Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have 2 questions about the e-NV200:
1) Is true that the battery warranty is void if it hasn't been serviced regularly?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the 24 kWh battery in a 2015 model with a 40 kWh battery?

Thanks for your thoughts
Mich

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can’t answer your questions but I doubt you’ll need the battery warranty, they’ve proved very reliable.

I didn’t have my van serviced last year (14 plate) as, to my mind, it’s just a waste of money. £200 to carry out a brief inspection, change the pollen filter and top up the screenwash just isn’t good value in my book. Instead I paid £40 for an MOT although they are actually exempt. It’s a far more thorough inspection and far cheaper.

Obviously I didn’t get the breakdown cover so I can’t call for a flatbed if I run out of battery so I just have to be careful to make sure I don’t. Four years in and I’ve managed not to so far though.

I’d certainly be interested in putting a 40kwhr pack in the van within the next couple of years though if the cost isn’t prohibitive.

·
Leave in a Leaf
492 Posts
WOW !! Never knew this.

I read your post and got to the bit :

I paid £40 for an MOT although they are actually exempt.
What's he on about I thought ? That can't be right but........before I act all smug I'll check and sure enough.....

at Getting an MOT it states

Other vehicles that do not need an MOT include:
  • goods vehicles powered by electricity and registered before 1 March 2015
How weird is that ? Something leftover from milk float days ?

PS apologies for thinking you were the dummy when it was me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
WOW !! Never knew this.

I read your post and got to the bit :

What's he on about I thought ? That can't be right but........before I act all smug I'll check and sure enough.....

at Getting an MOT it states

Other vehicles that do not need an MOT include:
  • goods vehicles powered by electricity and registered before 1 March 2015
How weird is that ? Some leftover from milk float days ?

PS apologies for thinking you were the dummy when it was me.:rolleyes:
No need to apologise. To be fair, I wasn’t aware that they closed the loophole in 2015.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My Van missed the date by 2 months. No biggie as to be frank it was always going to be easier to MOT than try to prove the vehicle was well mainatined in the event of an accident say. The old reg was all about milk floats. It is the same thing in essence just faster and longer range. A bloke near me drove to Scotland and back in a milk float, I did try to dissuade him but to no avail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I have 2 questions about the e-NV200:
1) Is true that the battery warranty is void if it hasn't been serviced regularly?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the 24 kWh battery in a 2015 model with a 40 kWh battery?

Thanks for your thoughts
Mich
Spoke to Wessex Nissan at Cribbs Causeway today. They said it was possible to upgrade a 24kWh battery to 40 kWh, but they couldn't to it... they said battery was £8,000 and work would be '1000s more'. Given the price of the 40kWh Combi, it may still be the most economical way to upgrade...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't see why it would cost thousands of labour considering you are essentially swapping a battery not re-boring the pistons, porting the head and balancing a flywheel. Have you had a look at muxan blogs on youtube? They seem to sway them out with an aftermarket battery but the trouble is where do you get one? I imagine the module would need upgrading also though.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Muxsan are fitting the battery modules from VW GTE in addition to the existing Nissan battery pack. The downside is that you lose a small amount of space in the load area and a more significant part of the load carrying capacity. They will also fit a larger capacity Nissan pack but have some significant reservations about these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Muxsan are fitting the battery modules from VW GTE in addition to the existing Nissan battery pack. The downside is that you lose a small amount of space in the load area and a more significant part of the load carrying capacity. They will also fit a larger capacity Nissan pack but have some significant reservations about these.
Yep I noticed that also (losing load space). I would prefer a straight swap which I think they do according to their website. However I'd be interest in retrofitting myself just can't find where to purchase the battery packs. I'm looking at buying a high mileage e-nv200 off a mate but keen to replace 24kwh battery to 40kwh at least - as suggested by OP

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
You will need to keep an eye out with the online breakers. I suspect that they'll be very rare. You'll also need something to match the codes.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There are some differences between the 24kWh and 40kWh packs and you’d probably have to sort out some CAN bus fudging and accept the new pack details Into the BCM (muxsan have a tool for that if I remember right).

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Muxsan will swap the 24kwh to 40kwh and buy the 24kwh pack from you. Takes a day, work is warrantied, and costs £5,036 in todays money.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
What's the cost difference between an NV200 with the bigger and the smaller pack? It may be more cost effective to upgrade to a van with a guarantee.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
With the Env_200 swapping the battery will be more difficult than with a LEAF due to the coolant circuit going into the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Muxsan now do an underfloor secondary battery:
"Here's our prototype e-NV200 17.6kWh under-body battery! This proto took 2 very long days to install so its not perfect yet - but it will be a regular product you can order and get installed from roughly september onwards! "

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wish I'd known 18 months ago that reliable upgrades would become available, as then I would have kept my old 24kWh one with the dependable and effective cooling it had, rather than forking out money for the 40kWh which doesn't cool properly.

Still, I've seen comments on Facebook that Muxsan are working on a simple upgrade involving installing a switch so you can ensure the cooling fans run, in which case I'll be making a trip to the Netherlands.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Muxsan now do an underfloor secondary battery:
"Here's our prototype e-NV200 17.6kWh under-body battery! This proto took 2 very long days to install so its not perfect yet - but it will be a regular product you can order and get installed from roughly september onwards! "
View attachment 132359
Sounds promising. Hopefully the extra battery will not overheat. The weight is an issue, Compared to changing the cells to 40 kWh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts