Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having had Eric (the e-Niro) for 5 days, took him from Reading to Ealing, collected DD thence to ikea, bought a pillow, missed the A406 (don't ask!) got lost in Neasden, but eventually made it back in 1 piece, averaging 4.5 miles per KwH, so pretty pleased......
BUT
really confused about the heating options, especially as yesterday was a bit chilly and I didn't have a coat. So, I "think" these are the options from frugal to expensive-
1) Everything off and either boil or freeze
2) "" "" "" "" """ but open windows, which would reduce efficiency on motorway or operate heated or chilled seats and steering wheel depending on ambient temperature
3) Set heating to "auto" which I think defaults to 22 degrees, but recirculate air, OK for short journeys but not longer
4) as above but draw in fresh air
5) run the "heat" option which I think causes air con to operate? OR is it independent of air con? can''t remember what happened yesterday

I noticed yesterday that cold air seemed to circulate unless i ran the heater option which slugged the economy

Have i understood this? manual is in glovebox at the moment, whilst Eric granny charges awaiting electrician in 2 or 3 weeks, fingers crossed
Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Your e-Niro has a heat pump, which can either heat or cool the car. This is what the "best" and "AC" buttons do in the center console. "Auto" will choose one or the other based on the set temperature. You can enable "Driver Only" to only apply this to the driver's seating area to save energy. This is the sensible option for longer trips because it uses minimal energy once the car is already at the desired temperature.

The only other option is to use heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, which is usually better for shorter trips in terms of efficiency.

Having windows open is always more efficient in an ICE than using air con. Not sure if a heat pump changes this for the e-Niro.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,560 Posts
when it’s cold, if you switch on heat the car might draw quite a bit of power for the ptc heater - effectively like an old school electric fan heater. This gets things warmed up quickly and sort of primes the heat pump I believe. From then the heat pump does it’s thing and keeps the car temp up whilst drawing about 300w max in my experience. It’s quite efficient on a long run. Been using the AC for the past couple of days in our 4. Impressed at just how little power it seems to use.
In winter I found the combination of pre-heating the car while plugged in, using the heated seats and wheel, meant the heating wouldn’t need to do much on a short run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all, seems the air con is better for cooling then and not really needed for heating? Too many options, still havent found the button that makes the tea :)

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
289 Posts
I used “auto driver only” on two 75 mile trips this week. First it was warm and sunny outside (set temp to 22) the other it was cooler and rainy. I also had a dripping wet tent in the boot giving off lots of condensation 🙄 so I set it to 23deg.
The system seemed to cope fine, we were all a comfy temp and with a few short blasts of “defog windscreen” to deal with tent wetness we were fine.
I was averaging 4.2miles/kWh on both trips.
Not even thought about ventilated seats - what on earth do they do?! My 10 yo son thinks they might be for when he does a 💨 🤣. Some sort of “straight to outside” vent system would be a blessing for the rest of us!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not even thought about ventilated seats - what on earth do they do?! My 10 yo son thinks they might be for when he does a 💨 🤣. Some sort of “straight to outside” vent system would be a blessing for the rest of us!
Blows cold air through the leather in summer. (Well whenever really, but you want it in summer)

Having windows open is always more efficient in an ICE than using air con. Not sure if a heat pump changes this for the e-Niro.
Complete tosh. At town speeds maybe at a push, but over 30mph, having a window open will use vastly more energy due to the disrupted airflow than a modern A/C system. May have been true 20 years ago, but a/c in cars now is incredibly efficient - heaters on the other hand, in EV’s, use a ton of juice.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Complete tosh. At town speeds maybe at a push, but over 30mph, having a window open will use vastly more energy due to the disrupted airflow than a modern A/C system. May have been true 20 years ago, but a/c in cars now is incredibly efficient - heaters on the other hand, in EV’s, use a ton of juice.
Most sources I can find say it's close or windows down wins in terms of efficiency, do you have a particular source supporting the opposite view?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Here’s a few, but mostly just experience - but I don’t set the a/c to 16, I tend to have it on 19 or 20 so it’s not working too hard

And don’t forget that if it’s hot, windows down only lets in hot air, so doesn’t work anyhow!

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
Anecdotally, and based on a tiny sample of 3 charge cycles, I am finding open sun roof plus windows partially open gives a very pleasant drive when moving (open road, not urban & not gridlock).

It’s worth saying this is in the 21-25°C northern sun over the past fortnight, and travelling between 40 and 50.

It also appears to have less impact on the range (or m/kWh to be precise).

I agree that open windows just let warm air in, but if you can open the sun roof and windows in a way that keeps the air moving - this does keep you cool.

And it’s pleasant!

But in a motorway or 60+, I think AC in a sealed car would win for comfort and efficiency.

I think the problem is that arguments for/against try to be too binary - and suggest one or the other - the truth is that speed, temperature, amount of glass, humidity, all have a part to play, and it’s a judgement call depending if you want comfort, hyperthermia, maximum battery range or something else.

My approach will be to just do what I enjoy the most, and if the range drops so much that I’m scared about not making my destination - I’ll shut the windows a bit, drive a bit steadier, or turn the AC off for a bit.

:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the problem is that arguments for/against try to be too binary - and suggest one or the other - the truth is that speed, temperature, amount of glass, humidity, all have a part to play, and it’s a judgement call depending if you want comfort, hyperthermia, maximum battery range or something else.

My approach will be to just do what I enjoy the most, and if the range drops so much that I’m scared about not making my destination - I’ll shut the windows a bit, drive a bit steadier, or turn the AC off for a bit.
More or less what i did today. OH driving for the first time and got spooked by the regen so switched to normal mode, which didn't seem to affect miles per Kwh at all (annoyingly as i'd lectured him beforehand!)
So we drove with a mix of auto set to 18, then the odd blast of air con and chilled seats (feels like you've wet yourself-allegedly.....) and seemed to have no effect either on miles per kwh. As a woman of a certain age I find that hugely reassuring 😄

·
Registered
186 Posts
SoulGW is right, far more efficient, and effective, to use A/C than drive at any speed with the windows open.

I struggle to relate to all this anxiety, to be honest. We got our Niro last July. Set the temp to Auto at about 20c and I don’t think it’s been altered more than a degree or two either way, occasionally, since. The ‘heat’ and A/C come in and off as necessary.

There’s no way I would be messing about turning things on and off to eke out another few metres per kWh! It’s averaged 4.3m/kWh since day one to now which is fine.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
289 Posts
Hubby was driving today so I was able to have a proper fiddle with lots of settings. We had the climate control set on Auto 21deg and it decided it wanted the air con on (outside temp was reading as 21-22). I flicked the air con off and it increased our range by about 7 miles on a 120 prediction. So I would say unless you are creeping to a charge point and desperate to save range, be cool or be warm to your heart’s content 😎

·
Registered
186 Posts
The thing is, once the A/C had cooled the car it would have gone off automatically for a while, so the 7 mile variation is probably quite optimistic. Or pessimistic, whichever way you look at it..........:unsure:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Just to be pedantic, I need to mention that on the EV screen, then Energy Information you should be able to see additional estimation, one with climate ON, the other one OFF:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts