Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read in a few places that VW have quietly dropped the e-up?

VW website says "Currently unavaliable for orders in the UK"

Looks like its gone the way of the e-citigo :(

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
It wouldn’t surprise me, if only for the reason that VW won’t benefit from EVs sold in the UK next year so no whole range emissions benefits.

Whilst they’ll supply the volume stuff (ID.3/4 etc), there can‘t be much of a case for a slow seller like the e-Up! to be built in sufficient numbers in RHD form to make it a profitable exercise?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
As above, they are probably going to focus e-Up sales on LHD mainland Europe so they count towards EU Emissions in 2021. I suspect the Fiat 500 would have sold a lot better than it anyway as a more modern EV, be interesting to see how many Fiat make available for UK Market, orders open early 2021.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,918 Posts
VW won’t benefit from EVs sold in the UK next year so no whole range emissions benefits
A quietly dropped policy post-BREXIT. We should introduce a similar policy here so that the buyers of Jaguar, RR, Bentley, Mclaren etc. have to subsidise the low cost end of EVs.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a shame its a great car. I had a petrol up before my Egolf and it was a lovely little runabout.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was sorry to hear this. Our first EV was an e-Up! and (apart from the first day driving it 200 miles home with most EH CCS sockets being incompatible ! ) it was a great little car. We initially bought it for use only as a 'shopping trolley' but after the first few weeks tended to use it for all journeys under 60 miles (which was about 9 out of 10 days). We decided to upgrade to something with a longer range so that we could pension off our oil burner.

An e-Golf would have been first choice - until our friendly local VW salesman refused to take the e-Up! in part exchange and 'advised' us that an EV was completely unsuitable for us (in spite of us having had one for 2+ years :unsure: ). Hence the Nissans.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An e-Golf would have been first choice - until our friendly local VW salesman refused to take the e-Up! in part exchange and 'advised' us that an EV was completely unsuitable for us (in spite of us having had one for 2+ years :unsure: ). Hence the Nissans.
Go in there now and i bet they are gagging to flog you a ID3 first edition

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Go in there now and i bet they are gagging to flog you a ID3 first edition
Expect they are (especially if the dinosaur has been retired) but I'm afraid they're going to have to keep gagging for a few years

·
Registered
58 Posts
Greetings from the south of France.

Here what were told when I tried to get the 3rd e-UP (we have had two over 6 years): that the rebates in Germany and elsewhere maxed the orders to delivery timeplines. As I understood, the range of the car thanks to the 32kw pack went up, and the price down (plus rebtes). Apparently in Germany, the price was compelling enough to make the delivery time up to 16 months out as they got a rush of orders. Probably they never anticipated some number of production, as the e-UP was not like a best seller previously.

I had other stores about the Zwickau plant vs Slovakia and the "need or desire" to refactor production over to the ID lines. I spoke to the EV "expert" (means sales person) and EV mechanic (only 2 in this region). So, messing up the stories, it seems not likely to see any "configurable" e-UPs in 2021. But, there are always "plated" cars (somebody registered it) around in France. So, I think we might find something like that next year if there are any around with all the options.

In the end, I was offered some of the demo units that are sitting around France on dealer lots and a lot of pressure to go with the ID3 as well. The latter is no good for the parking around here, even the e-Golf was a bit bigger and the e-UP has always been good for us in the city. We have considered a Zoe or the e-208....both have their own set of complications, like renting batteries in one case (n)

So, we will run this one (current e-UP) into the ground and wait to see if other models appear in the next couple years. My best guess is VW is just not "currently" looking into the small compact city dweller market and believes mainstream is best. Probably the numbers work that way. However, my view is 80% of the people that live an Uraban life, probably could do fine with a 200km range car. Besides, it usually is parked 80% of the time.

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't the Seat Mii exactly the same car with a different badge?
A few slightly different stylings inside and out but 99% yes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts