Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my charging cable replaced under guarantee. (1,500 miles & 11 weeks from delivery)

Initiation of charging was only happening first time about once in three attempts. Usually it worked the second time, but sometimes I had to unplug and re-insert the plug over and over again before the tell-tale 'click' from the charging unit, the lights starting their little dance, and charging getting under way. (Once started, however, it never failed to run to completion). It took me a long time to figure out what was happening and at first I used to play with all the buttons, lock and unlock the car, mutter dark oaths, and so on, until eventually, thank heaven, it always started. But recently I have pinned it down to this much simpler procedure of just unplugging and re-plugging until it clicked.

I contacted VW by email and after consulting their technical department they told me that some charging units had a faulty relay and they recommended getting the garage to try a new one. My garage went ahead and ordered in a replacement for me, which was just as well because there were apparently only two left in the country! (Methinks I may not be the only one who has had the problem!)

Fortunately the fault appeared in the workshop this morning so they were able to authorise the replacement under guarantee. This was good because intermittent electrical faults can be a nightmare to pin down, let alone prove.

They charged it for an hour in the workshop without trouble, which let me drive the 30 miles home in a relatively unrestrained way, leaving any enormous gas-guzzlers who decided to breathe down my neck puzzled little specks in the rear view mirror. And charging started first time when I got home. Not that I have entirely uncrossed my fingers.

So - if anyone else gets this problem - don't take three months, as I did, to realise that it isn't something you are doing wrong!

But, I just LOVE this little car.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Polestar 2
382 Posts
Woohoo! Glad you got it sorted.

Our little Up is in the garage at the moment for the charge port solenoid issue. - if your charging plug gets stuck in, you'll have this issue.

We are 2500 miles in and loving it too..

Also loving its big brother the Golf we are currently driving :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woohoo! Glad you got it sorted.

Our little Up is in the garage at the moment for the charge port solenoid issue. - if your charging plug gets stuck in, you'll have this issue.

We are 2500 miles in and loving it too..

Also loving its big brother the Golf we are currently driving :)
So far the charge port has worked fine. More excitement for the future, perhaps...
The e-golf does seem to be a lovely car too, but I haven't tried one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
James, My e-Up! stopped charging altogether, 3 weeks in. The dealership took it back for a week, and replaced the cable and an in-car part of the charging system.
Love mine too, but also hate it! Current issue is with website (and app) not recognising my PIN, so I can't play with the toys I feel I bought in the not insubstantial price ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this forum is great, but it would be nice to see a post from an e-up! owner who hasn't had charging problems! It's a little unsettling to see these problems arising in brand new cars. Perhaps it's the old internet problem of selectively hearing when things have gone wrong. If so, please join us, ye happy and contented owners out there. (Actually, I am happy and contented now that I have a new charging cable...)

Henry - My car-net app works well on my android (Nexus 5) phone, so much so that I hardly use the computer program to access it at all. I wonder whether re-installing your app would let you set up the PIN again. Probably you've tried that. Please say how you get on.

One evening mine went haywire while a normal charging process was going on, bearing no relationship to what was actually happening. It told me that the charging cable was unplugged when it clearly wasn't, and it actually showed the range having gone down at one point. Then the charging process terminated normally, after the expected time, with full battery when I checked the car.

Remote starting and stopping of the charging process seems a little hit and miss, but when it works it makes it easy to turn on the charging when the sun is shining and our solar panels are generating some, or in summer all, of the energy being used. Then we are quite literally running on sunshine.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Yes, this forum is great, but it would be nice to see a post from an e-up! owner who hasn't had charging problems! It's a little unsettling to see these problems arising in brand new cars. Perhaps it's the old internet problem of selectively hearing when things have gone wrong. If so, please join us, ye happy and contented owners out there. (Actually, I am happy and contented now that I have a new charging cable...)
People come for their problems, stay for the wonderful company. :D

Maybe. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, James.
I agree with you. Right down to the desire to be able to get it charging when the photovoltaic panels are making free electricity.
I have deleted and re-downloaded the app to my S4 mini more than once, but thanks for the suggestion.
My current active ways of pursuing this are customer service saying they will get back to me and Auto Express seeing if they can get a response from VW ...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Consider your request granted! Six months on the road, 8000 miles, no issues charging or with the 13amp charger (which I still use from time to time so that I know it's working).

Henry - My car-net app works well on my android (Nexus 5) phone, so much so that I hardly use the computer program to access it at all. I wonder whether re-installing your app would let you set up the PIN again. Probably you've tried that. Please say how you get on.

One evening mine went haywire while a normal charging process was going on, bearing no relationship to what was actually happening. It told me that the charging cable was unplugged when it clearly wasn't, and it actually showed the range having gone down at one point. Then the charging process terminated normally, after the expected time, with full battery when I checked the car.

Remote starting and stopping of the charging process seems a little hit and miss, but when it works it makes it easy to turn on the charging when the sun is shining and our solar panels are generating some, or in summer all, of the energy being used. Then we are quite literally running on sunshine.
I never worked out how to get car-net working, the website always seemed to be borked. Am I really missing out on anything?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never worked out how to get car-net working, the website always seemed to be borked. Am I really missing out on anything?
I don't have any trouble seeing it up but I use it almost entirely on my Android smartphone (it works on my Android tablet too). I wouldn't really want to be without it. In fact I did have a problem when it stopped updating and I actually booked it in with the dealer.
They seemed to reboot the system at the car end and it has been done since.
Whole it was in they implemented an official recall and replaced the charging cable (my third-the second having been faultless) and the relay which detects the cable beyond plugged in, also faultless. This was a big job and they had to order some sort of single-use gasket which VW would not let them order until they actually needed it, and then took two days to deliver it! But they lent me a brand new diesel Golf, reminding me how much I prefer the EV.
I use the so mainly to check the progress of charging, but I can also stop and restart charging remotely, and also start the air conditioning - provided the car is plugged in. It also tells me where it is parked. Reassuring to see it is still in the garage at home when you are on holiday, but my wife thought it was a bit intrusive when she got back after a walk with a friend and I said "how was Hartley Mawdit pond?" !

I'd recommend having another go at setting it up. Oh yes, last thing, it is seriously impressive when you show it off...

Good luck. Tell us how you get on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We've been using the car net system too since getting the e-up in January. The app was simple to set up and was great to check the chafe levels, efficiency and pre heat in winter!

For some reason the car net system hasn't updated all the data since mid May. If there a way to reset it at the car end? Would rather not loose any historic data though. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For some reason the car net system hasn't updated all the data since mid May. If there a way to reset it at the car end? Would rather not loose any historic data though. Thanks, Joe
It sounds like the problem I had. Mine had stopped updating for more than a month by the time I contacted the dealer. I'm not quite clear what actually put it right because the main job turned out to be the work involved in the charge mechanism recall, but it did involve powering everything down and restarting it. Then when I tried it (from home while it was still in the garage 30 miles away!) it was working again. And it's been fine ever since.
If you do ask your dealer by all means tell them that I had the same problem. They might even contact Peter Cooper of Southampton to share experiences.
As for losing historical data- I have a complete record back to 13 December last year (for some reason, we took delivery in August) so although the data does not seen to go right back it was certainly not wiped by whatever they did in mid April.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like the problem I had. Mine had stopped updating for more than a month by the time I contacted the dealer. I'm not quite clear what actually put it right because the main job turned out to be the work involved in the charge mechanism recall, but it did involve powering everything down and restarting it. Then when I tried it (from home while it was still in the garage 30 miles away!) it was working again. And it's been fine ever since.
If you do ask your dealer by all means tell them that I had the same problem. They might even contact Peter Cooper of Southampton to share experiences.
As for losing historical data- I have a complete record back to 13 December last year (for some reason, we took delivery in August) so although the data does not seen to go right back it was certainly not wiped by whatever they did in mid April.
Ah thanks for your reply, weirdly since asking for advice it has today started to record data again. Nice to have it back, one of the best features of the car! : )

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes, this forum is great, but it would be nice to see a post from an e-up! owner who hasn't had charging problems!
I'm almost in that category - but it's only been a week yet.

Drove home from Southampton last weekend but found I couldn't use the Chieveley CCS. Abs no idea why - it worked for a BMW driver after I'd given up and I had no problems with other CCS stations - so it might be a charging problem or could be a charger problem.

I've also found a few times that 10A charge cable didn't connect properly the first time of trying but it's seemed fine the last couple of nights.

I too intend to make max possible use of solar power - problem of course is that I'd really want car to be available during daylight hours and the cable isn't long enough to drive to town and back ;)

Reactions: JamesW

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eric, I believe the problem with charging cables long enough to get you all the way to town and back is that they entangle other cars and elderly people crossing roads. And hedgehogs. Not good.

But that really is bad news about the Chievely CCS because that is our half way point to a daughter's family in Oxford and we keep meaning to try it in the e-UP! You have to be able to rely on them.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
But that really is bad news about the Chievely CCS because that is our half way point to a daughter's family in Oxford and we keep meaning to try it in the e-UP! You have to be able to rely on them.
According to Ecotricity (and indeed the BMW driver who parked alongside me) the Chievely CCS was in perfect working order; any fault lay with my car's data pins not engaging properly. However, that doesn't explain why my car's data pins suddenly righted themselves at Leicester !

If you ever have a few hours spare (pref Mon - Fri when Ecotricity would answer the phone) , Chievely is only about 40 miles from Alton - you'd get there easily with nearly half a 'tank' to spare and if the CCS wasn't working, a couple of hours on the Mennekes should give you enough charge to get home. I can't alas risk doing the same from Chesterfield.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This week I had my charging cable replaced for the 2nd time. Mine would work, and randomly switch off on a default that VW said was the relay in the cable. I also have had the charge port solenoid replaced... So yes there are some "growing" pains but more I am happy with the car. But I would probably think otherwise if it were in a City without the charging stations and parking they offer :~)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts