Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very occasionally I've noticed that when putting the car in reverse that pressing the accelerator pedal results in the car driving forwards. The rest of the car's features are registering that you're in reverse (parking sensors are enabled, rear camera comes on etc) but reverse gear clearly isn't harnessed. It usually fixes itself after a few attempts of restarting car but this is impractical, dangerous and risks damaging the car (I've practically run out of forward space after multiple attempts to reverse).

Anyone else suffered this issue?

·
Registered
195 Posts
3 months and over 5,000 Km's and that has never happened to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not really the same thing but had a delay in reverse gear engaging particularly when doing 3 point turns. Since I've never driven an automatic before, is it necessary to come to a complete halt before switching between reverse/forward?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Never

Occassionally I have pressed the start button and it hasn't come on, so press the accelerator and nothing, but never went the wrong way

·
Registered
195 Posts
I find that when I don't apply enough pressure to the brakes when I start the car, it won't start properly. I'd have to then turn off the car and do it again (with more pressure) and then all's good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pressing the start button without depressing the brake turns on the electrics to the car, but not the engine (the efficiency dial will remain low). To start the "engine" you can simply depress the brake and press the start button again without having to cycle the power on/off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, this has happened to me more than once while parallel parking. It really caught me off guard and made me very cautious and deliberate with my next attempt (to reverse). Ensuring that the car has completely stopped before shifting, then waiting a moment or two before pressing the accelerator once in reverse seems to help. It's happened so infrequently that I wasn't really sure if I was just imagining things, or had rushed the shifting process too much.

Honestly I'm still not sure if it's something I'm doing, but now I pay a lot more attention to the steps taken when reversing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @RandyG - that's very interesting to hear. Yes, just like you I thought I was imagining it the first time it happened; my girlfriend couldn't understand why I suddenly seemed incapable of parking properly! But then the same thing happened to her at the weekend and it all made sense. Definitely very infrequent and seems quite random. Since I've now heard of this happening to somebody else, I think I may get in touch with the dealer about it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a few years later from this old thread found via Google, but I thought it might help others to post... so today (for the first time ever) our 2019 A3 eTron drove forward while in reverse. There was around 6 feet (2m) clearance in front of the car, and we braked immediately after it started moving forward. Double checked the gear. Definitely in Reverse (both lever and the 'R' showing on the instrument panel. Shifted gear out and back into reverse. Tried again. Moved forward another 1 - 2 feet (we were facing down a downhill slope, so now feeling dangerous). Turned the car off, then restarted and tried again. Almost out of room now, with a pole in front of the car. It moved forward again - now resting on the pole with a small dent in the bumper. Time to call Audi Assist!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts