Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most ICE Ups seem to have 14" rims; e-Up! has 15" alloys. Very few are offered with a spare wheel - just a bottle of 'goo' or at best a 'space saver' [sic].

The 'goo' would be a disaster ! A simple puncture that you could get repaired for £10 would, if filled with ‘goo’ become completely useless (the stuff can’t be cleaned off and staying semi-liquid makes the wheel impossible to balance) so I’d need to buy a new tyre and a new repair kit. Probably £100+ rather than £10 to mend a puncture. And it only works for a small hole; tear the sidewall and you're immobile.

I'm not awfully happy with 'space savers' either (and don’t get me started on why not – basically they don’t ‘save’ any space as you still need to reserve enough space to carry the damaged ‘real’ wheel and are limited to 50 miles @50mph. I specified my Volvo with a new ‘proper’ spare – against the erroneous ‘advice’ that it wouldn’t fit in the boot ! - and have been very glad that I did so) but can accept that option for a car that I seldom expect to take more than 50 miles from home.

I hoped that tyre section had been adjusted to give the same rolling radius as other Ups so I'd be able to use a 'standard' Up! spare wheel although when I looked at the tyre sections offered on eBay candidates the RR seemed a bit too far from standard to be acceptable.

I enquired at local VW dealers about spare wheel prices. A Tezzle rim would be £146 (inc vat). The proper Dunlop tyre (but from Blackcircles rather than VW) would be £52.79 Total for fully compatible spare therefore £199 (Gasp !) VW partsman offered me a full size (but 14" ) steel rim for £43 (inc vat) and I could get a BlackCircles economy tyre in 165/70R14 for £37 Total £80. He could find no info on the 'spacesaver' kit price.

Managed to find an eBay seller offering full spacesaver kit for £45. Alas, the 'standard' 115/70R14 tyre worked out at 15% smaller than 'real wheels'. But same chap then offered me a 15" spacesaver with 135/80R15 tyre for £59.99 (inc vat, postage etc). Since I calculated that a 135/80R15 would be almost perfect (RR is 0.25 % smaller than oe) I went ahead and ordered one. That didn't include the VW toy spanner or jack - but why would I want either when I can use my own tools.

If anyone else is interested contact details are :-

PROMOTOR DIRECT LTD
UNIT 2 EAGAR STREET
Manchester
M40 1EP

Phone:01616811609
Fax:01616811609
Email:[email protected]

Wheel arrived this week. One slight snag in that it doesn't quite fit flush in spare wheel compartment - though there's still bags of room to put it in on the slant and still get the false floor fitted flush with the folded down rear seats. Standing it alongside one of the rear wheels (still fitted) it appeared to be just as close a match as I'd calculated. I do rather wonder what would have happened if I'd chosen a wheel that does fit the compartment and had to fit that. With one corner of the car almost 2" closer to ground than the others, I'd hate to drive it a few hundred yards @10mph let alone the 50 @ 50 alleged to be 'safe' !

Now that I've tried out the spare wheel there are a couple of issues – which are stupid things that VW have done rather than being any fault with the wheel.

The spare tyre is – just as I calculated – almost exactly the same diameter as the original equipment wheels. However, VW provide a spare wheel recess that is about 2” too small to fit it in properly ! That’s probably the main reason why most of the eBay spare wheel offerings are also too small and no doubt why I’ve seen warnings about not using the spare on the front. But I can put up with the spare wheel sitting at a bit of a slant which still leaves plenty of room above it but below the ‘false floor’ for stowing the charging cables, jack wheel brace etc so I haven’t really lost any boot space.

The other point is even sillier. When having my test drive with spare on front, I could hear the occasional scraping noise (I only went a mile away and a mile back). When wheel was removed I could see a few flakes of silvery alloy sticking to it so I’m pretty sure that the wheel doesn’t have quite enough internal diameter to clear the brake disk housing. However, I’m almost as sure that’s because the casting was never ‘fettled’ properly and if I set my mind to it I’m sure I could file down some of the casting marks to make the housing fit the wheel. But that's not going to be a job I'm going to do any time soon !

Rather than buying the 'proper' (not in my opinion !) wheelbrace and jack, I've bought a hydraulic bottle jack from another eBay seller for £10 and have 'borrowed' the universal wheel brace from my Volvo (Volvo supply a standard wheelbrace that's just as tatty as a VW one; this is one I bought elsewhere).

At £60 for wheel, £10 for jack (and probably another £10 for a second universal wheelbrace) the total outlay will be recouped when I have my first puncture repaired for £10 rather than nearly £100 for new tyre and new bottle of 'goo'.

If there's anyone else out there who has an e-Up! with a spare wheel :-
Does it fit in the 'proper' spare wheel well ?
Have you tried fitting it and having a test drive yet ?

For anyone with an e-Up! and contemplating a spare, be very careful what you get.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,592 Posts
When I was [seriously] looking at getting an e-Up and was just one good sales pitch from buying one, I was asking VW questions about it. This was one question:-
Donald:- Does it have space below the double-deck boot for a spare (I believe the regular up does)?

their answer...
VW:- There is no spare wheel available option available for the e-up!

At least I got an answer, but regrettably didn't really answer the question, and didn't really seem to want to. I don't think VW regard that space as enough for a spare.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was [seriously] looking at getting an e-Up and was just one good sales pitch from buying one, I was asking VW questions about it. This was one question:-
Donald:- Does it have space below the double-deck boot for a spare (I believe the regular up does)?

their answer...
VW:- There is no spare wheel available option available for the e-up!

At least I got an answer, but regrettably didn't really answer the question, and didn't really seem to want to. I don't think VW regard that space as enough for a spare.

There are several ads on eBay for Up! spare wheels. Some of them include a compatibility check which usually includes the e-Up! This one :-
VOLKSWAGEN UP, SKODA CITIGO, SEAT Mii 14" SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL JACK WRENCH
didn't specifically mention the e-Up! though when I contacted seller they were able to find a wheel with which I was happy.

And my e-Up! most certainly does have a spare wheel shaped space below the double-deck boot - although its diameter is a couple of inches too small to take my wheel. I agree with VW that it's not an ideal site for a proper spare but strongly disagree with their apparent view that it shouldn't be used for one. I see from the VW Up! forum pages that VW actually offer a 'sub-woofer' specially shaped to fit in that otherwise unused area. Words fail me !:censored:

It must be possible (if not economic !) to get a spare wheel for any vehicle - what would you expect to do if one got damaged ? But Promotor (details earlier in thread) would probably be able to supply any size of wheel if you wanted.

What I find strange - nay, downright bizarre ! - is that manufacturers generally have stopped supplying spare wheels as standard and expect you to use their poxy bottles of glue (ruining an otherwise salvageable tyre in the process). I'm sure it's a great business opportunity to swindle unsuspecting punters out of an extra £100 every time they have a puncture but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This could be my last posting in the e-Up! forum. Afraid I've 'jumped ship' and switched to a new Nissan Leaf. Sorry chaps but I couldn't resist the double range which now means I should be able to drive from Chesterfield to Southampton with just one stop in Oxford (which may well be for a gratis charge at the Nissan dealer rather than the Ecotricity rip-off machine at Wheatley). Contrast that with my return from Southampton in the new e-Up! when I had to stop 4 times including one overnighter at my sister's !

I would have loved a new e-Golf which offers just about the same range and got a couple of offers through CarWow at £6k off which made it only slightly dearer than a Leaf (no useful offers for a Leaf there). However, my 'nearest' dealer claiming to be from Sheffield turned out to be a front for another branch in the same group but in Wakefield and when I asked about a test drive was told I'd have to go to York ! I asked if it would be possible for the York demonstrator to be lent to Sheffield but am still awaiting a reply (I guess they weren't sure whether it could go that far - but I definitely couldn't have got the e-Up! to York).

I also asked about an e-Golf in my local VW dealership. Salesman there told me I wouldn't want one ! He wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to order one (of course he would). He had no idea how long the waiting list was (I told him it was 34 weeks but I wasn't in a hurry). He refused point blank to consider taking my car in p/x even if I wanted a petrol Golf (of course I didn't really but he would probably have believed he'd changed my mind).

But I'm digressing from the reason for this post (which you'll notice is in my spare wheels thread). I didn't include the spare wheel with the car when trading it in so am offering it for sale to anyone who cares to make an offer. As you can see above, wheel cost me £60 and it's only ever been used once for a 4 mile drive home from the spot where OH had 'kerbed' it. Incidentally, the bottle of gloop wouldn't have been any help in repairing the two large holes in sidewall !

I'll consider any offer though would obviously prefer one as high as possible. Realistically, I'd probably settle for half price.

I'll have a similar problem with the Leaf but expect to buy a full size steel wheel with tyres matching o/e for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts