Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any thoughts around the regen paddles equating to more power than pedal braking etc?
It is worth pointing out that the E-Tron regen paddles and brakes do exactly the same thing. I read that the physical brakes only apply if you have to brake at 3G+ which would be really hard. Where the paddles become handy is when you are coasting down a reasonably steep hill as they save you from applying constant brake pressure to regen.

I find the Audi method far more intuitive and easier to master because it behaves just like a normal car. In the tunnel scenario you describe it would be best to gain some speed on the way down, then use the excess speed to coast on the way up.

After two weeks of E-Tron 50 ownership I have finally stopped worrying about regen, or range and just drive like I normally would. In the current weather my range was showing 178 miles at 100% charge and long term efficiency shows 2.7mi/kwh. I also tend to stick to speed limits or thereabouts (traffic permitting).

Only today my wife said "you drive this new car like you are out for a Sunday drive". Ironically I was driving like I normally did, I just reminded her you don't hear the engine so it "sounds" slow.

·
Registered
Audi E-Tron - Launch Edition
40 Posts
It is worth pointing out that the E-Tron regen paddles and brakes do exactly the same thing. I read that the physical brakes only apply if you have to brake at 3G+ which would be really hard. Where the paddles become handy is when you are coasting down a reasonably steep hill as they save you from applying constant brake pressure to regen.

I find the Audi method far more intuitive and easier to master because it behaves just like a normal car. In the tunnel scenario you describe it would be best to gain some speed on the way down, then use the excess speed to coast on the way up.
I gathered they likely did the same, I found myself in the demo driving with the paddles and not the brake pedal, but glad to hear it’s fairly efficient when driven fairly ‘normally’.

Speed limit in the tunnel is unfortunately 30 one way, 40 the other. In a ICE vehicle I find you have to down-shift considerably even in an auto as it easily starts to gain speed at quite a pace. Saves riding the brakes the whole way down, so I gathered the regen from an EV in the same scenario would be quite beneficial, even if it saves 3 miles of range on the trip that’d be a bonus.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
879 Posts
2.7 doesn’t seem “too bad” to me considering it’s bulk weighs a few tonne. Was your town driving with any other features such as A/C, fan on etc?
That was with everything switched on except the headlamps - stereo, Bluetooth/WiFi, and the A/C running on auto, set at 22. Turning off A/C is probably the biggest range booster, everything else is negligible.
I have a 7-8 mile commute basically with two options: Sticking to 30MPH roads with a few traffic lights OR using some 50MPH roads. I’d have thought the 30MPH roads would be more efficient however, the more stop/start would likely balance it out?

Do you find regen or coasting more efficient? I have to travel through a tunnel, so in theory the regen on the way down should be quite considerable, though it’ll probably charge it just enough to climb out the other side!
A lot will depend on your personal driving style. I tend to coast, and use the paddles when I'm approaching traffic lights or a junction, and use the brakes as normal if traffic dictates. The brake pedal includes a certain amount of regeneration anyway. I've not really settled on the best way to drive efficiently yet.

Getting the car moving is what uses the most energy. Once it's rolling, it's best to conserve as much of that momentum as possible. I reckon it will be more efficient for you to cruise at 50.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You guys are talking about dreadful efficiencies but alas it does not seem to bother anyone
Why would it bother us? If someone gets an E-Tron 50 (or to a lesser extent a 55), you can rest assured they are totally aware the efficiency is lower than a Leaf/Tesla/E-Niro/Kona or an I-Pace. They just didn't consider the lower range and efficiency to be a metric that was high on their list of must haves.

Maybe like me, they simply decided that they wanted a great premium SUV that happened to be electeric and that the mediocre range was acceptable for their needs.

·
Registered
Audi E-Tron - Launch Edition
40 Posts
Agree with the above comments. Unfortunately, I have a partner who doesn’t walk very well so a vehicle of the height of an SUV is ideal for ease of entry/exit. Likewise, the boot is ample for wheelchair & shopping, the adjustable height suspension is a bonus. Practicality over efficiency in many of the use cases I can think of.

Sure, if I wanted efficiency I could’ve got a Golf but the EV SUV market is literally 13 available vehicles, considering 3 of those are variations of the E-Tron!

Appreciate everyone’s feedback, not much longer, presuming mine is now on a ship or due shortly.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Why would it bother us? If someone gets an E-Tron 50 (or to a lesser extent a 55), you can rest assured they are totally aware the efficiency is lower than a Leaf/Tesla/E-Niro/Kona or an I-Pace. They just didn't consider the lower range and efficiency to be a metric that was high on their list of must haves.

Maybe like me, they simply decided that they wanted a great premium SUV that happened to be electeric and that the mediocre range was acceptable for their needs.
Agreed. One point though - having driven both for many miles, the iPace is no better in real world use than the eTron (at least in top spec / silly big wheels configuration - smaller wheel / lower spec version may well be a bit better).

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have even less choice here in Northern Ireland as there is no Tesla dealership yet. Though one is due to open soon and that is great to give proper choice to potential EV buyers here. To be honest I wouldn't have considered one because the QC and CS issues that seem commonplace have put me off Tesla. I have also sat in a Model 3 and I know this is subjective but found it a horrible place to sit. The one big screen and featureless dashboard did nothing for me.

I opted for the E-Tron 50 when I saw a colleague in the NHS had ordered one and it looked like a great car. Especially for £340 per month lease, 12,000 miles PA, including tax, tyres, insurance, servicing and roadside assistance. Though my long term pension takes a small hit as well. I did some research on the E-Tron 50 and at first the range put me off but after looking at the facts I realised I only ever drove beyond 100 miles as a complete trip once per year. The last time was around 400 miles tour of the Antrim Coast that included 2 overnight stays where I could charge the car if I had an E-Tron 50. The E-Niro and Kona were also available for a similar price and if range was an issue I could have opted for one of those. The problem is that neither of those would take me on a similar trip without having to be recharged overnight, so the "better efficiency" and range is moot.

I saw a range test video (in German) where a an E-Tron 50 and a Kona EV were "range raced" something like 700km - 1000km. The E-Tron 50 won because it could charge at significantly faster speed at a rapid charger. This does not have an E-Tron 50 but take the 55 curve and top it out at 120 Kw to get the idea.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I really like the e-Tron as had a previous generation A6 Avant on a 59 plate which I still think showed off Audi can do some of the best interiors for car. After 110,000 miles it looked pretty much the same as the day I took delivery. My brother in law bought it from my leasing company and is still driving it today with now 210k+ on it. Just checked the mot history.

The interior is still looking immaculate,fared much better the my Model S, the range I could probably live with but wasn’t sure at the time. However now sold on Tesla and will stick with newer Model S I have changed for.

Got to play in the e-torn at Fully charged last year and was left very impressed, much more so than with the i-pace I have to say, as when I went for my test drive the y could not get the charge cable to release and had to rebook. Which if I was new to EVs would not have been a very good advert.

I would however take the comment about benefits of higher as a thing to come for the uk, once we have a plethora of 150kW chargers, which will come but for now, majority of them at 50kW. If you live in NL however, it is a thing now! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wanted to give an update in this thread with some more relevant information on real world range. Over the past week I have been getting real world range of around 170 - 183 miles at 100% battery. Before I got the E-Tron all research I read indicated that shorter slower trips returned better efficiency than longer motorway trips in an EV. I have been finding the opposite with my E-Tron and I have been getting 2.8 - 2.9 mi/kwh at 60-70 mph and 2.2 on shorter town/urban runs. I can only assume the energy required to get that massive weight moving is substantial.

Today I did an 85 mile return trip that was ~70 miles motorway and maybe ~15 miles of town and B road driving. When I set off with 100% battery the range showed 171 miles. By the time I returned I had covered 85 miles and there was still 97 miles left which is 182 miles total range. I know it's summer and it is best case scenario but I drove the way I always have even in an ICE car and used air-con when I felt it was needed. My driving style has always been to rarely speed and I tend to sit 3-5 mph below motorway speed limits and rarely ever go above 50mph on B roads.

I am not sure if my 2020 E-Tron 50 has some of the range improvements but I had expected 165-170 miles at best. So pleasantly surprised.

·
879 Posts
My experience after a couple of weeks is that 2.7mi/kWh is achievable with care around town, and I managed 3mi/kWh on a 40 mile round trip (80% of which was 60mph motorway). I'm making a conscious effort to drive efficiently.

I think if I was really careful I could get 200 miles on a 100% charge, but I'm not brave enough to push it and find out.

I am not sure if my 2020 E-Tron 50 has some of the range improvements but I had expected 165-170 miles at best. So pleasantly surprised.
If it's the 2020 model year (check your VIN) it should have the improvements.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,530 Posts
This is not accurate for the Model 3 (it starts at 135kW and goes up to 150kW @just over 50% SoC, then drops away quite fast), but that 150kW charging to 80% is going to become more and more valuable as the rapid charging rollout progresses. The e-tron really is pretty good at covering long distances.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My experience after a couple of weeks is that 2.7mi/kWh is achievable with care around town, and I managed 3mi/kWh on a 40 mile round trip (80% of which was 60mph motorway). I'm making a conscious effort to drive efficiently.

I think if I was really careful I could get 200 miles on a 100% charge, but I'm not brave enough to push it and find out.

If it's the 2020 model year (check your VIN) it should have the improvements.
My vin has an L for the tenth digit, so it is a 2020 model. I just have no idea of the month other than between January and May as it was delivered/shipped to the dealer in June and to me in July. None of the placards on the doors, boot or bonnet area have the month and year on them. At least from what I can tell.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's the MY21 cars that have the range improvements; better management of the motors meaning one can be shut down when using low power cruising and they are those built in or after build week 33. Build week 33 is this week (WC 10th August) so if you've got your car already it's not a MY21.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This is not accurate for the Model 3 (it starts at 135kW and goes up to 150kW @just over 50% SoC, then drops away quite fast), but that 150kW charging to 80% is going to become more and more valuable as the rapid charging rollout progresses. The e-tron really is pretty good at covering long distances.
The Model 3 LR can actually charge at up to 250kW. It’s high efficiency also adds on more miles for a given charge rate than other EVs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the model 3 charging times. As you say though it does show that maintaining rapid charging for long distances is vital. The German range race between the E-Tron 50 and the Kona was quite telling. The E-Tron 50 was keeping 125kW right up to 80% and was still charging at almost 80kW at 90% charge. The Kona was 75(ish) kW max but not for long and when just over 70% battery charge was reached it became faster to actually stop charging and leave.

Though obviously this is not exactly a scenario anyone in the real world is likely to face.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's the MY21 cars that have the range improvements; better management of the motors meaning one can be shut down when using low power cruising and they are those built in or after build week 33. Build week 33 is this week (WC 10th August) so if you've got your car already it's not a MY21.
I am aware of the future planned improvements but I have read that there were hardware improvement in relation to brakes causing excess friction that were fixed. This was allegedly meant to add around 6-9 miles to E-Tron range and was introduced for all models built after Nov 2019. Though not sure how accurate that is. Having said that I have what I have and only have a two year lease and have zero intention of keeping the car because in two years there will be better options. One thing worth mentioning is that some EV sites have the E-Tron 50 WLTP range at 195 miles instead of the older 186 miles. I doubt they would change unless there were some changes?

·
879 Posts
I am aware of the future planned improvements but I have read that there were hardware improvement in relation to brakes causing excess friction that were fixed. This was allegedly meant to add around 6-9 miles to E-Tron range and was introduced for all models built after Nov 2019. Though not sure how accurate that is.
You're right. There is some confusion because these changes were not introduced immediately for the US market, and only come into effect for the 2021 MY there. The story first circulated around November 2019 but has then showed up again referring to the Sportback and the US.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts