Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the used E-Ups on VW's website since I got mine out of interest, and it would seem that not one used/demo/pre-reg E-Up has sold since the summer!

At between £14-17k, are they still over priced?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
There's lots of theories. Mine is that the e-Up is about double the cost of the similarly specced bling-Up (or whatever the highest spec is called). It's pretty hard to justify that size of premium on a car that sips fuel at 60 to 70 mpg if driven how you drive an EV to cover a decent range. The price differential would pay a lot of petrol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We are very happy indeed with our e-up! and would recommend it to anyone, particularly as a second car and if you've got a garage to charge it in. It suffered early on from some unhelpful reviews by petrolhead journalists who didn't get it at all and thought the only reason anyone would buy one would be to save money. Why don't they apply that to other premium models they review! This is definitely a premium model. Sadly these reviews are still the ones you get when you look online.

I'm not at all surprised none are on the second hand market so son after launch. We wouldn't part with ours for anything.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly, as alluded to earlier, PCP deals are more attractive on new, and the dealers have a target to sell, so they'd probably sell new to hit that target.

We can give the Eup back in May as part of the PCP... I'd actually be better refinancing on a used ex demo at this rate! (Or getting a Leaf, but I doubt the 0% deal will be on then)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I guess another reason could be that anyone buying one within a business won't get the 100% first year writing down allowance on a used car.
I was pondering the other day that a BEV really makes a lot more sense for many people as a second car and yet many people would only have used car budget for that vehicle. It does seem strange that an EV makes so much sense for many peoples driving patterns and yet the take up is still slow. Fear of the unknown I guess.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Coming from a 2012 up! black with all the bells I looked at the electric version but I couldn't justify the leap in cost. Don't get me wrong it's a great car but after driving the Zoe that fitted the bill for me. I will miss my heated seats tho ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
My mother will probably be in the market for a car next year. She only does short local journeys so I was going to try and persuade her to get a small used BEV instead of the Toyota Aygo she's considering ie around £7-£8k.

I was thinking it would have to be an i-Miev (or variant) but maybe some e-ups will be down to that next year.

Reactions: John Riley

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
My mother will probably be in the market for a car next year. She only does short local journeys so I was going to try and persuade her to get a small used BEV instead of the Toyota Aygo she's considering ie around £7-£8k.

I was thinking it would have to be an i-Miev (or variant) but maybe some e-ups will be down to that next year.
An E-Up for that sort of money next year:confused:.
Nope don't see it, but if anyone does PM me first there will be a reward:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Think I can convince her of the merits of an EV but the look of the i-MarmiteEV may be a tougher call.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An E-Up for that sort of money next year:confused:.
Nope don't see it, but if anyone does PM me first there will be a reward:)
Mine will have about that to clear on the finance come next year.... Of course a dealer will me sticking 2k profit on top. Trade money for E-Ups currently according to a mate is about £10K :eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've been looking at the used E-Ups on VW's website since I got mine out of interest, and it would seem that not one used/demo/pre-reg E-Up has sold since the summer!

At between £14-17k, are they still over priced?

Funny enough (and apologies for bumping an old thread but it's relevant) I purchased by e-Up! at about the time of your post last November.

I went to a VW dealership in Chester to take a look at a £14K used/demonstrator e-Up! with a couple of thousand miles on the clock and drove out with a new e-Up! for the same price. I had also noticed the glacial movement of used e-Up!'s (on the VW website) so I can only assume that similar stories were taking place up and down the country as dealers look to find ways of bumping up their e-Up! sales.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
But why are they not selling? They look good and they're priced well, yet Renault are shifting Zoes like you wouldn't believe and the VW e-UP jsut isn't.

Does it not have fast charge? Is the range restrictive? Are the dealers not really interested - generally? Are VW UK not really interested and hoping if they drag their heels and not sell any this whole EV thing will just all go away? It worked for Vauxhall.

I like the e-UP and not just cos I'm from Yorkshire.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
As toms know, I was very very nearly at the point of wanting to buy his. In my case it was a toss up between an e-up with few miles on and an Ampera with plenty of miles on, but an engine thrown in. In the end I decided it was worth taking on a car with more miles on the odo for the sake of having a go-anywhere engine, pretty much for the same price. Frankly, it seemed to me at the time that it didn't make sense to have an option to get an engine with it, and turn it down.

I was really so close to going for one. I liked the idea and design of it.

I was sure I could eek out the range for my winter needs, which are usually 50miles/day, though I did have some doubts about when I needed more, and as it turns out I will have to make a +70 mile round trip a few times a week come winter, so I suspect it was probably just as well.

Significant as the mileage and 'engine' were in the decision, that wasn't the 'final straw'.

The final straw was that I got a brochure from VW which had wrong data in it about the car, and that it declared on one page 'it's the details that make the difference'. Well, VW, if you design a car where the steering wheel blocks the speedometer right bang in the 30-70mph range, you are right that it is details like that which turn buyers away because if you can't put the speedo and steering in the right place, what else have you not done?

I should also mention that I contacted 5 dealers, and NONE of them called me back about their advertised e-ups. Chester was one that I said I would go visit (would involve a day and a train ride) and they blanked me.

So maybe the reason they aren't selling is because VW isn't selling them, and when a potential buyer comes hammering on their door, they have no idea how to keep them interested.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I nearly bought an e-Up instead of an e-Golf. I think however its lack of popularity is an indication that the conventional idea of an electric car as a city car is flawed, if not completely wrong.

The e-Up is the first car I would think of as a city car and so an e-Up seems to be a no-brainer. However most EVs are bought as suburban or rural transport, as only on those areas is off-road charging commonly available. And if you're in the suburbs or the country then you have the space and the inclination for something s bit larger.

Also the market segment buying EVs tends to be more affluent and looking for a bit of luxury, not a nippy runabout. It was a major downer for me that the e-Up did not have a proper infotainment system.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think as Tim says, it's the arithmetic.

A city car doing 4000 miles per year where the petrol version is £9000 and the electric version is advertised at £19000 is going to steer people to the petrol car; £10000 is a ridiculous number of years to obtain payback. Plus the petrol one can be handed on down in the family to youngsters to learn on while the electric one isn't much use (can't get a manual licence in an automatic car).

Add in that every time I've gone near a VW dealer I have felt the urge to punch someone afterwards (and not just me - plenty of colleagues on our ludicrously generous car allowance scheme simply gave up trying to buy a VW and went elsewhere).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hang on Tim, what feature of a 'proper info-tainment system' is it that the e-up! hasn't got? Ours has absolutely every bell and whistle I can imagine.

But I do think the omission of a courtesy light for the back seats and in the boot is poor for a premium model.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree with the steering wheel/speedometer being badly placed. But in the end I bought the e-Up! Predominantly on style and size.

It might just be me but I don't understand the obession with large bulky cars, especially since I do a mix of urban and rural and love being able to nip around other vehicles instead of sitting stuck because of yet another person turning right or meeting another car coming the other way on narrow country lanes

Since I'm at 8,000 miles only six months in, I don't think I fit the 4,000 miles a year being banded about either.

As for 'infotainment' I prefer less lights bells and whistles on the info side and Spotify via phone/Bluetooth works a charm (decent bass too).

Horses for courses I guess, I'm not a typical person so the fact I love the e-Up! likely means the general public would hate it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
Out of interest, what sort of range were you getting at the start of the year, Magna?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts