Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still experimenting with the most efficient way to drive my new leaf. I assumed the e-pedal would be a more efficient means of driving over the tradition two pedals, but still trying to conclude my experiment with this. What are others experiences with trying to eek out every mile per kWh?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I would have thought e-pedal would be most efficient as it is basically just aggressive regen.
For exactly the same reason, I'd consider e-Pedal to be least efficient mode !

If regeneration operates whenever you're ready to slow down, you won't be able to get the extra yards whilst friction & gravity slow the car down naturally. Unless Nissan have successfully invented a perpetual motion machine, the car won't 'regenerate' enough energy to restore speed when you want to accelerate again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I follow your thinking. As an ICE Hypermiler (sort of), I make use of coasting and DFCO in different circumstances. So I can see situations where e-pedal would be best and where it would not. Once I get my Leaf 2 then I will probably switch between the modes to squeeze the best range, if needed. Mind you. The mileage I intend doing with it, range won't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It depends, in traffic you may not have the opportunity to coast gently to a stop over a mile or so...

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I use ePedal mainly around South London, but sometimes on back roads where you need to constantly regulate your speed and you are having fun. I really enjoy the handling on this car. So planted compared to the old Leaf.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find ePedal good fun, so tend to have it on permanently. When I first saw the adverts for the car I wasn't at all convinced by it, but now I'm a total convert.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In my limited driving so far I think ePedal is going to be for urban/traffic driving. I have already learnt, approximately, the point of the accelerator pedal that is "coast" but I sense that my right calf muscles will get tired or cramped quite quickly if I have to hold it there for extended periods. For longer/faster driving the cruise control ignores both ePedal and Eco modes - at least that's how I read the manual - so I will probably leave it on and use cruise control once on open roads.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Buying a Leaf fitted with e-pedal as part of its enhanced features involves paying a substantial premium. To then avoid using it on the grounds that it might cost an extra few quid a year in electricity would seem to be a bit of a waste of the initial investment to me. I found it to be excellent in almost all urban/country driving situations where frequent changes in velocity were involved. Well worth the potential few quid a year cost in any suspected inefficiency. Possibly not as user-friendly on motorways or main dual carriageway roads but then again the adaptive cruise would be my choice there in any case.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just because some fancy gizmo is fitted to the car doesn't mean you have to use it ! I didn't rush out to buy a stack of CDs when first acquiring a car with CD player - just carried on listening to wireless.

If there was a Leaf version without some of the excessive technology , I'd probably have bought one.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Just because some fancy gizmo is fitted to the car doesn't mean you have to use it ! I didn't rush out to buy a stack of CDs when first acquiring a car with CD player - just carried on listening to wireless.

If there was a Leaf version without some of the excessive technology , I'd probably have bought one.
Visia Leaf24. :cool::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,164 Posts

I can't say that I would label that excellent driver aid as a fancy gizmo. Or a CD player the work of the devil. Perhaps you should have bought one of these.

upload_2018-5-17_18-41-42.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm tending to agree with EricM especially with propilot, takes all the fun out of driving, you might as well have a robot doing your driving or a chauffeur while you sit in the back reading your newspaper and I will admit it was one of the reasons that attracted me to the car maybe for long motorway journeys but even then it must get boring

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
In some ways I find ProPilot harder work as you need to be very attentive in case the car does something or someone else does something you aren’t expecting. The most relaxing time when using it is in motorway stop start traffic up to about 30mph. It is very good in those situations as you know the car will steer and start & stop without much input. Makes it safer knowing the car will stop without hitting the car in front even if you miss seeing the car in front stop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So results from the two day experiment. On each occasion I did my commute of 20 miles each way (40 total). On a mix of A roads and through Bath city centre.

Yesterday, eco+B+standard pedals. 4.6miles/kWh and battery use 24%
Today, eco+B+e-pedal. 4.6miles/kWh and battery use 25%

Conclusion: makes no obvious difference. Guess I’ll just mix it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In some ways I find ProPilot harder work as you need to be very attentive in case the car does something or someone else does something you aren’t expecting. The most relaxing time when using it is in motorway stop start traffic up to about 30mph. It is very good in those situations as you know the car will steer and start & stop without much input. Makes it safer knowing the car will stop without hitting the car in front even if you miss seeing the car in front stop.
My propilot steering seems very sporadic. For the most part it isn’t active, then occasionally kicks in for a bit. Any thoughts on what basis it is deciding to become active?

·
Registered
983 Posts
So results from the two day experiment. On each occasion I did my commute of 20 miles each way (40 total). On a mix of A roads and through Bath city centre.

Yesterday, eco+B+standard pedals. 4.6miles/kWh and battery use 24%
Today, eco+B+e-pedal. 4.6miles/kWh and battery use 25%

Conclusion: makes no obvious difference. Guess I’ll just mix it up tomorrow.
To get any meaningful results, I suspect you'd need to do that trip alternate days each method for at least a month. Afraid it would be all too easy for whichever method really is (slightly) better to have hit a bad day and for the (slightly) worse method to have enjoyed a better than average day.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My propilot steering seems very sporadic. For the most part it isn’t active, then occasionally kicks in for a bit. Any thoughts on what basis it is deciding to become active?
I haven't found this at all. On the Mway it stays on always even through roadworks unless I change lanes without indication but soon "grabs" control again after a few seconds.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The system needs to be able to 'see' clearly defined edges to the lane you are in, the edges can be lines or curbs as long as they have good contrast it will 'see' them. On the whole it works pretty well, even on 'A' roads but as Mike mentioned it comes into its own when in start stop traffic.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts