Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a bit of a quandary, have an e-niro ‘3’ on order via lease not due until the end of Feb 1k down £285 p/m 5k p/a 2 years, took the plunge as the ID3 deals were no where near in terms of cost.

Local vw dealer offering to match the £25,950 life car wow deals on a stock car for end of month delivery, bog standard, the wheels irritate me as the alloys make the car look much better for me, but I can always change them.
PCP comes in at £323 48 months 1k down 5k p/a which is much closer...
Excess milage is about half on the VW vs the Lease

The one comparison review I’ve seen (Dutch with subtitles) states the ID3 is the better drive but the interior is cheap and infotainment buggy/laggy as the main downsides and overall they’d still take the e-Niro for now.

Id3 is much more interesting/unique in terms of dedicated ev platform,e-Niro more proven, slightly worried I’ll spend more time at vw garages!

Interested in opinions!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
320 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are reported to be some good deals on the ID3 1st now - not as cheap as the ID3 Life, but would get you alloys and some other extra kit.

Software should improve, but no guarantees

Personally I would choose the car that drives better, but I woul test drive both rather than rely on a review

·
Registered
66 Posts
@Seadoo180 If you have a read of the thread I started (linked by @Xinix above) you'll see my thoughts.

Without repeating all that I wrote there, for me it really come down to the basics of not finding the seats in the e-Niro very comfortable and that with the Tour, for not that much more (compared to a 4+), I could get extra range (quite how much remains to be seen), as well as better peak charging speeds and a better charging curve, plus a few extra toys. What I'd loose is a seat in the back, a panoramic sunroof and a bit of boot space - neither of which are big issues for me. I also slightly preferred the way the ID3 drives. It does have cheaper plastics inside, which is a shame because it does let it down.

If I were deciding between a 59Kwh ID3 and an e-Niro (and found the e-Niro seats OK) I think I'd go towards an e-Niro for it's extra range.

It is definitely a bit more of a risk going for a whole new platform, and I'm glad I haven't been one of the '1st movers'! The early reports about some of the bug fixes - before the big software update - seem to be fairly positive, so hopefully things are heading in the right direction. There is also the flip side of being a new platform - a bit more exciting, and I do like the idea of a an EV that was designed to be one from the ground up. (That side the e-Niro doesn't have too many compromises.)

I'm still bit tempted by an e-Niro because, as you say, it's something of a known quantity, but then I just think I'd be more comfortable in the ID3. I even went back for a second test drive of the e-Niro just before the current lockdown, I felt a bit more comfortable in it, but still think the seats too hard for my liking.

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
2,137 Posts
In a bit of a quandary, have an e-niro ‘3’ on order via lease not due until the end of Feb 1k down £285 p/m 5k p/a 2 years, took the plunge as the ID3 deals were no where near in terms of cost.

Local vw dealer offering to match the £25,950 life car wow deals on a stock car for end of month delivery, bog standard, the wheels irritate me as the alloys make the car look much better for me, but I can always change them.

The one comparison review I’ve seen (Dutch with subtitles) states the ID3 is the better drive but the interior is cheap and infotainment buggy/laggy as the main downsides and overall they’d still take the e-Niro for now.

Id3 is much more interesting/unique in terms of dedicated ev platform,e-Niro more proven, slightly worried I’ll spend more time at vw garages!

Interested in opinions!
Disclaimer: I have an ID.3 coming next week so I’m biased.

The comments that the interior is cheap is comparing it to older VWs. I’ve seen the quality of materials drop going from a 2015 Golf GTE to a 2018 e-Golf and then the ID.3. However, it’s the same cost cutting as you see in a SEAT for example. It’s not awful.

Software will get fixed. The latest ME2 code being applied to cars now allows over the air updates which will fix bugs without having to go to a dealer.

The ID.3 is one of the few cars designed to be purely electric. It’s rear wheel drive which makes so much sense. The 58kWh version has good range and charges really fast on CCS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are considering leasing I think it’s down to price and whether you can live with the ID3 software risks notably battery drain, until they sort it out, say 3 months.
If you are buying then warranty comes in to play. Having had a VW dsg blow on me a shorter warranty now makes me a little nervous!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going through very similar thought processes myself. Feels a bit like head says E-niro, heart says Id.3. These current offers on stock Id.3s might just swing it VW's way. 🙂
Hit the nail on the head there with that! ID3 is the cooler proposition In my eyes but fully expect some early adopter pain and no doubt the facelift MY updates will make some changes down the line, I guess the Niro seems a more stable platform.

Software bugs don’t worry me too much, expect rapid patching once OTA is enabled and continual improvement/maturity on that front and the whole car/platform is set up to do this from my reading. The battery drain is the bigger worry, is this across the board on all cars? Is this S/W thing or more than that?

Checked a few bits on ev database and the ID3 looks to have much better charging rates across the spectrum, it appears to be as efficient as the e-niro if not slightly more.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Stick to the e-Niro.You got a great price, only 2 years (so can change then) and it is bigger inside with more than enough equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Interested in opinions!
Hi I have leases a life this week with Metallic £1584 plus 23 x £264 . 2 years I find is a better option. No warranty or tyre replacement . I feel the electric market is moving so fast I don't want miss on improvement for a long term .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi I have leases a life this week with Metallic £1584 plus 23 x £264 . 2 years I find is a better option. No warranty or tyre replacement . I feel the electric market is moving so fast I don't want miss on improvement for a long term .
That’s a cracking deal, is that +VAT , congrats

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Including vat . i found on what car. They have better models @£75 per month better
St Albans VW also no finder fee

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you provide more details on this please? I assume 5000 miles.(and I guess it will be grey and steel wheels?)
Who is the lease company ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts