Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Happy to see they will be Ecotricity points (except Ireland).
These are filling a huge gap in the NW with a smattering elsewhere.

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It seems like the EU are only funding routes to the extremes of the empire, nothing going down to the southwest I see

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to work out frim the map locations near me. Looks like Chester, Wrexham, Oswestry, Telford. But not Shrewsbury which is a shame for selfish reasons as I work there....and there is no working 24 hour charging available there at all.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As per normal... we are forgotten :(
Aimed at two particular east west routes this one. So sadly no south west chargers....I feel your pain! These will be our first ever rapids in Shropshire. At least you have some on the M5, and in dealers!

The funding is described as led by Nissan with money also from other manufacturers and the EU. Be interesting to know the split!

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
The RCN map is here ---> http://rapidchargenetwork.com/drivers.php

Three show live: Roadchef Killington Lake, Roadchef Chester and Roadchef Stafford South.

Fills in several major gaps in the current network. Makes a huge difference for us. At the moment North Wales has no rapids at all and North West England has just a handful.

A disclaimer says the location of planned sites is subject to change

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
It seems like the EU are only funding routes to the extremes of the empire, nothing going down to the southwest I see
Aren't there already rapids along the M4 and the M5? Can you reach those?

As I recall there is also a rapid at a Nissan dealer near Plymouth.

Until a few days ago the closest rapid to us was at a Nissan dealer 107 miles from our house.

The RCN rapid at Chester Services has dropped that to 77 miles.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
As I recall there is also a rapid at a Nissan dealer near Plymouth.
Only available when the dealer is open and in any case... no good to people in most of Cornwall as Plymouth is in Devon and out of reach of most of Cornwall by EV.

The RCN is not about putting in a national rapid charge network anyway... they don't make that claim. It is about linking up the main ports and there by linking Europe together.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly the details don't show on my mobile....which in my eco extremism is my only net access!

If anyone can tell me what the 3 south of Chester would be grateful....looks like Wrexhsm, Oswestry, Telford to me...?

The RCN map is here ---> http://rapidchargenetwork.com/drivers.php

Three show live: Roadchef Killington Lake, Roadchef Chester and Roadchef Stafford South.

Fills in several major gaps in the current network. Makes a huge difference for us. At the moment North Wales has no rapids at all and North West England has just a handful.

A disclaimer says the location of planned sites is subject to change

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is the sort of approach I always thought would take place for ev's instead of the Local authority funding approach where you end up with lots of local chargers dotted around regions, run by different operators with different cards and charging structures.

Seems like it's a step in the right direction even if it doesn't cover everywhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The optimistic side of me thinks this is wonderful news.

The pessimist is concerned that they have seven weeks to get thirty four more rapids in if they're going to stay on schedule.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The two parking bays per charger arrangement does really make you think that two cars could be charged simulataneously. :confused:

It's a shame that's not the case :oops:

I wonder if this could be added via a hardware/software addition in the future. It seems especially odd considering that there are two sets of controls next to the display unit for the left and right side. Is this simply poor design?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The two parking bays per charger arrangement does really make you think that two cars could be charged simulataneously. :confused:

It's a shame that's not the case :oops:

I wonder if this could be added via a hardware/software addition in the future. It seems especially odd considering that there are two sets of controls next to the display unit for the left and right side. Is this simply poor design?
I don't think this would happen as *I think* the charger is only rated at 50kw max output.

I think what would be clever via a software upgrade is the charger could charge at a peak of 50kW. But share to both charge connectors simultaneously sharing the 50kW peak power. This would be advantageous when for example a Leaf on the CHAdeMO is ramping down its charge when it reaches a higher SOC.

One question I would like to ask is that does the Zoe on the AC side ramp it's charge rate down as it's SOC gets to a higher level.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts