Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The navigation system manual mentions an SD card slot (page 4) but I can find no other reference to it in any of the manuals.
Does anyone know its function? Maps? Audio?
What specification of card does it accept?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It has a KIA labelled 32Gb standard SD card with 'Eur' on it. I presume it's the European maps for the on board navigation system. The card is locked and I haven't come across any way to access it. KIA can maybe use it for software updates as well.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Each SD card has a unique fixed card id which can be used to lock the contents to that card.

Nissan use this to prevent people copying maps, the map files are keyed to the card id. I'd expect Kia and Hyundai to do the same.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, that opens the questions about map updates and does it have ev charging points and how are they updated. Which would need to be done often, as new charge points are cropping up all the time.
In 'Settings' - 'System Info' there is an 'Update' option. If you hit that it asks for the files on a USB stick.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I wondered about the map updates and was told it's £25 to update the maps, strange thing is the dealer gets it from KIA UK free it's the dealer that charges £25 :S

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I wondered about the map updates and was told it's £25 to update the maps, strange thing is the dealer gets it from KIA UK free it's the dealer that charges £25 :S
I think you need a better dealer, one who'll do the updates for free when you visit for a service.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
@Paul M It wasn't a dealer that told me this, was enquiring as saw free updates for 7 years of the maps but wanted to check so contacted KIA UK who told me the above information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My e-Niro SatNav is out of date too. The dealer told me to contact Kia UK which I did who told me to contact the dealer - Mickey Mouse Great Britain !!

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I asked the dealer, in regards to a e niro he said, they all come from TomTom, usually every 6 months or so, comes on a sd card, he thought it was £25 a go for the update. Reading this thread will be asking kia what the crack is, in hope of getting it foc.

·
Tesla Model S
71 Posts
When I asked the dealer, in regards to a e niro he said, they all come from TomTom, usually every 6 months or so, comes on a sd card, he thought it was £25 a go for the update. Reading this thread will be asking kia what the crack is, in hope of getting it foc.
Report the dealer to Kia
In-car entertainment has never been more important, and that’s why the e-Niro is fitted with a DAB radio and 8.0-inch touchscreen satellite navigation system with European mapping and Traffic Messaging Channel (TMC). In addition, Kia Connected Services includes TomTom® Live that incorporates traffic, speed cameras, local search and weather updates.
Kia Connected Services is free for seven years from the day the car is bought.

·
Tesla Model S
71 Posts
thats what I read but Kia UK said no the dealer will charge £25
Would you please publish the email here?

I'd like to say I don't believe it, but it doesn't now surprise me with Kia/Hyundai group.
Could it be you just happened to contact a numpty?
I'll keep all my communication in email, and if they try to charge me for the free updates I'll give them a staff time expense far greater than the £25 responding to me.
A published statement from Kia "Kia Connected Services is free for seven years from the day the car is bought" is why I pay my annual legal cover and use it! It helped when I had safety issues with my Kona EV and had to reject it.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Thanks for your email.

I can confirm that the website you are viewing is for Kia Motors Europe, not Kia Motors UK.

Whilst the mapping information is supplied to our UK dealers free of charge, the dealers will independently charge a fee to cover their labour time to carry out the update. This information is also stated on the website you viewed on Kia Motors Europe.

If there’s anything else I can help with, please feel free to email back or call on 0333 2022990.

Kind regards

Scott Connelly
Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

I'm sure I'd read £25 for the maps somewhere not that email hmmm

·
Tesla Model S
71 Posts
Thanks for your email.

I can confirm that the website you are viewing is for Kia Motors Europe, not Kia Motors UK.

Whilst the mapping information is supplied to our UK dealers free of charge, the dealers will independently charge a fee to cover their labour time to carry out the update. This information is also stated on the website you viewed on Kia Motors Europe.

If there’s anything else I can help with, please feel free to email back or call on 0333 2022990.

Kind regards

Scott Connelly
Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

I'm sure I'd read £25 for the maps somewhere not that email hmmm
Thank you for sharing that, keep comms to email. I've looked at the source and it isn't qualified with a footnote or citation to reflect a dealer charge may apply. And lets be realistic any dealer effort on update should be covered in the ridiculously frequent service interval imposed on these EVs. I'll certainly be taking that further, advertising standards in the first instance.

·
Tesla Model S
71 Posts
Thank you for sharing that, keep comms to email. I've looked at the source and it isn't qualified with a footnote or citation to reflect a dealer charge may apply. And lets be realistic any dealer effort on update should be covered in the ridiculously frequent service interval imposed on these EVs. I'll certainly be taking that further, advertising standards in the first instance.
ASA states - A product must not be described as “free” if the consumer has to pay anything other than the unavoidable cost of responding and collecting or paying for its delivery.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ASA states - A product must not be described as “free” if the consumer has to pay anything other than the unavoidable cost of responding and collecting or paying for its delivery.
They could always make the upgrade downloadable from the MyKia web site as you have to be a registered Kia owner to be able to join - this would prevent anybody else having access to it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Report the dealer to Kia
In-car entertainment has never been more important, and that’s why the e-Niro is fitted with a DAB radio and 8.0-inch touchscreen satellite navigation system with European mapping and Traffic Messaging Channel (TMC). In addition, Kia Connected Services includes TomTom® Live that incorporates traffic, speed cameras, local search and weather updates.
Kia Connected Services is free for seven years from the day the car is bought.
This might be something of a semantic difference only but are you sure that European Mapping, which is presumably stored on the SD card, is, in fact, part of Kia Connected Services which in my view could easily be taken to mean only such services/information accessed through the internet?

·
Registered
358 Posts
My dealer also told me it's £25 for an update.
They are generally every 6 months to a year, I have the latest map but there's one due soon.

Spotted this morning (1st tone I've paid attention) that the Queensferry crossing is not on it. That puts the map at least 2 years out of date.

Which also explains the patchy list of charging stations.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts