Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,176 Posts
What gives you the impression they have any commitment at all? They want to sell diesels and as the CEO says, they are waiting for the diesel renaissance when us stupid customers realise how clean they are.

(Admission; the 'stupid' adjective was one I slipped in. The rest is essentially verbatim.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
They often swap over production to updated models in the summer holidays, it more likely a sign that they have the production roster full until then (boosted by the recent price drop) and the new updated battery that we are expecting later in the year will be the version you can order when ordering reopens in the summer.
Additionally, if they are also starting to make an electric version of the Citigo E for Seat (basically the same car, different badge) and that is also build in Slovakia then they need production slots to build up launch stock of that model.

VW e-Up order stop due to delivery issues - electrive.com

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought they would be more aggressive in their greenwashing of their dieselgate....looks like they think thats in the rear view mirror now

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Can we stop going on about dieselgate?.. Although a lovely car the e-Up is selling so poorly as it is completely uncompetitive in terms of price and range that I am not in the slightest bit surprised that they are pausing sales..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
err, why do you think we should stop going on about it? if you think its tedious I can understand that, but is there another reason?

Can we stop going on about dieselgate?.. Although a lovely car the e-Up is selling so poorly as it is completely uncompetitive in terms of price and range that I am not in the slightest bit surprised that they are pausing sales..

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
if you think its tedious I can understand that
Thank you! It just feels a bit like people who still haven’t forgiven the Germans for the Second World War. It was bad and deserved our condemnation but it’s over now.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I saw an unregistered eUp at a VW garage within the last month, with the delivery white plastic on it.
I did wonder who'd ordered one.

I wonder if they will drop it as a VW model, and let the Seat Citigo E mini BEV replace it later in 2019/early 2020.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,176 Posts
Are you saying that VW's interest in perpetuating diesel sales, and the high price and lack of availability of the eUp, are unrelated?

hmm....

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
In future it will make no sense to build EVs not on EV-specific platforms. I expect small cars from VAG based on a cutdown ID platform.
I read once that the UP! was designed from the outset as an electric vehicle, with the flat sandwich floor, but I might have imagined it.

Maybe it was before it’s time, and it seems that since then people want something bigger with 200 miles of range minimum anyway before they sell like hot cakes.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
What gives you the impression they have any commitment at all? They want to sell diesels and as the CEO says, they are waiting for the diesel renaissance when us stupid customers realise how clean they are.

(Admission; the 'stupid' adjective was one I slipped in. The rest is essentially verbatim.)
The VW CEO who made the ‘Diesel Renaissance’ comment (Müller) was ousted as CEO in April 2018.

Herbert Diess became CEO of Volkswagen AG, and you may or may not have read that he is very pro EV and has some very ambitious plans.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
I read once that the UP! was designed from the outset as an electric vehicle, with the flat sandwich floor, but I might have imagined it.

Maybe it was before it’s time, and it seems that since then people want something bigger with 200 miles of range minimum anyway before they sell like hot cakes.
I had a similar memory and thought the early concepts werr universally shown as an electric car. However I have been unable to find confirmation. I have found this though...

.Volkswagen’s electric E-Up! Concept – 84 mph and 80 mile range

·
Registered
7 Posts
The leaked plans are for a new e-Up alongside eCitigo and eMii around October this year. I'd be expecting an announcement around Geneva.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The (petrol) citigo certainly doesn't have flat sandwich floor - on the contrary, the floor behind the front seats is very deep, with a large "transmission tunnel" in the middle. Haven't been in a petrol Up!, but I imagine it's the same
The e-Up! has raised floor in the back, making it uncomfortable to sit there (knees in your chin, can't put feet under the front seat). Which is a shame, because the citigo is reasonably comfortable and very spacious for four mid-sized adults, considering its outside dimensions.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts