Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recommendation for an induction hob that can run at low power? I'm looking to run an induction hob from a 12V inverter in my e-NV200 campervan.

I have a 1500W 12V > 240V inverter, but ideally I want an induction hob that will run at 500W or below. I bought this induction hub since it had various power settings down to 200W. It turns out that all the power levels below 1000W is just 1000W pulsating! Even though my inverter can handle this it would be much less strain in the inverter, wring and battery if the hob could actually be set to draw at low power e.g 500W

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Might be the case with induction hobs in general that they pulse to achieve lower ratings.
Maybe contact some manufs directly like Tefal re this one and see if it does what you want...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inverter I bought specifically says it will operate a 200W, but this incorrect. The 200W setting is 1000W pulsed.

Here's a video to illustrate the problem:

Might be the case with induction hobs in general that they pulse to achieve lower ratings.
I think this could be the case. However, it's strange they would advertise as having a 200W setting :-/

If you want something that low you should probably go with a regular electric hotplate, they make them that run at 500watts.
That's a possibility, however I would prefer to use an induction hob since they are more efficient i.e less heat is lost heating the saucepan.

In my camper I use a 12v kettle for pot noodles etc.. I usually just eat sausage rolls or pasties and cans of beans heated in this
Yes, I've got a 120W 12V kettle which works well for making tea/coffee but not so useful for cooking. I've always had an induction hob in the van for use when plugged into a 240V hookup or EV charging station. However, I've recently acquired a 1500W 12V > 240V inverter which made me look into running the induction hob from the 12V system. It would be useful to be able to use the hob when not plugged into mains power.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I think this could be the case. However, it's strange they would advertise as having a 200W setting :-/
The mean output of useful energy is 200W, it's just using a PWM control to provide the lower output. LED lights do the same when turned down (like rear running lights that are also brake lights).

What do you want to do with 200W? It's going to take a long time to do anything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mean output of useful energy is 200W, it's just using a PWM control to provide the lower output. LED lights do the same when turned down (like rear running lights that are also brake lights).
True, but PWM is switching something fast to give the impression of a lower power level. This is just switching a 1kW load on/off every 5s!

What do you want to do with 200W? It's going to take a long time to do anything.
200W was just an example, being able to adjust power between about 500W-800W is the sweet spot for decent cooking speed and not overloading the inverter. Tbh 2000W on an induction hob is crazy it obliterates food in seconds!

I've been recommended the Vango Sizzle which looks like the perfect off-gird induction hob, its 800W max with lower power settings. I've ordered one to test: Sizzle

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some of the Amazon reviews on the first product you got complained about this too, eg 1000W pulsed burnt their jam unless using a a pan with a very heavy base as a heat reservoir to balance out the pulses.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,370 Posts
I have 2 induction hubs that does similar PWM thing. I thought this practice is pretty standard with induction hobs.

You'll want old style resistive element cookers, look for ones with clicks in its power settings. That's usually clicking between number of elements, and lowest power draw with only 1 element connected.

Unfortunately almost everything is moving to PWM for power control. It's easier to design from engineering point of view but it's really annoying when 200w setting is not actually 200w drawn from the plug.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've found the perfect induction hob for off grid low power applications, the Vango Sizzle can draw 400W-800W continually without cycling. This is perfect for my requirement to power from a 12V leisure battery via an inverter (y)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan E-NV200 24kWh Tekna Rapid Plus
2,639 Posts
I've found the perfect induction hob for off grid low power applications, the Vango Sizzle can draw 400W-800W continually without cycling. This is perfect for my requirement to power from a 12V leisure battery via an inverter (y)
An excellent find, might invest in one of these myself. So much for us helping you out :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glyn.. That's a great find.
Can you remind me of your battery/inverter setup?
How much does it deplete the battery?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glyn.. That's a great find.
Can you remind me of your battery/inverter setup?
How much does it deplete the battery?
Thanks
Chris
I've just got hold of a 1500W inverter. I don't have a leisure battery I will just draw power from the van battery with the van switched on. The van as a 1000W DC-DC converter so as long as I draw less than this I won't deplete the 12V battery.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You taken losses in account conversion losses?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You taken losses in account conversion losses?
Yes, the inverter is > 90% efficient so at full power drawing 800W (actual power is 735W) the max load on the 12V bus will be 880W. Even taking into account wiring losses this is still under the 1000W capacity of the DC-DC converter. Even if this limit was exceeded for a short period no damage would be done, the 12V battery would just supply the extra power.

·
ENV200 Owner
289 Posts
I've just got hold of a 1500W inverter. I don't have a leisure battery I will just draw power from the van battery with the van switched on. The van as a 1000W DC-DC converter so as long as I draw less than this I won't deplete the 12V battery.
Is this using 12v socket Glyn?

·
ENV200 Owner
289 Posts
It’ll be directly from the battery, the 12v socket can’t provide that much current.
Sorry I meant inverter plugged into 12v socket - Glyn has said he uses it with the van on. Not sure how else you’d connect it to traction battery.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan E-NV200 24kWh Tekna Rapid Plus
2,639 Posts
Sorry I meant inverter plugged into 12v socket - Glyn has said he uses it with the van on. Not sure how else you’d connect it to traction battery.
You connect the inverter directly to the 12v starter battery, not the traction battery. the accessory socket has a 10 amp fuse (120watts). Not enough for the induction hob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts