Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new van reminds me of driving cars 25 years ago. I am smelling all the emissions from cars in front of me, not experienced this for a long time.

I have been advised to use the recirc feature. I am going to test this but I have never had to use this in any car except the rare occasion when I needed to help the A/C in really hot conditions.

Anyone else noticed/experienced this?

There is a bit of irony my first electric vehicle is letting emissions inside the cabin.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts
My brand new van reminds me of driving cars 25 years ago. I am smelling all the emissions from cars in front of me, not experienced this for a long time.

I have been advised to use the recirc feature. I am going to test this but I have never had to use this in any car except the rare occasion when I needed to help the A/C in really hot conditions.

Anyone else noticed/experienced this?

There is a bit of irony my first electric vehicle is letting emissions inside the cabin.
I leave the recirculation on all the time...it works to some extent but it won't keep out excessive road fumes or smoky bonfires:...grrrrrr.....bonfires make me A N G R Y.....
...sorry about that..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wondered about this too and whether the external pollution smell used to be masked by that produced by my own ICE so I never noticed so much.

Recirculation is always on. If it's cold outside to keep the hot air in and vice versa to minimise heating/ac usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered about this too and whether the external pollution smell used to be masked by that produced by my own ICE so I never noticed so much.

Recirculation is always on. If it's cold outside to keep the hot air in and vice versa to minimise heating/ac usage.
Are you saying you are noticing more fumes inside your e-NV200 compared to other vehicles?

The e-NV200 is fitted with a cabin filter and its purpose is to remove harmful pollutants, I suspect mine is not working / sealed correctly or there is a leak somewhere else e.g. somewhere on the bulkhead.

As far as I know you don't want to recirculate in colder temperatures, this will keep humidity inside the cabin and increase the chances of steaming up, it's main purpose is in higher temperatures when you want the cooled A/C air to be kept inside the cabin.

However, that is not the point, I am concerned that excessive pollution is entering the cabin of my e-NV200....my nose thinks it is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure whether there are more fumes inside the cabin or whether I am just noticing the fumes more.

In winter time,,yeah I've always got the ac on to stop steaming up. Gotta keep those London fumes out

·
Registered
609 Posts
Normally car recirculation systems only recirculate 80-90% of the air and top up with 10-20% fresh air. Many cars now offer a 100% recirculate for a limited time 3-10 minutes e.g. Prius pollen mode and Tesla NBC mode by pressing an extra button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts