Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days after being told that e-Up production had been halted due to "supply constraints" (what's the betting it's battery supply again?) my dealer rang me to tell me that VW had arranged to allocate one or two of the production already completed across the different dealer networks (sounds like the e-Niro approach).

Because I put in a pre-order deposit back in early December one of them has been allocated to me - a white one with the Sharkskin dashboard.

I bless my good fortune, but regret that yet again VW just can't get its act together...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting -- the coronavirus did occur as a possible cause, but I couldn't think in what way..

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I think the China situation is going to impact quite a few things manufacturing wise, over and above battery production.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Absolutely. Sony just recently announced that their sensor business (camera/electronics) are going to be massively affected as 4 big factories are presently closed Due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Sony provide the sensors for many photography manufacturers including the iPhone.
China is involved with so many products that we use worldwide, I am sure there may be other product shortages across the board.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
It is parts suppliers to companies like Bosch and Sony too.

IThey could be depending on a scheduled order of capacitors, connectors, printed circuit boards or even gaskets. Any one part can bring a line to a standstill. I'm sure companies all over are scrambling to get stock of parts they normally get from China.

Most companies stock up ahead of CNY but that could be depleted this week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve just ordered a mii electric and they have assured me there are no production issues . Been quoted June “but likely earlier”

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it is anything to do with China it perhaps shows how dependent the motor industry had become on complicated supply chains. It is not exactly environmentally friendly shipping parts from one continent to another.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
This is mainly stemming from the JIT scheduling a lot of places have moved to so they don't have to stock as much but i think some may revise that methodology :)

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
It is not exactly environmentally friendly shipping parts from one continent to another.
Rail freight emissions from China to EU isn't that bad. There is the possibility of electrifying more of the route too.

Many car assembly plants already have rail sidings. The containers could go all the way to the plant via rail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Coronavirus (Corvid-19 now). Much of China is in indefinite lockdown. Stuff isn't being made or moved. Any stuff.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Enquired about leasing one of these today and was told by leasing company that VW have informed them they can’t take any orders at present.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts