Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.7 doesn’t seem “too bad” to me considering it’s bulk weighs a few tonne. Was your town driving with any other features such as A/C, fan on etc?

I have a 7-8 mile commute basically with two options: Sticking to 30MPH roads with a few traffic lights OR using some 50MPH roads. I’d have thought the 30MPH roads would be more efficient however, the more stop/start would likely balance it out?

Do you find regen or coasting more efficient? I have to travel through a tunnel, so in theory the regen on the way down should be quite considerable, though it’ll probably charge it just enough to climb out the other side!

Same as above really, test drove the 55 but ordered the 50. Just keen to see what thoughts etc are considering it weighs less but has a smaller battery.

Any thoughts around the regen paddles equating to more power than pedal braking etc?
I've had mine since beginning of March (50 Launch Edition) and they best over had used 2.4. I've been getting 150 miles on full charge. Last night did a 62 mile round trip and got 2.4 on both legs driving at 65mph all the way. I was scratching my head wondering how I could get better than that... 150 is realistic, though it was 2 degrees c, so hoping it'll be better in the warm.

Absolutely love the car though. Had an XF before this and I was sceptical initially. But it's awesome

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
879 Posts
Mixed motorway and town driving just now, in 14 degree temperatures. No big downhill runs or anything. Not bad!

·
Registered
889 Posts
It’s sadly true.

The Merc EQC, I-Pace and E-Tron are all dreadfully inefficient.

Nice cars, but awful on battery range.

So here’s a thing..... £65k on a e-Tron for about 170m range or £35k for a i.d.3 or Kia Niro for 280m range...... bit of a no brainier for most people.

I think these “premium” manufacturers need to up their game..... a lot.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
It’s sadly true.

The Merc EQC, I-Pace and E-Tron are all dreadfully inefficient.

Nice cars, but awful on battery range.

So here’s a thing..... £65k on a e-Tron for about 170m range or £35k for a i.d.3 or Kia Niro for 280m range...... bit of a no brainier for most people.

I think these “premium” manufacturers need to up their game..... a lot.
But, as usual, you’re not comparing like with like. You can’t cheat physics.

These large E-SUVs are just that, and their ICE equivalents are just as different fuel economy wise to any number of ICE hatchbacks.

An e-tron 55 is a much bigger and heavier car than an e-Niro or ID.3, is twice as powerful, has AWD and twice as many motors.

That it uses more energy as a result is hardly surprising. Compare it to an EQC or a Model X, even your I-pace comparison is flawed as it’s trying to be a SUV/Coupe/Hatch.

Nobody would compare an Audi Q7 to a VW Golf or Kia Niro in ICE land, why do people do it in EV world? Is it just because they’re EVs?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nothing to do with ICE or EV as a 2.5tonne brick is just that. Some people will need that size of vehicle but the vast majority do not and i have a noumber of friends who prove that- they just do not mind how much it costs or the planet as long as it looks the part,whatever that means.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Nothing to do with ICE or EV as a 2.5tonne brick is just that. Some people will need that size of vehicle but the vast majority do not and i have a noumber of friends who prove that- they just do not mind how much it costs or the planet as long as it looks the part,whatever that means.
You posted about the ‘dreadful’ efficiency, but now it’s about owning a 2.5 tonne brick they don’t need?

Most people are in a very glass house with that argument, who really needs even a small hatchback most of the time, when walking, a bicycle or public transport would do the job nicely?

On the planet front, the best thing for it would be no cars and many fewer humans on it, so the ‘SUVs are killing the planet’ argument is pretty weak.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,897 Posts
For now, the sorts of inefficiencies from BEVs is being hidden and not discussed.

2.7mi/kWh will be around 2.1mi/kWh from the wall, which will be around 2mi/kWh from the power station.

At 300g.CO2/kWh, that'd be ~100g.CO2/km.

OK, a lot better than an equivalent vehicle in an ICE form, but maybe the next step is to tax BEVs according to their electricity consumption, not simply what energy they consume.

On my particular well-rehearsed efficient commute at a steady 52mph, I used to get 80mpg commuting in my 2000 Octavia 1.9TDi, about 80g.CO2/km on a real-world commute.

Steady decarbonisation of the electricity is the way to deal with that, of course, but the more efficient the BEV the less 'strain' there is on trying to get decarbonisation improvements just to keep up with past ICE performance.

.... or just drive slower, if you got the car to reduce CO2 emissions! ... ;)

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
For now, the sorts of inefficiencies from BEVs is being hidden and not discussed.

2.7mi/kWh will be around 2.1mi/kWh from the wall, which will be around 2mi/kWh from the power station.

At 300g.CO2/kWh, that'd be ~100g.CO2/km.

OK, a lot better than an equivalent vehicle in an ICE form, but maybe the next step is to tax BEVs according to their electricity consumption, not simply what energy they consume.

On my particular well-rehearsed efficient commute at a steady 52mph, I used to get 80mpg commuting in my 2000 Octavia 1.9TDi, about 80g.CO2/km on a real-world commute.

Steady decarbonisation of the electricity is the way to deal with that, of course, but the more efficient the BEV the less 'strain' there is on trying to get decarbonisation improvements just to keep up with past ICE performance.

.... or just drive slower! ... ;)
300g CO2 per kWh looks to be a bit on the high side for U.K. electricity generation from the sources I’ve looked at, but the point is made and taken.

And yes, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if such a efficiency based tax scheme was introduced at some point.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,897 Posts
300g CO2 per kWh looks to be a bit on the high side for U.K. electricity generation from the sources I’ve looked at, but the point is made and taken.

And yes, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if such a efficiency based tax scheme was introduced at some point.
I'm all for nuclear. If we get electricity too cheap to meter (we just pay for the level of kW installation into the house) which is not at all impossible if we really wanted to do that, then go ahead, let everyone drive around in oversized cars, because everyone ignores the particulate emissions that BEVs generate anyway (twice as much from e-tron as from an Ioniq)!

Maybe tax particulate emissions too?

Driving slower will also reduce your particulate emissions.

There is a logic to what America did back in the 70's to set the national speed limit to 55mph. I think it worked well, and no-one died of old age because of the time taken driving back and forth across the country. (In fact, most people happily drove across the whole of the US at 55mph precisely because they were old and had winter homes in Florida!)

The e-tron is a very good argument for bringing in 55mph limits everywhere.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Careful, this is the argument that got us into diesels in the first place and confuses the efficiency of a carefully driven car that is at the correct operating temperatures and maps it onto the school run for Chelsea Tractors.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if such a efficiency based tax scheme was introduced at some point.
That would be very hard to design, but then the point of taxes is more to raise money and a typical e-tron owner is probably better able to afford the tax than the owner of the original style Ioniq. No doubt the new Ioniq brand SUVs will head towards e-tron levels of efficiency. :mad:

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
889 Posts
I doubt it - they have learned the BMS and other skills needed to create a good battery solution. The new EV6 is promising 245Wh/mile (4 miles per KWh) down to 3.5 in colder weather. Even if that’s 10% confident, it’s still 3.2 to 3.6 which is a lot better than 2.9

The Ioniq is likely to be very similar......

The Koreans need to catch up on interior materials, and the Germans on the actual BMS, battery and motor set ups.... if they collaborated.... ye gods that could be some car!

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
I was seriously considering a new etron as a replacement for my Q7 but the range is a real killer for me. Also, being told I would have to wait until November at the earliest for delivery sealed that deal! (not!) I reckon that the new Q6 might be a great car and the range will be at much better. The etron may have been their first ev, but Audi didn't start with a clean sheet ev design for it and it really shows.

I wish VW would import the ID6 to the UK/Europe as it would be ideal for me.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts