Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'd mumbled about this in other threads, but thought I'd start a new thread for reference.

Recently, when going to pull the dust cover from the Type 2 Charge Socket on the E-Up! It has not been releasing. As of course is part of the spec on the Type 2 socket, there is a small pin which locks the plug, and also in the case of the dust cover, in to prevent it being pulled out.

When unlocking the car, you can normally hear this pin release. When it doesn't release, I don't hear the noise.

My current strategy is to keep locking and unlocking the car (probably not good for the locks!) and pulling the plug.

I've spoken to JCB VW and they'll be able to look at it in a couple of weeks. I'll report back on their findings!

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the pin just sticking? Perhaps some chain lubricant or similar (not something like WD40).
I can't even hear the little servo, so I'm not sure...

The good news is that we get an E-Golf as a courtesy car!!! Whoop!

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's more a software bug rather than there being anything actually faulty with the pin - it just has a mind of its own about whether it releases or not!!!

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aah. The old IT two-step..

I did think that turning the ignition on and off made a difference, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello toms,

I have the exact same problem, and use the same workaround: press car open repeatedly on the key remote until the port releases the cover or charge plug.

I have an appointment this week at my dealer's service workshop for the replacement of the charge port, which takes two days of work because it also incurs changing the cable from the port to the inverter...

Regards,
Stéphane

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Is quite a big job - the E-Up is still in the garage. To change the charge socket involves taking the battery out and a lot of trim. The part is on back order too.. In hoping to have the car back early next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Toms,

I just got my e-Up back from the service workshop. Brought it in last tuesday evening so that they could start working on it early Wednesdey morning; took them wed+thu+fri+mon, that's 4 full days.

They replaced the charge port's lock mechanism, but as you already know this also takes replacing the AC+DC cable running from the charge port to the inverter/battery. Thus they had to detach/reattach the battery from under the car, and that seems to be a lot of work, each screw was tightened to prescripted torque using suitable wrenches etc.

They also applied the "97AR quality action", which is threefold: ECU software update + replace 12V battery negative cable + replace a fuse.

My dealer told me this was the 1st e-Up in France to be serviced apart from software update, so they took their time, and were in touch with the competent german headquarters who provided required tooling and instructions. They also had to create an "electric area" in the workshop ; the job was done by their only trained guy, who told me he learnt a lot.

My dealer's people are very nice, and went as far as to send me pictures taken at various stages of the process.

Regards,
--
Stéphane

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Stephane,

Mine is still in the workshop for the same procedure and 97AR Quality Action. It has been 2 weeks now, and I do not have my car back!

Apparently the cable from the charge port to the inverter was replaced first, but the fault still remained through extensive testing. They are now changing a shorter loom from the ECU to inverter Hopefully this fixes it.

Thankfully, the awesome @Darren Smith has provided me a Leaf on a 7 day loan to try out - maybe I'll convert to the Leaf camp if the E-Up! proves to remain problematical!!

Tom

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oooh - looks like it's fixed! collecting later today :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear that :)

Please ask them some details about the procedure and any kind of odds they ran into, so we will consolidate our knowledge !

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would, but I'll be sending my partner to go and pick it up.. hopefully, I'll get some kind of job card/report with it.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So.. We got the Up back and the charge port solenoid works, but the car isn't reporting time to charge properly, and more worryingly, won't rapid charge!!!! So currently stuck at Lakeside IKEA on the type 2 plug at 16A and eating a lot of meatballs as we won't get back at this rate in the cold and dark.

Faith in VW failing... :(

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, more oddness today with the range reporting all over the place, so we called out VW assist. The 'very very nice man' from 'VW assist' *cough* The AA, scanned it and declared the charger controller unit probably fooked. So, low loader arriving tomorrow and poor little Upton will once again be in the garage. As a courtesy car we've been offered a Fiat 500 petrol - erm? Really?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts