Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've looked over a few threads, but struggling to find a reliable value - but what sort of range are people getting?

My commute (if I ever need to do it again) is 120 miles each way (or 140 if there's problems on the motorway). which is a joyous combination of the M6 and A50 at relatively peak times. Luckily even pre-covid, I only needed to go 1 or 2 times a month.

There is some charging infrastructure near work, but not on site, so would add to my commute to hop on public transport/walk the last leg.

I'm just choosing a new car now, and it'll be either an E-tron 50, X3 30e or LR Disco sport P300e. However, not being able to get to/from the office without charging is a real con to the E-tron, which otherwise would be my prefered choice.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Stood next to a guy with an eTron at a charger, and he was lamenting that he was only getting about 2 miles / kWh.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
847 Posts
Think you might struggle in winter in a 50, especially if you routinely charge to 80%. You'd need good destination charging.

My 50 Technik arrives on Friday so I will hopefully be able to speak with first hand experience soon.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
681 Posts
My commute (if I ever need to do it again) is 120 miles each way (or 140 if there's problems on the motorway)...
Awkward not having destinatioin charging. Out of those three cars I'd take the eTron but charge it at a rapid on the way or way home so I could make the rest of the journey. Not many BEVs could do that return without a charge somewhere.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You will probably need a Tesla to reliably cover those kind of distances. Guy over on Piston Heads said 2m / kwh too. It's horribly inefficient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback.

I've got a 72 hour test drive in one coming up - but I'm not sure if it'll just break my heart if I love the car, but can't accept the range. Although I'm confident that there's charging options across the route and near the office, it's more the inconvenience of adding to a 6 hour round trip.

Might be a heart Vs head decision (or whichever one the Mrs prefers!)

·
Registered
467 Posts
ETron 55 here - so marginally heavier / less efficient. Worst ever is 2 miles / kWh in depths of winter - best is 3. Yesterday I drove Bristol to North Yorkshire, no need to charge, 3 miles / kWh at 65-70 and using air con. Lifetime average is 2.5 over 25,000 miles so far and exactly one full year of driving. Expect 50 to be slightly better, but not much.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Oh dear, that is bad. I was seriously looking at the eTron for my next car, but probably not now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh dear, that is bad. I was seriously looking at the eTron for my next car, but probably not now.
It's my first EV so I don't know any better...😉...however, in a way, what do you expect? It's a big, heavy car that looks like a brick at the front end. I test drove the iPace over nearly 1,000 miles and found it marginally better at low speeds but a fair bit worse, if anything, at motorway speeds. Tesla Model X wasn't an option for me as not offered by my leasing company scheme, how good is that in real world driving I wonder?

The real question is do you really need to lug around 2.5 tonnes of metal everywhere you go. The answer should clearly be no. I have always selected small, fuel efficient vehicles before; my option this time (given leasing constraints) was a much smaller diesel or a bloated SUV EV. I don't regret my choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think VW have been a tad cynical with the “development” of the Etron as they appear to have taken one of their Q cars, ripped out the stinking diesel and replaced it with an electric motor and batteries. No wonder it is such a lump with poor performance! OK for taking the kids to school and going to Sainsbury’s mind!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think VW have been a tad cynical with the “development” of the Etron as they appear to have taken one of their Q cars, ripped out the stinking diesel and replaced it with an electric motor and batteries. No wonder it is such a lump with poor performance! OK for taking the kids to school and going to Sainsbury’s mind!
Poor performance...?...have you driven one...?

A lump...maybe. Inefficient...definitely. I wouldn't describe it as performing poorly though.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Poor performance...?...have you driven one...?

A lump...maybe. Inefficient...definitely. I wouldn't describe it as performing poorly though.
I presume they meant ‘efficiency’ when they said performance?

I hear this a lot, the e-Golf gets similar stick for being an ICE car that’s had its ‘stinking diesel’ ripped out and replaced with a motor and batteries, yet it’s quite efficient as EVs go. Certainly as efficient as most designed from the ground up EVs anyway.

I think the e-trons problem, if it has one, is that it’s a large SUV/4WD with poor aerodynamics. That’s in common with all similar vehicles though, electric or ICE.

I don’t care where a car has come from, if it’s an EV it gets my vote.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all,

I thought I'd register here to post a reply to the OP as I have been in possession of an E-Tron 50 Technik for the past week.

I have only done ~300 miles but my range is currently at 165 - 170 miles for 100% charge. This is a mix of B road and mostly motorway with some urban but sticking more or less to speed limits. My long term consumption (I know hardly long term) is at 2.6 Mi/Kwh. I think it is important to ask what speeds you do during your commute but if it is at peak traffic times and getting 70+mph for long stretches is but a dream, then the E-Tron 50 might just be enough because 150 winter and 180 summer would be realistic at an average of 50mph commute. In winter expect ~20-25% less range.

So summer range is more than enough for a 120m - max 140m commute, winter is cutting it fine to say the least.

·
847 Posts
Based on my calculations, I should be able to manage 190 miles in summer conditions, maybe more, in my 50 Technik.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Seriously? o_O o_O

Your driving style must have changed from the S8 days.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a 50 S-Line over the weekend for an extended test drive. The couple of longer journeys I did were at around 2.8 - 2.9 mi/kw which i appreciate isn't great but better than i'd expected for a 2.5 tonne wheeled brick. If the stats on ev-database are correct, and the usable battery is 64.7kw, 2.8 mi/kw should yield 181 miles. Those sections on a motorway doing 65 mph on cruise seemed to be more efficient, maybe over 3.0mi/kw. The energy sapping part of the E-Tron is getting its bulk up to speed.

·
847 Posts
That really mirrors my own experience, although I've not done a motorway trip just yet. I have been managing to get 2.7ish around town, but that's with very careful attention to efficiency.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve had my e tron 50 for over 500 miles now, I’m averaging 2.5 m/kWh. It much prefers motorway driving, 70-80 Mph returns around 2.7m/kwh. Not tried it in heavy rain yet, that will be your real killer on a possible 140 mile commute. Loving it so far tho.

·
Registered
Audi E-Tron - Launch Edition
39 Posts
That really mirrors my own experience, although I've not done a motorway trip just yet. I have been managing to get 2.7ish around town, but that's with very careful attention to efficiency.
2.7 doesn’t seem “too bad” to me considering it’s bulk weighs a few tonne. Was your town driving with any other features such as A/C, fan on etc?

I have a 7-8 mile commute basically with two options: Sticking to 30MPH roads with a few traffic lights OR using some 50MPH roads. I’d have thought the 30MPH roads would be more efficient however, the more stop/start would likely balance it out?

Do you find regen or coasting more efficient? I have to travel through a tunnel, so in theory the regen on the way down should be quite considerable, though it’ll probably charge it just enough to climb out the other side!

I’ve had my e tron 50 for over 500 miles now, I’m averaging 2.5 m/kWh. It much prefers motorway driving, 70-80 Mph returns around 2.7m/kwh. Not tried it in heavy rain yet, that will be your real killer on a possible 140 mile commute. Loving it so far tho.
Same as above really, test drove the 55 but ordered the 50. Just keen to see what thoughts etc are considering it weighs less but has a smaller battery.

Any thoughts around the regen paddles equating to more power than pedal braking etc?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts