Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After test driving the Etron, I have to say I am really really tempted by the car. It is such a nice car to sit in. The range worries me slight - has anyone seen any range or efficiency real world figures for the Etron 55 Sportback?

I am not worried about town driving as it will be plugging in each night. Its more for the long trips, so interested to see the motorway speed range and efficiency.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts
We've got the 55 SUV (or is it an estate). My wife the main driver, she's obviously pretty lead footed and she's getting about 170 miles at 100%. Which TBH is OK for her usage but it's pretty poor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've got the 55 SUV. My wife the main driver, she's obviously pretty lead footed and we're getting about 170 miles at 100%. Which TBH is OK for her usage but it's pretty poor.
When you say SUV do you mean the non Sportback version. It's not great but manageable as we need to stop every 2-3 hours with the kids anyway. I read that the Sportback is more efficient than the regular Etron so if that 170 gets closer to 200 it could be really appealing, especially with the fast charging speed it has.

·
EV Convert
689 Posts
Correct. Although there may be minor aerodynamic dfferences it's the same underneath so I wouldn't expect much of a difference in day to day use.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you want efficiency and don't need the boot space of the full size E-Tron get something else (Polestar Performance). I don't know what possesses people to look at the 'Sportback' style of car (Mercedes SUV coupes, Audi Sportbacks, BMW X6) - the proportions and rear end aesthetics are hideous (IMO).

Each to their own of course, and Bjorn on Youtube has done the maths associated with the aerodynamics and efficiency of the 55 SUV and Sportback.

You can get a Taycan 4S for the price of a 55 Sportback...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want efficiency and don't need the boot space of the full size E-Tron get something else (Polestar Performance). I don't know what possesses people to look at the 'Sportback' style of car (Mercedes SUV coupes, Audi Sportbacks, BMW X6) - the proportions and rear end aesthetics are hideous (IMO).

Each to their own of course, and Bjorn on Youtube has done the maths associated with the aerodynamics and efficiency of the 55 SUV and Sportback.

You can get a Taycan 4S for the price of a 55 Sportback...
The Sportback attraction for me was more around range, rather than anything else. Can you link the Bjorn video as I couldn't find it for the 55, only the 50.

It would be a family car so I think the Polestar might be slightly small, although haven't looked in to it properly due to its range and slow charging according to Bjorn videos.

·
EV Convert
689 Posts
If you want a practical family car then the boxy SUV is a better bet from a practicality POV. Doubt very much the real world range will differ enough to make a big differemnce. Styling a matter of personal taste of course, good job we don't all like the same things...!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want a practical family car then the boxy SUV is a better bet from a practicality POV. Doubt very much the real world range will differ enough to make a big differemnce. Styling a matter of personal taste of course, good job we don't all like the same things...!
According to Audi given they are only selling the sline on the sportback it actually has a slightly lower rated range.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would bet that wheel/tyre size has the most impact on efficiency between the different 55 models.

I have 55 SUV with standard wheels and get 185 miles with only town driving, dynamic drive mode, full air con and spirited driving.

When on holiday with a long drive, fully packed car, carrying family of 4, eco air con, efficiency driving mode, 70mph max and light accelerator I can get 200 miles without too much effort.

·
EV Convert
689 Posts
I would bet that wheel/tyre size has the most impact on efficiency between the different 55 models.

I have 55 SUV with standard wheels and get 185 miles with only town driving, dynamic drive mode, full air con and spirited driving.

When on holiday with a long drive, fully packed car, carrying family of 4, eco air con, efficiency driving mode, 70mph max and light accelerator I can get 200 miles without too much effort.
Sounds about right.

·
EV Convert
689 Posts
According to Audi given they are only selling the sline on the sportback it actually has a slightly lower rated range.
The 'rated' range is a guide to how different cars compare under test conditions. You'll never get anything like it in normal use.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was convinced i'd watch Bjorn do the videos but I can't see the data on his publically shared Google Sheets.

In the 'Geilo' test he carries out the difference in efficiency for the 50 and 50SB was 11% improvement in favour of the SB but there was a 10 degree temperature and 6 month difference between the two runs.

Its also relevant to note that the 55 is 160kg heavier than the 50

1 - 12 of 12 Posts