Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
This manual appears to be much more detailed and better than the Swedish/EU manual.

For those who are getting their e-Niro soon, best to inform the dealer to limit the charge to 80%. Some dealers in their enthusiasm to give you a "full tank" at delivery may charge to 100%.

Quote from the manual....

"AC charge is recommended to keep the high voltage battery in optimal condition. If the HV battery is only charged to 80%, and you minimize the number of HV battery charging, you can keep the HV battery performance in optimal condition. (vs charging the HV battery to 100% an/or charging every drive cycle.)"

·
Registered
60 Posts
The problem is that they don't tell you how much difference it makes. It may be good advice, or it may be in principle correct but quantitatively nonsense, like the part of ICE golf manual advising to only fill up half of the petrol tank to save weight (and thus fuel).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
They don't, true, but on the Leaf which uses most of the battery, owners see a steady degradation over time. The Ampera uses 80% and no-one I've ever spoken to has seen any degradation over time, even 6-7 years. I'll be setting my Kona's charge limit to 80% unless I'm going on a long journey.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't, true, but on the Leaf which uses most of the battery, owners see a steady degradation over time. The Ampera uses 80% and no-one I've ever spoken to has seen any degradation over time, even 6-7 years. I'll be setting my Kona's charge limit to 80% unless I'm going on a long journey.
You can set different limits for DC charging and AC charging. I think that it is continually rapid charging to 100% that is so bad for the batteries and so I guess the thing to do is to set DC limit to 80% and AC to 80%, except when going on a long journey (is that what you meant? :unsure:)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't know if there's a different limit for the different charging methods; rapid charging is just plain bad for batteries, and using them below about 20% and above about 80% similarly decreases their lifespan. I'll be sticking to 80% max (irrespective of charging type) unless I'm about to head out on a long run where I know I'll need to charge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, when I eventually get my e-Niro, I will be charging overnight for 7 hours and will figure out the 'from' and 'to' percentages which the 7 hours of AC charging will take the SOC between. That is, 100-'to'% = 'from'%, say 25% to 75%, or whatever I discern from experience. However, if I am planning a long journey, I will charge to 100%. I have done this with my 30 kWh Leaf and have only lost 2.5% SOH over 3 years.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Didn't even know you can set a charge limit. I need someone to write a dummies guide to ev's, with all these gems in it. ??
I think you'll find it's called "the manual" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I always follow the manual religiously however the salesman didn't tell me about Paragraph 10 on page 53 of the UK Manual. I am finding it very hard to get moving in the morning.....
That's a classic. Don't tell Kia. I want a handbook that includes instructions for morning ablutions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can anyone post a photo of cover of the UK e-Niro manual?
I was given a Niro hybrid/plug-in hybrid manual. On enquiry I was told that the e-Niro manual has not been received. I find that hard to believe.
Can anyone help with some information?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was given a Niro hybrid/plug-in hybrid manual. On enquiry I was told that the e-Niro manual has not been received. I find that hard to believe.
IMG_20190503_173635317.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got my manual a week before I got the car.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
So now I hope there is a car somewhere with my name on it, I thought I better start doing what I’m always telling everyone else to do and RTFM.

I know it’s US so bear with me but what does this section mean?

“When the light switch is in the AUTO light position, the taillights and headlights will turn ON or OFF auto- matically depending on the amount of light outside the vehicle.
When the light switch is positioned at an auto light position, at first, the wiper will turn on and then, after 5 seconds the head lamp will turn on automatically.

If the head lamp has been turned on due to this function of the vehicle, the head lamp will turn off 60 sec- onds after the wiper has been turned off.“

What wipers is this referring to and has the car got auto wipers in uk cos the US manual doesn’t seem to mention them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts