Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, and new to the world of EVs, so apologies in advance If I’m a bit befuddled.

My wife just got her new EQA and loves it. We’re charging from the regular socket, so far so good, but want to get a proper charger installed. We’re with E.On and are looking at their NextDrive tariff - 4p per kWh for the 12am to 4am graveyard shift, but as a rebate for the EV and only the EV, not other domestic use. As such, you either need one of their supported EVs (not Mercedes) or a supported charger.

The current charger they’re recommending/pushing/installing is an E.On-branded innogy eBox Smart (socketed) thing, for the princely sum of £799 (including the OZEV grant). Seems more expensive than other options, and I’d prefer tethered to socketed, so not ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with said wall charger (perhaps as non E.On branded) and whether it’s any good? Anyone else on the E.On NextDrive tariff? I have a SMETS1 smart meter, and not one Octopus supports, so not sure how easy it’d be to move to Octopus Go. And, given the chaos in the sector, not sure I want to switch from E.On. But, I also don’t want to spend a fortune for a charger that’s terrible and limits me from switching to another energy provider in the future. Unless I’m mistaken (quite possible) it seems like the EV-specific energy tariffs all seem to be tied to specific wall chargers and I haven’t found one that’s supported by multiple different energy providers.

- Michael

·
Registered
665 Posts
Unless I’m mistaken (quite possible) it seems like the EV-specific energy tariffs all seem to be tied to specific wall chargers and I haven’t found one that’s supported by multiple different energy providers.
No, most aren't. The EV tariffs fall into two groups, the first group use the smart meter to provide a block of off-peak hours overnight and this applies to the whole house consumption, so not only can you use it with any charger, EV or PHEV which has a timer but also with household appliances like dishwashers. These are the most common tariffs, examples being Octopus Go and Go Faster, EDF EV tariffs etc. More examples here

The next group are rarer and more complicated, using metering built into the charger to provide a discounted rate just for the EV charging. These are the ones where you currently needed specific models of charger which only work with specific suppliers and tariffs, because arrangements for getting data from an appliance like an EV charger are not yet standardised. Examples being the one you mention, Ovo do a tariff which works with another specific charger, Octopus are trialling an intelligent tariff which worki g only with certain chargers and EVs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post, and new to the world of EVs, so apologies in advance If I’m a bit befuddled.

My wife just got her new EQA and loves it. We’re charging from the regular socket, so far so good, but want to get a proper charger installed. We’re with E.On and are looking at their NextDrive tariff - 4p per kWh for the 12am to 4am graveyard shift, but as a rebate for the EV and only the EV, not other domestic use. As such, you either need one of their supported EVs (not Mercedes) or a supported charger.

The current charger they’re recommending/pushing/installing is an E.On-branded innogy eBox Smart (socketed) thing, for the princely sum of £799 (including the OZEV grant). Seems more expensive than other options, and I’d prefer tethered to socketed, so not ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with said wall charger (perhaps as non E.On branded) and whether it’s any good? Anyone else on the E.On NextDrive tariff? I have a SMETS1 smart meter, and not one Octopus supports, so not sure how easy it’d be to move to Octopus Go. And, given the chaos in the sector, not sure I want to switch from E.On. But, I also don’t want to spend a fortune for a charger that’s terrible and limits me from switching to another energy provider in the future. Unless I’m mistaken (quite possible) it seems like the EV-specific energy tariffs all seem to be tied to specific wall chargers and I haven’t found one that’s supported by multiple different energy providers.

- Michael
Read you post with interest as just got a 1st EV for wife and looking at chargers. We've been moved to E.on as previous supplier gone bust. I can see E Box installation and supply £599 which looks pretty good. Did you install one? Just wondered how they did. I can't see how long the cable is with tethered version and what it looks like on the wall. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts