Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I've been test driving a number of electric cars recently, with the intention of replacing my current car. The e-up is on the short list. I've had a 30 min test drive, and liked it a lot. Plenty of room for me and my daughter, nice and nippy. It's all sounding Marvellous so far.

However, are there any bad points to it? Is there anything that any owners or knowledgeable others, would pass on to a prospective purchaser?

Whilst it will be the second family car, it will get used most days, very occasionally with 4 people on board.

Any helpful things to consider would be appreciated!

Cheers
Andy

Ps. Anyone had any luck getting an extended test drive out of Vw?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It has a smaller battery compared to other EV's. I would recommend you get at least a day test drive to see if the E-Up range suits your needs.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
CCS infrastructure (the new standard, replacing CHAdeMO) is still a little hit-and-miss. Seems it's not quite a standard standard yet :)

So if you are planning to do long journeys relying on the Ecotricity network ... erm ... good luck and try to check with other owners on here if they have sucessfully charged on your route.

Also worth checking if the range really will do what you need as Dean notes. The smaller e-Up has a smaller battery which negates the smaller size.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
CCS infrastructure (the new standard, replacing CHAdeMO) is still a little hit-and-miss. Seems it's not quite a standard standard yet :)

So if you are planning to do long journeys relying on the Ecotricity network ... erm ... good luck and try to check with other owners on here if they have sucessfully charged on your route.

Also worth checking if the range really will do what you need as Dean notes. The smaller e-Up has a smaller battery which negates the smaller size.
This is really important advice. If you plan to use an e-Up for journeys in a small radius from home and you're always going to charge at home then CCS availability doesn't matter as much.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
We've got one! In the 6 months we've had it, it has spent 5 weeks in the vw garage though... The only two problems we've really had are a rattle and the sticking charger port release (this seems really common). The rest of the time it has been in the garage has been due to the fact it's very new to the dealers and they're not terribly good at fixing IMO... Other E-Up owners have had issues with the onboard charger and the EVSE (charger plug).

CCS is a bit of a pain as there are far more Chademo chargers, meaning long trips are not as easy as in a Leaf, but this should change over the next year.

The car itself is lovely - looks good, roomy up front, plenty of kit and it's pretty fast! Handles and rides well and the telemetry is very cool and useful.

One thing I'd say is that depreciation seems to be Savage. We paid £19k after the PICG 6 months ago. It's worth £10k now in the trade..!

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
The missus also loves that it's so small outside meaning parking and city driving are very easy in it. It also fits in our garage very easily.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
In the long term CSS is supposed to be replacing CHAdeMO, but it'll not be happening overnight.
Not really - the EU standard says that CCS must be included in any new publicly funded charger installations but does not prevent other standards e.g. Chademo to be installaled alongside. There is also nothing stopping privately funded chargers having a different standard e.g. Tesla. Hence all new public rapid chargers in the UK are both Chademo and CCS and will continue to be so.

New cars are also being launched with Chademo rather than CCS e.g. the Outlander PHEV, Soul EV. Nissan seem also fully commited to Chademo as their worldwide standard.

By the time this changes in any meaningful way I expect both standards will have been superceded by induction charging and/or Tesla supercharging.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Chademo is from Japan and is used widely around the world including the US. CCS is an EU approved standard. China will soon be the biggest market for EVs. Wonder what they will use? Probably both!

This isn't a Betamax vs VHS type 'war'.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses. I assume the issues with charging flaps not releasing are teething problems?

It's interesting to see the depreciation. I've had a look on autotrader at some 6-9 month old examples with less than 1000miles on the clock, and they are listed at around £13500. I did wonder if this level of depreciation is likely to continue out past the first year/second year? I also don't know if other EVs are subject to the same sort of levels of depreciation, eg the Leaf, or I3?

It makes me wonder if buying a 6 month old car would be a better idea than a brand new one.

With the smaller battery, I was assuming that the smaller car (less mass!) would compensate for that a little. What sort of real world range are people seeing on this car?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Normally I would advocate buying a car up to 1 year old. A big chunk of depreciation has occurred and you still have a healthy warranty.

However when I looked to go PHEV in June, there were NO used i3s and the savings on a used Ampera just didn't stack up vs new - especially seeing as it comes with a lifetime warranty for the first owner (although I hardly ever keep cars for 3 years, never mind more).

Next year, I'll be looking for a small used BEV for my mother, with a budget up to £8k.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's some cracking advice, thanks. I agree with the sentiment of trying to minimise losses due to depreciation. Having seen evidence of the big losses in the first year, I don't think I could consider a brand new E-up. I'm planning on keeping this car for 2 years, so I do wonder what the value would be like at the end of that period.

I have test driven the i3, and that would be my number 1 choice, but at the moment, it is just too expensive. I've looked at outright purchase, and leasing, and the cost is too much for me.

Maybe one of those ex demo E-ups is the way forward for me.

Andy

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
That's some cracking advice, thanks. I agree with the sentiment of trying to minimise losses due to depreciation. Having seen evidence of the big losses in the first year, I don't think I could consider a brand new E-up. I'm planning on keeping this car for 2 years, so I do wonder what the value would be like at the end of that period.

I have test driven the i3, and that would be my number 1 choice, but at the moment, it is just too expensive. I've looked at outright purchase, and leasing, and the cost is too much for me.

Maybe one of those ex demo E-ups is the way forward for me.

Andy
You can buy mine if you want for what is owed on the finance?!

2700 miles and not even a stone chip on it :D

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
However, are there any bad points to it? I
The VW's are limited to 3.6kW AC charging.

That could be unimportant. Depends on how you drive the car and where you live.

We care but mostly because there are no rapid chargers in North Wales.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah that's interesting. I seem to recall the sales guy telling me having a wallbox thingy installed would give me a full charge from empty in about 3 hours. Surely that's charging at more than 3.3kW? Or was he being economical with the truth?

Regardless, the car will be parked up overnight, and that will be the time it gets a charge. So if it takes 8 hours, not a problem. For long journeys, or journeys with all the family, we would take our diesel Yeti instead... In fact, my daily use would see me putting about 20 miles a day on the car. In the summer this might go up to 35 or so.....

Any other bad points that people consider?

Andy

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Ah that's interesting. I seem to recall the sales guy telling me having a wallbox thingy installed would give me a full charge from empty in about 3 hours. Surely that's charging at more than 3.3kW? Or was he being economical with the truth?
Economical by a factor of two. Six+ hours. Having said that we never found the Leaf's 3kW a limitation except away from home. And we charge the i3 at 4kW at home too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In normal use, I can't actually see where I would charge it, other than at home overnight. It may be that I charge it from work instead, if they were to agree with it, but I would have a full 8 hours (usually more :( ) for it to sit charging there too. Any longer journeys would be done in the other car.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts