Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the whatcar review doesn't say whether the 39 and 64kWh models will both be available in the UK, but it does suggest that there will be only one trim level (like the Niro). sigh.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the whatcar review doesn't say whether the 39 and 64kWh models will both be available in the UK, but it does suggest that there will be only one trim level (like the Niro). sigh.
Seems Kia UK have a one size (trim level) fits all policy at present. Odd decision for sure. Seems far better to have a top spec for a First Edition and a economy level one if its just about simplifying build/orders.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Such a shame they are saying the 39kw version will not be coming to the UK. If that is the case it looks like I will be leaving the Kia family. I am just not willing to spend 30k on a car, no matter how eco or nice it is to drive
I'm with you on the £30K plus part. Having spent ages test driving all EV's and doing the maths, it just doesnt add up just yet. EV's are still £10-15K plus more expensive than equivalent ICE vehicles. Putting an EV purchase on hold for a year or more to see what pans out and just keep our diesels running as still do 50mpg. average. Noticed this link yesterday which endorses EV's are still in the early adopter phase and will be for a few more years. I still want an EV, no question, but its not the solution for us just yet.
9 Facts About Electric Cars The Evangelists Ignore

Reactions: buck eejit

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think you've got to be doing a lot of mileage, and/or use company car tax breaks or something else, to make an EV more compelling, particularly since prices are going up AND the grant went down. All the competition to the Soul, Niro and Kona are a year off at least, with VW and others simply saying "2020".

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,643 Posts
Or buying carefully. My EVs so far have been the cheapest cars I've owned for many years because they haven't lost huge sums the moment they are driven off the forecourt.
I don't see the Niro being to bad either. I don't expect it to be as cheap as the Leaf was, or e-Golf had been so far, but I do expect it to hold its value much better than buying an ICE equivalent, even a 1-2 year old ICE from a dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts