the Scotch Corner chargers being just four miles away, I thought that moment had come. I even changed my electricity supplier from Good Energy to Ecotricity to get the full benefit of the EH network. Well, that didn't work too well... So now it'll be the lovely Darlington Instavolt until EH sort themselves out.

For occasional home charging I do plan to run a properly sleeved cable across the narrow pavement in front of my house. From what I understand, there's no regulation that actually prohibits this, though I could be sued in the event of an accident. I'll take a chance on that. (Ducks and runs...)

·
Registered
89 Posts
For occasional home charging I do plan to run a properly sleeved cable across the narrow pavement in front of my house. (Ducks and runs...)
Have you thought about getting something like this for the path?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GWJXZ8Y/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07GWJXZ8Y&pd_rd_w=piqGA&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=IapCl&pf_rd_r=M7ETZ2ZA392S3FTQZ94X&pd_rd_r=09dfc1c3-845b-11e9-8485-0974c0711c2f

You'd be surprised how little you actually need to charge it. You can just spread it out through the week - that's what I do. So I average 150 miles per week - which is 5 hours total over 7 days. The 7kw chargers put 30 miles into the e-niro every hour. Our car is usually topped up somewhere between 150-200 miles every day during the week and up to full by the weekend.

I've attached some photos of my charging this week, might be of interest to you. I've detailed one of them to show you timings - 1 hour 18 minutes is about 40 miles for £1.25!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Just for the record, I never claimed to have started the spreadsheet, I just informed people about it to spread the use of it :)

If you want to look for chargers, use www.zap-map.com or their App. Filter by CCS to find rapid chargers. Ignore anything from Ecotricity, everything else seems to work pretty well (see spreadsheet). And good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is an app called smoov that they use for payment.

Also has the standard map.

Got an account set up as a backup but they ain't cheap

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got double lucky today - two successful charges at Ecotricity, both at Michaelwood Services on the M5. One on the Northbound carriageway and then again on the homeward trip on the Southbound carriageway :eek::)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I got double lucky today - two successful charges at Ecotricity, both at Michaelwood Services on the M5. One on the Northbound carriageway and then again on the homeward trip on the Southbound carriageway :eek::)
I'm interested in this because clearly Ecotricity do not fail all of the time and so I wonder whether it is a certain set of factors that cause it to fail (or succeed). If so, most likely these factors would be the remaining SOC, the temperature of the battery (based on length and speed of driving) and possibly weather/temperature.

@Devon Dumpling do you recall how much charge remained at the point that you started charging and how long did you charge for?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I set off with 100% charge and as the service station is around 110 miles away, I would estimate that there would have been around 60 to 65% of charge remaining. According to my EH receipt, I put in 10kWh of charge (I charged for just 20 mins according to the receipt).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
CCS fails on EH for me when I am at low SoC

·
Registered
624 Posts
CCS fails on EH for me when I am at low SoC
CCS protocols are a bit beyond my pay grade (even with the help of google) but I'm wondering whether there is some sort of communication between car and charger whereby the car is telling the charger what it can pull and this is higher at lower SoC and hence more than a geriatric DBT charger can manage. It would be interesting to know whether there is any sort of pattern between failures and SoC when charging was started.

The problem is that it is a real bummer having to deviate from your main route on a long journey just to get a reliable charge when there are chargers exactly on the route that we should be able to use. Ecotricity (n)!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
CCS protocols are a bit beyond my pay grade (even with the help of google) but I'm wondering whether there is some sort of communication between car and charger whereby the car is telling the charger what it can pull and this is higher at lower SoC and hence more than a geriatric DBT charger can manage. It would be interesting to know whether there is any sort of pattern between failures and SoC when charging was started.

The problem is that it is a real bummer having to deviate from your main route on a long journey just to get a reliable charge when there are chargers exactly on the route that we should be able to use. Ecotricity (n)!
@dougconran You may remember earlier that I mentioned I had problems with my ABL home charger tripping off its circuit breaker; well that problem got worse to the extent that any attempted charge would immediately trip it out. So I told the car to charge at reduced rate on A.C. and that reduced the trip-outs but did not eliminate them so I then told the car to charge on A.C. at the minimum rate and since then it has not tripped out. By the way, the maximum rate is 7.2 kW, the reduced rate is 6.5 kW and the minimum rate is 4.5 kW. The Phoenix engineer is due here on Thursday morning to solve the problem, hopefully.

·
Registered
290 Posts
On several of the Scottish E-Volt CCS systems I found that I had to wiggle the plug leaning slightly upwards into the socket on the car to get it started. It took me 2-3 attempts the first time this happened to stumble onto the notion and the next time at a similar SOC the same thing happened and at the same charger in Lerwick I was able to get it going second attempt instead of 3 or 4 the first time.

It might be completely coincidental but I also noticed that one of the pins in the e-Niro’s AC socket is slightly shorter than the rest, likely to facilitate earth before active or neutral connection to the car, but if the repeatedly battered and abused CCS plug’s terminal isn’t making contact, that might be causing the protocol error.

The pin in question is the top right in this photo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
@dougconran You may remember earlier that I mentioned I had problems with my ABL home charger tripping off its circuit breaker; well that problem got worse to the extent that any attempted charge would immediately trip it out. So I told the car to charge at reduced rate on A.C. and that reduced the trip-outs but did not eliminate them so I then told the car to charge on A.C. at the minimum rate and since then it has not tripped out. By the way, the maximum rate is 7.2 kW, the reduced rate is 6.5 kW and the minimum rate is 4.5 kW. The Phoenix engineer is due here on Thursday morning to solve the problem, hopefully.
Phoenix arrived on time and after some deliberation replaced the circuit breaker in the electrical cupboard (not the one in the ABL charger). Since then there have been no more problems. Phoenix have been faultless in this entire process and the repair to a 2.3 year old installation was free of charge. I would recommend anyone to use Phoenix.

·
Registered
150 Posts
New to this thread, from a quick skim it seems the Kona and the eNiro might have problems with the Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers? Thats a shame cos the EH ones are in the best spots (on the motorway).

Is that an accurate summary? Has there been any official recognition of this?

161 - 180 of 197 Posts